Showroom Of Compassion review by Cake

• Released: Jan 11, 2011
Cake: Showroom Of Compassion

Ok so this is Cake's sixth album and I've got to say that the sound on it is pretty good. The album seemed, however, to change from the previous albums released by Cake. While Cake has usually sounded like a light alternative band, at least in there newer albums, in this album they're sound has gone to back to sound like some of they're earlier albums such as Fashion Nugget and Motorcade of Generosity. The guitar riffs are simple but perfect for each song and when there is use of brass instruments like the trumpet they're always used in the right parts of the song and help make the song flow from one part to another.

The lyrics in this album are amazing! They are all sung greatly by John McCrea in his usual style of voice which on this album is usually in his monotone speaking type voice this is used on songs like Sick of You and Federal Funding. The lyrics which are written, also like previous Cake albums, are using much rhyme in certain parts of certain songs and otherwise using words to help set a kind of story which makes each song that has lyrics great.

This album is a very hard album to compare with another and the only one I can think of is another Cake Album, Fashion Nugget. Out of the whole album, while all of the songs are good the songs that are probably the best have got to be Sick of You and Federal Funding just because of the lyric repetition that is used to great effect in them. The only thing that I think is wrong with the album is that some songs seem to similar to other songs written by Cake, which after awhile kind of gets old after awhile, but other than that the album was great and if the CD was stolen from me and I did not have it on my iPod or computer I would definitely go to the store and buy another one.

thejester
    i like this album. i think it overall has a good feel. about 4 songs stand out to me, the others i am in the middle about. interesting about the album, the entire thing was recorded using solar energy, everything! pretty neat actually.
    IFightBears
    Comfort Eagle was the only song I'd heard by them, but checking out other stuff [including this album] after reading the review and it isn't what I'd normally go for, but still pretty good.
    gitarheroexprt
    Such a great album I hadn't heard any of the tracks before purchasing the album, but they did not disappoint! Cake remains true to their artistic form with songs that are both catchy and geared towards a popular crowd, but also musically directed.
    hisdoodnessness
    Cake is one of those bands where I enjoy everything that they do. This album did not change that at all. My favorite track has to be Bound Away
    Natrone
    Hmm....interesting and very vague review. However, I definitely might pick this album up. After I get Comfort Eagle and Motorcade of Generosity.