Dead Set On Living review by Cancer Bats

• Released: Apr 16, 2012
Cancer Bats: Dead Set On Living

Cancer Bats return with their fourth studio album "Dead Set On Living" in the familiar manor we have all grown to love, hellish screams and tuned down catchy guitar riffs combine together to make a brilliant album of punk metal head bangers. The band's style is very much the same to that of the last 3 albums, combining many different elements of punk, metal and Hardcore to create a unique sound differentiating themselves from many other bands around now a days. Although a similar sound to the previous albums, guitarist Scott Middleton's song writing has advanced to create an album full of more catchy, more versatile and all round better songs when compared to previous albums. The advance in song writing is best demonstrated in songs like "Bastards!" with the use of female vocals, and the epic ending track on the album "New World Alliance" very different compared too anything they have done before. The songs on this album are all really good!

Singer Liam Cormier's lyrics are strong as usual. In symmetry to the music he combines elements of politically opposed rebellious punk lyrics, with hell telling sinister metal tales to create a great balance of aggressive angry sounding lyrics. These go hand in hand perfectly with his vocal style.

Cancer Bats where the band that introduced me to my now love of Hardcore when I was fortunate enough to stumble across their cover of the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" off of their 2010 album "Bears, Mayors, Scraps And Bones". I am now totally stoked that Cancer Bats have stepped up their game all round in this album creating (In my opinion) their best to date. That could be enjoyed by most fans of hardcore and metal. My favourite songs on the album to name a few would consist of "R.A.T.S.", "The Void" and "Drunken Physics". (Why? Go listen to them you will need no definition too why). If you listen to Metal bands like Type O-Negative and Black Sabbath or Hardcore Bands like Misfits and Gallows (or anything in between) chances are you will really enjoy this album and I strongly recommend you go out and grab yourself a copy. Cheers for reading.

EpiExplorer
    Extreme Pantera. Not bad, tbh. Although I feel Ex-Lives is a more fullfilling southern metalcore album.
    SkepsisMetal
    Birthing the Giant and Hail Destroyer are still the pinnacles of their career. Still, BMS&B was good and this is sounding good, plus I'm seeing them in June. Should be awesome.
    Minivirus2
    ****! Had a gift card to burn, so I bought DF. Didn't even realize this was out ;_; Second trip to the store today incoming!
    metalhead983877
    saw them live last year, they were opening for Billy Talent in Rimouski (Quebec) and they were plain awesome! I'm definitely buying this album!
    Slaytan666
    I was never a big Cancer Bats fan, but that cover they did of "Sabotage" was pretty cool.
    _KurtCobain_77
    Saw them live a couple weeks ago, they killed it. I've never gotten into songs I'd never heard before so quick, as they played 3 songs off the new album. RATS!