Fashion Nugget review by CAKE

• Released: Sep 17, 1996
CAKE: Fashion Nugget

I bought every Cake CD within the span of a few weeks after I finally got hooked by "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" from Comfort Eagle. For a long time, Comfort Eagle was my favorite Cake album. The problem is, ask me on any given day now and it'd probably be a toss-up between Fashion Nugget, Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle. The fact is that Cake has never released a dud. Their first album suffers in quality, but considering they were unknowns at the time, one can't blame them for working on a shoestring budget. The music is still great. At the end of the day, I find myself coming back to Fashion Nugget again and again. The big single on this album, "The Distance" is, in my opinion, one of the weaker songs. That's saying a lot. Check out Frank Sinatra, Friend is a Four Letter Word, and Daria for a small glimpse into the genius that is Cake. The lyrical imagery and their catchy melodies quietly wrap themselves around your brain. They are certainly the masters of making more out of less.

This CD is an amzing showing of the musicality of this group and their ability to write music of such diversity between the different pieces and still manage to make them sound good, the trumpet solos rule. There is politics and poetry in their music which I think is very admirable. Lyrics go very well with the music.

If you ever get a chance to go see Cake live, do it. Watch everybody sing the lyrics to every song. It's a great experience. If you've heard their typical radio fare (Rock 'N Roll Lifestyle, The Distance, Never There, and Short Skirt) and have been even mildly interested, you owe it to yourself to go buy Fasion Nugget. You'll soon find yourself owning all of their releases. As a good friend of mine would say, "Trust me".

Jagmaster33
    Great album, totally original, near perfect. CAKE has put out several great albums (and one really bad one, Comfort Eagle), but this album, Fashion Nugget, is definitely one of their best. A must have.