Eaten Back To Life Review

Cannibal Corpse: Eaten Back To Life
Release Date: 1990
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
Produced and engineered by the legendary Scott Burns, Cannibal Corpse's Eaten Back To Life is truly one of the greatest debut albums in death metal.
 8.9
Eaten Back To Life Reviewed by: teenrocker, on december 14, 2006

Sound: Cannibal Corpse are one of the pioneers of death metal and Eaten Back To Life is their over-looked debut. Cannibal Corpse are classic death metal, fast, growling vocals, and no frills. This album is over 10 years old but it sounds not at all dated. Guitar work is very precise, the bass suprisingly punchy however the drumming does occasionally go a little out of time in faster sections. Also, some of the song's different sections don't join together as smoothly as they could have. The vocals are pretty repetitive but you really should expect that coming from a true and true death metal band. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, Cannibal Corpse are pretty much a one-way road. The song can be about anything, so long as it's about death too. I do advise to read the warning label as some of the stuff in here is pretty grisly. I won't go into detail, it's just a warning to some who might get offended. Now that that's out the road there is a 9 out of 10 lyrics rating to explain. The reasoning for such a high rating is this. If you were to judge a good singer from a band, say Don Henley (Eagles drummer/singer) against a not so good rock singer, you would call him good. If you were to judge him against an opera singer, you wouldn't see him to be as good. Chris Barnes is a good singer if compared to other bands in his genre, it is very spot on and very steady. Death metal wise, Cannibal Corpse have some pretty good vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: Eaten Back to Life is certainly not the best CD out there, but damned if it isn't one of the greatest death metal albums out there. A lot of history is to be found with Cannibal Corpse and if you get over the style of music and appreciate their hard work and dedication to fans, you may find yourself enjoying them more. This is a generally entertaining album that is very impressive for a debut on a genre very newly founded. I take my hat off for Cannibal Corpse and advise that every Death metaller should own a copy of Eaten Back To Life. // 9

Eaten Back To Life Reviewed by: Sintera666, on june 27, 2007

Sound: As most of you big Death Metal fans know, this is the first CC Album made. It has the starting career of Death Gutteral Devil Chris Barnes along with Alex Webster and Paul Mazurkiewicz. Knowing that this album was the first and made back in 1990, you can expect that kinda drowned out sound, which is to be expected. But, compared to later albums, the volume on this CD is a little low, meaning, when I have my headphones on, I keep trying to turn up the volume but it's already as loud as it can go. But I really like this album because it shows more Thrash Metal influence than all the other albums. // 9

Lyrics: The one word that comes to mind when I think of the lyrics, is hysterical. You can't really (that's an understatement) understand what Chris Barnes is saying at all, but going to look at the lyrics, I almost fell out of my chair laughing! The lyrics are so gross and stupid they're funny! Chris has a perfect gutteral in this album, cept I wish he was a bit more audible. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other early CC albums, it's good, they sound the same to me cept with better sound quality. Also, in this album, it almost sounds the same each song I go too on this album. it's a good thing I like my Metal Fast and heavy cause that's what every song is. But you get the classic songs A Skull Full of Maggots and Scattered Remains, Splattered Brains and Buried in a Casket and hell, every song on this album is a classic Death Metal song! Which makes it so worth buying! It's definite Headbanging material and a must buy for hardcore Death Metal fans! // 9

Comments