Speed Metal Symphony Review

Cacophony: Speed Metal Symphony
Release Date: 1987
Label: Shrapnel
Genres: Guitar Virtuoso, Heavy Metal
Cacophony's Speed Metal Symphony is one of the more extreme entries in the Shrapnel Records catalog.
 8.7
 7.7
 9.7
review (1) 19 comments vote for this album:
Speed Metal Symphony Reviewed by: garthunkle, on may 28, 2007

Sound: Cacophony is the result of combining 2 of best shred guitarists ever born. These being Marty Friedman (Megadeth) and Jason Becker. This album is recognized worldwide for it's amazing technicality and dual guitar parts (the album was made while Becker was only 17 which is an amazing feat). The guitar parts are a absolutely amazing to listen, from dual arpeggio sweeps to tight rhythmic riffs. It can be distinctly heard that many of the songs were composed by Friedman because of the oriental scales used. The main song where this can be heard is in 'The Ninja'. The intro is based around some Japanese Pentatonic scale (forget the name, someone wish to enlighten me). Although this album does deserve nothing but praise I feel that some of the albums are lacking the 'X factor', i.e. 'Burn the Ground' and 'Desert Island". // 9

Lyrics: I haven't been able to find the lyrics written for this album which is annoying. I feel the lyrics do complement the music very well as does the singers aggressive vocals. The singer in most of the songs is spot on but on a few is lacking the required vocals (i.e. 'Desert Island'). // 6

Overall Impression: This album is by far the better of the two they released. That is mainly because with 'Go Off' they tried tfor a bit more of a compositional approach. The best songs are by far 'Savage', 'Where my Fortunes Lie', 'The Ninja' and 'Concerto' (instrumental piece). Not surprisingly there are the first 4 tracks on the album. I absolutely love listening to the improvised guitar duals. They are so chaotic but surprisingly nice to listen to. I think the thing I hate most about it is the cover art. It's so bland. If this album was lost I think I probably would buy it but it is almost impossible to get because they aren't too well known in the mainstream music. It is a must have album for all shred fans simply because you it's so damn inspirational. // 8

Comments