Strawberry Weed Review

artist: Caesars date: 01/19/2009 category: compact discs
Caesars: Strawberry Weed
Released: Mar 8, 2008
Genre: Alternative rock, Indie rock
Strawberry Weed marks the triumphant return of the Caesars whose "Jerk it Out" was called "the greatest song ever to appear in an iPod commercial" by Rolling Stone.
 8.8
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Strawberry Weed Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2009

Sound: The Swedish band Caesars don't sound too much like any other band. They could be compared to The Hives, who also come from Sweden, but The Hives and Caesars don't sound alike. Caesars may not be for everyone, but if you like alternative, indie, or pop rock, you'll definitely like this album. Strawberry Weed is much more poppy than their five previous albums. Their debut, "Youth Is Wasted On The Young" was very garage. They progressively got less garage through their career. // 9

Lyrics: I always say that there's no such thing as a "Good singer." It is the uniqueness of the voice that matters. Caesars singer, Cesar Vidal, has a quite unique voice. I haven't come across any singer that sounds anything like him at all. He isn't your typical vocalist who sounds like 100 other vocalists. Vidal does not write all of the songs as most people think. The guitarist Joakim Ahlund writes most of them. For the lyrics, well... they're not the best around. They are sort of clever but not deep or meaningful. // 7

Overall Impression: I wouldn't reccomend this album as much as any other album they've done, but it's still impressive. This is a double album with 24 tracks (3 of them being instrumental.) None of the songs are as good as their only U.S hit, Jerk It Out, but songs like Boo Boo Goo Goo, No Tomorrow, Strawberry Weed, and In Orbit are still nice. If you are a Jerk It Out lover, you really should give more of their songs a chance. Personally I prefer their early garage album Youth Is Wasted On The Young, but I can still enjoy this one. This is their first CD in 6 years not to have Jerk It Out. For a lot of people that's a relief, including myself. If I lost this album I'd definitely get it again. It is out in the U.S on a 12 track compaction. The full 24 track version is out of print. If you're a Caesars fan I would hurry up before it's too hard to find. The right person to come across this will be hooked. // 8

Comments