Eaten Back To Life review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Cannibal Corpse: Eaten Back To Life

Cannibal Corpse are one of the pioneers of death metal and Eaten Back To Life is their over-looked debut. Cannibal Corpse are classic death metal, fast, growling vocals, and no frills. This album is over 10 years old but it sounds not at all dated. Guitar work is very precise, the bass suprisingly punchy however the drumming does occasionally go a little out of time in faster sections. Also, some of the song's different sections don't join together as smoothly as they could have. The vocals are pretty repetitive but you really should expect that coming from a true and true death metal band.

Lyrically, Cannibal Corpse are pretty much a one-way road. The song can be about anything, so long as it's about death too. I do advise to read the warning label as some of the stuff in here is pretty grisly. I won't go into detail, it's just a warning to some who might get offended. Now that that's out the road there is a 9 out of 10 lyrics rating to explain. The reasoning for such a high rating is this. If you were to judge a good singer from a band, say Don Henley (Eagles drummer/singer) against a not so good rock singer, you would call him good. If you were to judge him against an opera singer, you wouldn't see him to be as good. Chris Barnes is a good singer if compared to other bands in his genre, it is very spot on and very steady. Death metal wise, Cannibal Corpse have some pretty good vocals.

Eaten Back to Life is certainly not the best CD out there, but damned if it isn't one of the greatest death metal albums out there. A lot of history is to be found with Cannibal Corpse and if you get over the style of music and appreciate their hard work and dedication to fans, you may find yourself enjoying them more. This is a generally entertaining album that is very impressive for a debut on a genre very newly founded. I take my hat off for Cannibal Corpse and advise that every Death metaller should own a copy of Eaten Back To Life.

Jeff Manthei
    Cannibal Corpses "Eaten Back to Life" was the first Death Metal album I heard and ever since then loved these guys.
    Guitarislife125
    The only reason the score is so low is because of dumbshits that don't even own the album come in and bash death metal.
    Fatali-Liberi
    Annnnnd, if they are 'down to earth' and 'some of the nicest guys you could ever meet', what's the point of them putting up a facade, commercial pricks.
    Fatali-Liberi
    I concur with thadedan, although I must say I think he was being a little generous calling this lame excuse for music 'mediocore'. I too love death metal, but cannibal corpse should not be making 'music'. Dear Fetusmasher You are a perfect example of the sad mentality of the corpses' fans. Your name reeks of immatureness. Would you ever grow up, you sad loser. You wouldn't 'mash a fetus' if somebody paid you to.
    thadedan(CFH)
    Dear Fetusmasher, the fact that your profile name is indeed 'Fetusmasher' explains my point perfectly. tell me PLEASE what CC are trying to prove by writing songs about having sex with dead children??? its pretty sad to see that they are relying on the shock factor to sell their mediocre music. and dont be under the impression that i dont listen death metal, because i do. so many people get sucked into this idea of being 'brutal' and non-conformist- what they dont realise is that they are even bigger idiots to buy into this joke. oh please, somebody give me an angry reply, i will enjoy laughing at you
    garden of grey
    shredlikeeddie wrote: hmmm i agree jakob_megadeth6. Death metal has some good music a lot of the time, but some of the lyrics are so ****ing wrong and discusting. Also, most death metal singers have really annoying voices (not saying they're not tallented). Though half the time I'm listening to music, i try to ignore the singing and enjoy the music unless it's good. My point is, CC has some good guitar bass and drumming, but personally, i think they're psychos.
    They are funny people, and they are NOT serious. Pretty down to earth from what ive seen. Dont listen if you dont like...
    shredlikeeddie
    turbonegro
    I just looked at some of their album covers on the internet, and wretched spawn is one of the most f***** album covers ever made.
    janecoffin27
    Cannibal Corpse is ok, but it's unfortunate that for all the interesting progressive and technical death metal out there, people blow those bands off because they think all death metal (lyric-wise, anyway) is like Cannibal Corpse.
    Stolenidentity1
    thadedan(CFH) wrote: CC are immature dicks. i spit on them and all they stand for
    Why dont you tell us why you hate them, because obviously you arnt a fan of death metal, because CC are one of the greatest death metal bands, period.
    Fetusmasher
    Brutal death metal.. Is supposted to be BRUTAL.. So go crank your GnR and fix your hair a few more times.. Brutal music needs brutal content weather it is politcs or death and serial killers.. I don't even know why you would take the time to post that bullshit (thadedan(CFH) you SUCK!!!!
    Jonathan666
    War-Ensemble : i was pretty disapointed with this album, it really put me of that kind of stuff This guy listens to ashlee simpson