Thank You, Happy Birthday review by Cage the Elephant

• Released: Jan 11, 2011
Cage the Elephant: Thank You, Happy Birthday

After working for about two years on this album, I'd say Cage the Elephant blew it out of the water. I saw very many videos and interviews about them trying to find a new sound. I think they achieved it, considering their music completely evolved from the last album. CTE seemed to find a new comfort in effects... They used ALOT. Their set list included: Always Something, Aberdeen, Indy kidz, 2024, Sell yourself, Rubber Ball, Right Before my Eyes, Sabertooth Tiger, Japanese Buffalo, and Flow. I thought it was a little bit of a cheap move though that Flow started off pretty good and then it pauses and melts into another version of "right before my eyes." but it doesn't really bother me that much. I just like to think that I got an extra free song!

I think all of the lyrics that Cage The Elephant writes are a genius. They all are cleverly and masterfully writtin. You can tell that Matt puts alot of time and effort into this section. His singing seems to be slightly lacking though, just because hes singing/chanting so fast; hes taking too much time breathing and not enough time pumping lyrics.

Cage the Elephant has always been one of my favorite bands and they've always been unique with their own style of indie rock. I think in this new album though, they seemed to shoot for a different sound. I seperated their songs into two different groups: there's the up-beat, Apocalyptic type like "sell Yourself", and theres the slow, lullaby type llike "rubber ball". They seem to have focused on really defining these two methods of music. I love all of CTE's music and will definately be looking for the next album and I give an oath now that if anyone scratches my cd, I will rip out their eyes!