And They Shall Take Up Serpents review by Byzantine

• Released: Jul 12, 2005
Byzantine: And They Shall Take Up Serpents

Byzantine is, by far, one of the greatest metal bands to come out of my home state. Their sound is just like some "Shred Your F--kin Face Off" s--t. It's just plain out crazy! Their music style is like nothing I've ever heard in my life. They're not trying to sound like anyone else, they've created their own sound, and its plain out amazing.

Many of the lyrics have to do with the band memebers heritage I belive. Growing up in West Virginia, and being in a state full of coal with other people trying to export it, brings the lyrics for Red Neck War. Chris (OJ) Ojeda is an amazing vocalist (and guitarist). I don't think I've ever heard a vocalist quite like OJ.

I think this album is much better than The Fundamental Component. Recording-wise anyways. I'd have to say my favorite songs are Ancestry Of The Antichrist, Five Faces Of Madness, Justicia, and Pity None. I mean, they have a piano in the intro of Five Faces Of Madness recorded by OJ, the acoustic riffs in the beginning of Red Neck War was recorded by their drummer Wolfe, and Tony's solos are just amazing. I am actually taking lessons from Tony right now. He's an amazing guitarist. Very kick ass. I love the whole album. I don't hate anything about it. If this album were stolen I would have to cry. I mean I got it signed by all the band members. But I would definetly buy it again.