Dactylis Glomerata review by Candlemass

• Released: Feb 17, 1998
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Candlemass: Dactylis Glomerata

Very strange and mesmerizing album by Candlemass, almost to the point of disturbing. However very heavy, dense and melodic at points. Classic doom with little experimentation but with divergence from the 80/early 90 stuff. Material originally meant to be the second Abstrakt Algebra album ultimately finished as Dactylis Glomerata. Moving away from the standard riff based arrangements to more chord and and semi-distorted sections this album gives a pleasant and interesting sound. The bass and the guitars are not as interesting but doe the job decently, if not dull the guitars are faceless and impersonal.

Keeping in mind that this was an completely different band and style in creation lyrics move from dark-fantasy and doom-despair to more abstract vibe. Bjorn Flodkvist is no Messiah and no Lowe but is sufficiently talented to carry over the vocals. Lyrics doe not impress at all when you think abut things like "Epistle no. 81" from Ancient Dreams or "Destroyer" and "of Stars And Smoke" from King of the Grey Islands.

Dactylis Glomerata is heavy but brittle at the same time,and it does fail to wow the listener as ti should.But there are songs like "Dustflow" "Karthago" that make it time worth spending. This album is eclipsed by it many flaws and a few blasphemous mid-tempo-ed sections, were it not for the vibe created by the synths and the the weirdly-distorted sounds Dactylis Glomerata would be wasted tape.

xicetraex
    Skuzzmo
    This isn't a candlemass album... it's a leif edling project that he ended up using the Candlemass name to sell more... You want to listen to the magnificent Candlemass then this is not the album for you.... try nightfall or tales of creation....or ancient dreams... in fact any other album they've put out....but not this one.
    celticstorm84
    I had no idea this was a pet project by Leif Edling. I may give it a go anyways. If nothing else, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was damn good in my opinion.
    The JesterHead
    xicetraex
    The JesterHead wrote: xicetraex wrote: I've heard a song by these guys. The instruments sound sweet, but when the singer comes in, it just ruins it completely. Dude, Candlemass had like... 5 singers throughout the history of the band. You might want to hear more songs/albums.
    Well, I'm just not a fan of doom metal. I heard this song in a video game (Brutal Legend), lol.