Birthing The Giant review by Cancer Bats

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Cancer Bats: Birthing The Giant

Hailing from Canada, these 4 metal-head punks are here to make a statement, and that is "We are here to party". I came across this band by word of mouth and by checking out their Myspace account just to see what all the hype was about. This their debut full length release through Hassle Records has been along time coming. The sound on this record is raw, dynamic and unrelenting. The title of the record describes the sound perfectly, Birthing The Giant. The record is pumped with 2 and half minute tracks of straight up punk and hardcore rock and roll. Topics throughout the album include living on the street, touring and lack of acceptance within their community. If you like your guitar riffs chunky then I would seriously recommend giving these guys a listen. The drum structure is along the same lines as the guitar, heavy as hell and there is no turning back. This record grabs you by the balls and does not let go until your beat up, sore and left feeling violated. Although the guitars and drums take centre stage on this record it is very difficult to find the bass track in the mix. The wave of sound lacks that extra punch which could of been included if the production time was a little bit longer. Musically the band wear their influences on their sleeves quite literally. EyeHateGod, Gallows & Down seem to be the main attire worn by the band from press shoots and promo shots. Luckily for The Cancer Bats their style of music isn't particularly popular with the mainstream alternative crowd which benefits them in my opinion. The band have gained a solid fan base from massive amounts of touring and festival appearances and this is can be experienced whenever you see them live.

My overall impression of the lyrics on this album are that they seem positive but again lack that killer blow. Vocally Liam Cormier knows he is not the greatest vocalist in the world and he uses this to promote his own style which in some ways compels me to want to listen to him more. To class the vocals as singing is wrong, Liam Cormier snarls like a raged dog trapped in a cage wanting to escape. His straight-edge lifestyle is filtered into his lyrics and while although the music is dark the lyrics are about living a positive lifestyle and making the most of your opportunities. The music and the lyrics fit together perfectly and they both complement each other brilliantly. This is one of the records which I can actually listen to and hear something new and different every time I listen. An example of this can be heard on the final track Pneumonia Hawk.

My overall impression of this record is that it portrays a band that is thankful to be playing music. The band have hit the ground running with Birthing The Giant and have created their own unique style which separates them from a lot of the other acts in their genre. My standout tracks on the record are "Shillelagh", "Pneumonia Hawk" and "100 Grand Canyon". I believe this is probably one of the most honest and humble records that was released in 2007. It changed my opinion on punk rock, hardcore and the D.I.Y ethics behind music. The Cancer Bats have built the foundations and now have the opportunity to build on them with their future releases.

lilherby
    Thank you so much The_Shame for acknwledging this awesome band. I'm from Montreal Canada and I've known Liam and for a long time and been supporting the cancer bats music along the way. They actually just finished recording a new album which should be out very soon. Cheers again for the positive review.
    hold.fast.hope
    i seen these guys play with alexisonfire!! holy shit! amazing! they played probally the best live show i have seen in a long time, next to In This Moment
    nirvanafan11111
    I saw em at reading fest and they were immense had the chavvy singer of the gallows jumping! Theyre coming to Portsmouth in may woopwoopwoop!
    YHB
    I saw them in Stoke, UK on Tuesday and they were absolutely immense! Would have gone in the pit but recent injuries stopped me, was a brilliant gig and Pneumonia Hawk rocked like the anthem it is. Liam was also working their merch stall, fantastic vocalist but an even better person. Stayed behind to talk, take pictures and sign tickets for all.
    liam1107
    oh yeah i was also speaking to liam after the show and he said i kicked ass cause my names liam too!!! XD
    liam1107
    just finished seeing these guys in the ironworks, inverness supporting funeral for a friend and intense isnt the word cancer bats played absolutely brilliantly live, the crowd went f**king insane, pits were crazy too, listened to the album on the way home and holy s**t, it was great why have i never heard of these guys before, they have a lot of potential and i hope they get the credit they deserve and go very far
    DNC
    nirvanafan11111 wrote: Hail Destroyer has got to be one of the most intense albums i've ever heard! It pulls you in and won't let go, the production on the vox is far superior in Hail Destroyer as well!
    WRONG. It's nowhere near as good. I admit, I loved Hail Destroyer, but it's got **** all on Birthing The Giant.
    nirvanafan11111
    C-k-y
    CANCER BATS: HAIL DESTROYER!!! April 22, 2008, I'm stoked!
    angelrange
    when i first heard the intro riff to Shillelagh i almost shat from the awesomeness, this album is EPIC
    DNC
    Regression wrote: Doesn't the vocalist of Alexisonfire do vocals (a.k.a screaming) on one of the tracks? I could be wrong, I just saw one of there videos and thought it was him on it.
    yeah, he does it. i ****ing want them to play UK. i absolutely love this band.
    Regression
    Raijin.xiii
    I saw them 3 times.. they used to play with my friend's band at local bars before they decided alexisonfire was a better touring choice lol. their lead guitarist looks like a dwarf up close. but he's awesome. they actually re-did the tracks before releasing birthing the giant. 100 grand canyon in particular sounds different a lot.
    phillyguitar
    SL!!! wrote: This band is a bit overrated as far as i'm concerned. They're pretty good, but, not THAT good.
    A 7.7 I think embodies exactly "good but not THAT good."
    SL!!!
    mushroom2
    this album is ****ing relentless from start to finish, i still think golden tanks is the best track on the album on a side note i hear them god damn cancer bats are big tegan and sara fans, which in my eyes makes them insanely cool
    blackoctober119
    yeah geors pettit did the screams on pneumonia hawk. Thes guys are completely KICKASS. i went to see alexisonfire and these guys opened the show .i met Liam the show and the next day i bought the album. These guys are paving for a whole new genre of music.
    goddamncanadian
    Yea, he has a guest spot on the track "Pneumonia Hawk". I'm so glad the Cancer Bats are finally being recognized within the global community. I bought "Birthing the Giant" a few months after its release, and I had just missed them performing in my city a couple of weeks prior to that. They've been around for a couple of years, have done extensive touring of North America, and are on of the only hardcore bands I can actually stand. Their debut album was absolutely spectacular, and to me is one of those albums that NEEDS to be listened to all the way through each time. These boys make Canada proud, and if you haven't checked them out yet, DO SO RIGHT NOW.
    stumaster18
    Awesome CD! This is a great band from Canada. Heavy guitars, loud lyrics...everything you could ask for in hardcore. Download "French Immersion", "Pneumonia Hawk", and "100 Grand Canyon". Stellar tracks!
    Davyboy420
    hail destroyer is nowhere near as good as this album