Death Magic Doom Review

8.9
 7.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Death Magic Doom Reviewed by: krvolok, on august 04, 2010

Sound: With the previous album, King of the Gray Islands, Candlemass reaffirmed that they were the reigning kings of doom metal and with Death Magic Doom solidifies their rule. However, there is a big difference between the two albums, King of the Gray Islands was a seriously heavy album and it had a series of skull crushing songs. Death Magic Doom doesn't and it also doesn't have half of the staying power that King of the Gray Islands had, I had that album in my CD player for abut six months, Death Magic Doom got boring after just 5 weeks. All in all it's not a bad album, it still has the powerful Candlemass sound and Lowe's vocals are a bit better on this album. 01. "If I Ever Die": this song has forever ruined the album for me it's basically "Lucifer Rising" with slightly more speed. 02. "Hammer Of Doom": is a proper skull crusher, each riff is heavier than the last and Lowe shows his impressive vocal range. 03. "The Bleeding Baroness": epic intro riff, it's a nice song but gets tiring near the end. 04. "Demon Of the Deep": is great song, the clean guitar riff gives it a strong atmosphere and the guitar fills add even more, the outro verse is epic to say the least. 05. "House of 1000 Voices": also a great song, good solo as well, all of Johansson's leads have a nice feel to them but this and the one on "Hammer of Doom" are my favorites. 06. "Dead Angel": is much like "If I Ever Die" a boring mid tempo song. 07. "Clouds of Dementia": is a good song, I like the main riff and the lyrics. 08. "My Funeral Dreams": has it's good moments like the organ in the chorus but other than that it's not a very impressive song. // 7

Lyrics: I was always impressed with Robert Lowe's work in Solitude Aeturnus and his work in Candlemass and Death Magic Doom is also very impressive. Granted, his vocals are nowhere as immense as Messiah Marcolin's but what he lacks in range he makes up in tone.Overall the vocals suit the music, this is shown best on "Bleeding Baroness" where you have softer and harder sections and Lowe does a good job singing in several styles. // 8

Overall Impression: For doomsters this album is mandatory listening, but it isn't bad for casual listeners either, the mid tempo songs wont stick out so much for them. In the big picture the album is good, but in the details it lacks a lot of things form the previous albums. My favorite songs are "Demon Of The Deep" and "Hammer Of Doom". // 8

Comments