Comfort Eagle review by Cake

• Released: Jul 24, 2001
Cake: Comfort Eagle

Cake have a unique sound. Use of synth noises and trumpet are excellent. Guitar riffs are clever and original. This album is obviously more pop like. The vocals are perfect, all the instruments fit so well together, there could not be a better vocalist for this band. Guitar solos pop up on some songs are very very well done.

The lyrics are very good in most songs, but sometimes ryhmes are weak. The lyrics usually have random subjects, sometimes with sarcastic meaning, like opera singer. As I said before, I could not imagine anyone else singing for this band. The singers voice is quite low, but his voice is flexable. A good 9 for for Lyrics.

This album is one of Cake's best, in my opinion. Lots of Cake classics. Highlights of the album are: Comfort Eagle, Commisioning A Symphony In C and Shadow Stabbing. There is nothing I dislike about this album. If you buy a Cake CD, make sure its this one (or fashion nugget, also very good). If I lost this, I would not hesitate to get it again!

Jagmaster33
    I love CAKE. but this is their worst album by far, and the only one I absolutely don't like at all. It utterly pales in comparison to Pressure Chief, which followed a few years later. One of my good friends hangs out and plays with the band sometimes, and the band members themselves also see this as their worst album to date. It is boring and totally uninspired. Pressure Chief, Prolonging the Magic, and Fashion Nugget are all much more interesting albums musically, and even their first album is a lot better than this disaster of an album known as Comfort Eagle. If you really like Short Skirt, then pick up B-Sides, which has a stronger version of that song on there, along with some other pretty cool stuff (e.g. War Pigs).
    axethrower13
    Dude, Jag, I seriously doubt you have any idea at all of what you're talking about. Comfort Eagle is an absolutely fantastic album. It is fun, its is upbeat, its catchy as hell. And to call it uninspired is blasphemy. Did you even listen to it??