Butchered At Birth review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Jul 1, 1991
Cannibal Corpse: Butchered At Birth

Talk about "captain crunch". The guitar sound on this album is so crunchy and heavy, especially for its time. The sound may be a little bit compressed for some picky guitarists, but it cannot be denied that this is one of the heaviest Death Metal albums ever recorded. Released in 1991 as Corpse's second installment, this album expands vastly beyond its predecessor. The music is much more intricate and much more tightly recorded. Not every single part of music in this album holds interest like others do, but it is a brutal sound, and it makes for an awesome record.

On this album, lead singer Chris Barnes wrote and arranged all of the lyrics. The lyrics on this album are also like the music, much more creative. The lyrics, in my opinion, are the strong point of the album. The lyrics are still intense and "gore-obsessed" just like the previous album, but also in much more depth and detail. The lyrics of this album create a bit of an atmosphere, which is rare for death metal record. The arrangement of the lyrics makes a perfect deliverance for each song. The vocals are also much deeper and heavier than the previous record. It almost sounds like Barnes' voice dropped another four octaves. No special effects are used on the vocal tracks on this record. What you hear is genuine.

I have to admit its not my favorite Cannibal Corpse release, but it is definitely a necessity if you consider yourself a Death Metal fan. This album has provided me with many of my favorite riffs to warm up with. Some of these riffs include "Meat Hook Sodomy", "Vomit The Soul", "Covered With Sores", and "Gutted". One thing that needs to be mentioned is that Cannibal Corpse is a very underrated band in the world of music. Corpse is one of the most talented bands in the world, and they deliver their most on every single album. This can be heard on every single Corpse release, but it can't be said for many other artists. Corpse are a one of a kind talent, that is for sure.

EpiExplorer
    krvolok
    guitfiddleRR
    EpiExplorer : HA, this album is probably the most infamous CC release and its only being reviewed now..?
    ya dude, i found it kinda unbelievable too. What i do is deliberately look for albums that havent been reviewed for UG yet and post them. Theres like 5 corpse albums that still haven't been reviewed.
    SUICIDEXX666
    this was one of my first cannibal and death metal cd that i heard and it was amazing the only thing that brought it to my attention at first sight was the cover and i was 12 and i thought it was brutal until i saw the other cover they did
    deftools
    krvolok wrote: I always fail to see the "controversy" behind the early Corpse albums.The music is great but I place the gore in the lyrics in the same category where the countless lines abut Satan are in BM - wasted paper,wasted breath. Very little of both sound honest to me.
    You actually listen to CC for the Lyrics???? who cares about the lyrics, that album is heavy as ****. agree, its not there best, but is an essential.