Cage The Elephant review by Cage the Elephant

• Released: Jun 23, 2008
Cage the Elephant: Cage The Elephant

I absolutely love the sound on this album. Its fresh and it sounds like a mixture of Beck, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with some funk thrown in. Its bringing my faith in rock back and it stands out from the emo-pop stuff going around today, and traces back to better times in music, to more of the grungy 90's scene (The video for "Back against the Wall" is said to be a tribute to Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box"). They just seem to have a very odd and melodic sound I can't quite describe, but I like it.

Matt Schultz has a very funky, rock, and smooth voice, which really complements to the band's sound. Some of it actually reminds me of Robert Plant's odd-but-appropriate voice. His lyrics are pretty powerful and stand out to the average person, like the economically-fueled lyrics of "Aint No Rest for the Wicked", and the political rampage in "Lotus". It reminds of me of Zach de la Rocha from RATM just a little bit. Regardless of the lyrics, the vocal melodies really complement the songs and add a little funk rock flavor to the album.

Overall, I think this is a great start for Cage the Elephant, and I'm surprised no one has put up a review for this. I hope that the success of this album will lead to a new direction in music, directing us from the emo-pop we are slowly falling into. The most impressive songs from this album are "Aint No Rest for the Wicked", "Lotus", "In One Year", and "Back Against the Wall". If I ever lose this album, I would run to the nearest record store and pick another copy up right away.

Bert_Hastings
    ain't no rest for the wicked is one of the best song i've ever heard in the past five years. i love that rhythmic singing style and well, everything about this band is ace.
    jtdavin89
    whoever said this album sucked and they suck live your an idiot. cage the elephant is a great band with original sound and amazing lyrics. they must be doing something right considering the fact that they are selling tickets to their shows and thousands upon thousands of cds. if you dont like them its fine but your crazy if you dont. i give the album 10 out of 10 as well.
    fartsyjoe420
    yeah it's definitely worth a few listens. kind of a fun album, and if you're in the mood for it it can be very good. somewhat original anyways.
    madmax2711
    David_Bowie=GOD
    Saw them open for Silversun Pickups and plan on seeing them open for them again. They're an alright band, the album is okay. Its worth the money but its not really mindblowing, just good. Be warned though, all the songs sound different from the single they have on the radio. Oh, and the guitarist in the band who usually plays a Telecaster, does he have a mental condition of some sort? It looked like he was seizing onstage.
    hiwaychild1
    the lead singer is not on any type of drug contrary to what anyone will tell you. i saw an interview telling how people always say that matt is always drunk or sumthing.
    "they just dont get how into the music i am"
    i think is what he said. Ive done live shows before. If youre really into the music, it will consum oyu and wont spit u out until the last note. thats when u realize ur in front of a thousand people but still dont care b/c u had a good time and so did they.
    kurtshapedbox
    madmax2711 wrote: great album and a real blast live. saw them a few months ago as a support band and they stole the show. some great catchy singalong lyrics
    +1. except for the show was a couple of days ago...and they stole the show from every other crappy band there..but not from Alice in Chains. =]
    The-Red-Sky
    Its a pretty good CD. Like others have said, solids probly the best word for it. This review was terribly written though.
    Scum_PunkRocker
    I'm still enjoying this album a few months later. Great rock band playing music with substance. Stand out tracks on this album to me are In One Ear, Drones In The Valley, Judas and Lotus. This review could have been written better but the kudos it gives are well-deserved.
    <Badfish>
    JSmith38 wrote: these guys are terrible live. the singer convulses like he's having a seizure and does the stupidest shit on stage. he started crowd surfing when i saw them on 9/11 (was there for chevelle mudvayne and alice in chains, not these idiots) and the rest of the band just stood there with arms crossed looking pissed at his stupid antics. the rest of the band is ok but the singer is god awful.
    Your terrible. They are new, fresh and catchy and are better than 90% of the stuff you hear on the radio these days, they get props.
    AlskiOverload
    I actually find them entertaining live (live videos anyways...), other than its true, they do all shake and convulse. But they are a decent band, interesting, and they are one of the few recent bands to catch my attention. Not amazing, but worth some attention. I just watched them on Jools Holland. I had to look away from the convulsing...
    Caseyz
    The lead singer is always on something from what I understand. He was definitely not in his right mind when I saw them at lollapalooza but they jammed pretty well. If he lays off the heroine a bit they would be solid. Bc he definitely wasn't just drunk, he looked like he was about to faint and was tripping over everything on stage.
    dawoodman619
    when i got borderlands long ass time ago i heard no rest for the wicked and i had to listen to their other stuff. it was kinda a shock to me when i found out their album had already been out a year before id heard the song. i loved the album. their like the perfect mix of rolling stones, white stripes and they definitely take a lot of ninties influence. ive never gone to a show of theirs, but if i had the chance i would.. even if the singer "convulses" the whole time he's on stage. i dont give a **** as it sounds good. solid, strong album. i listen to it very reguarly. i personally cant wait for another release.
    <Badfish>
    Dude this is one of those albums where every track is likable and good. Its a good thing theese guys put one of their songs on borderlands because if they didn't a lot less people would know about them. These dudes are GREAT
    CptRevell
    It's a decent CD. The lady got it really cheap about 2 months ago. Sounds kinda samey after a while.
    TheGreifer
    This is a pretty good CD, I was pleasantly surprised when I listened to it. Not life changing but solid nonetheless.
    JSmith38
    lefty311
    no rest for the wicked is one of the most terrible songs i've ever heard in the past 5 years... along with anything off of Viva La Vida by Coldplay.