Thank You, Happy Birthday review by Cage the Elephant

• Released: Jan 11, 2011
Cage the Elephant: Thank You, Happy Birthday

I'll first have to admit that this was somewhat of an impulse purchase for me, so it's hopefully a rather unbiased view of the album. I'd heard "In One Ear" and "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" (of course, who hasn't?) but nothing else of theirs. Having said that, I've since picked up the first album. That says something in itself. The album creates a lasting impression with unique sounds and raw energy that encourages you to delve deeper into their music. The sound is similar to the first album, but it's quite different at points as well. If you enjoyed the first album, you'll likely enjoy this one as well. But, enough of the last album, and on to this one. The sound is very similar to some MGMT. That's the best way I can describe what this album sounds like without referencing the band itself. There's probably better references, but that's what came to my mind. Some songs resemble a standard indie/alt. rock song such as "Shake Me Down," but others have a very raw, aggressive, modulated sound to them. "Indy Kidz", "2024", and "Sabertooth Tiger" are perfect examples. Those seem to be the more memorable, lasting tracks. Most of these high energy songs modulate tempo and other aspects of the song at will, but in a way that it works flawlessly.

The lyrics on the album are solid. I haven't fully looked into every track on the album, but on the whole, they're acceptable. The lyrics fit quite well with the album though. The more toned down songs have simple singing while the high octane songs have more energy, almost a hybrid between singing and screaming. It all fits quite well with the music.

As a whole, the album is an improvement on the first album. If you liked the first, you're bound to enjoy this disc. You'll catch yourself humming numerous tracks throughout the day. As an impulse buy, I'm very happy as I enjoyed to album greatly. I'd easily recommend it to others, and, in fact, have already lent it to a few people. I've seen it at Walmart for $10. It's worth that easily. Go out and pick up a copy for yourself.