Evisceration Plague review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Feb 3, 2009
Cannibal Corpse: Evisceration Plague

After earning praise from critics and fans alike for 2006's Kill, the controversial death metal icons in Cannibal Corpse are back with another solid offering. Evisceration Plague marks the return of producer Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel), and it was a wise move on the band's part. The latest release maintains the furious energy and seamless guitar work heard on Kill, and in ways it's even taken up a notch. There won't be any huge surprises along the way if you're familiar with Cannibal Corpse's work, but given the band's past extremes in the musical and lyrical department, that would be a difficult task.

If there's one thing that certainly is evident from the get-go, it's Cannibal Corpse's obvious influence on the animated metal band Dethklok. From the chugging guitars to the Nathan Explosion-like vocals, it's almost uncanny at times. That fact alone should have younger fans eating Evisceration Plague up from the first listen. The CD starts off with Priests of Sodom, which doesn't mess around with a slow, ominous buildup. Instead, the track explodes with high-speed rhythm work, pounding drums, and a bellowing growl from George Corpsegrinder Fisher. There are several tempo changes throughout, and in terms of songs successfully introducing an album, it accomplishes its mission tenfold.

Evisceration Plague definitely revolves around the manic rhythm driving many of Cannibal Corpse's songs, but there is also plenty of intriguing lead work to back that aspect up. Beheading and Burning includes some unique-sounding pinch harmonics, Skewered From Ear To Eye is taken to the next level because of a fantastic grooving lead line, and Evidence in the Furnace features a fascinatingly wacky solo.

The main attraction in terms of both rhythmic and lead work is actually not even the title track. If you want to hear a modern day Flight of the Bumblebee, check out the amazing guitar work on Carnivorous Swarm. As the title indicates, it almost sounds like there is a huge swarm of, well, something evil chasing after you. Along with guitars, the percussion is also adding to the ambience, and in the final moments it seems the drums are recreating the sound of flapping wings. It may be total coincidence in that section, but it's still a very cool effect. Carnivorous Swarm, like pretty much every other track on the album, is an exhausting listen, but any Cannibal Corpse fan should be up for the challenge.

Cannibal Corpse is one of those bands that are always the target of some parents' group that is deeply offended by lyrical content. What those parents hear on Evisceration Plague shouldn't ease their worries, of course. With titles like To Decompose, Shatter Their Bones, and Beheading and Burning, you probably get a general idea of what to expect. Probably the best statement about Evisceration Plague comes from bassist Alex Webster, who said, Once again, there's no real message to any of the lyrics. It's all strictly dark fantasy violent entertainment. It's not anything with a social message at all as usual. We've rarely had anything with any sort of social message to it." So for those looking for something deep and life-altering, look elsewhere.

In terms of brutal death metal, Cannibal Corpse continues to set the bar high. There is equal attention paid to both the rhythmic and lead aspects on Evisceration Plague, and while a few of the songs do sound similar, there are enough interesting musical sections along the way to hold your interest. As you might expect, this is not album for the sensitive (lyrically or musically), so be prepared for a sensory-shattering experience.

vanshaya
    Great album, really like the title track. Another thing I liked about it that Corpsegrinder's vocals are much clearer in this album, and the production and the tone are awesome.
    AvernusAblaze
    funnt, one of the biggest names in Death and i havent listened to them. need to check out this bad boy
    pank
    Poglia wrote: Don't flame me, but I hate Cannibal Corpse and brutal "splatter" metal in general. Why can't they write normal lyrics? They are disgusting, I see no fun in their lyrics.
    The brutal lyrics fits the brutal music =) and if you don't like the lyrics that's your problem.
    imbatman1312
    I suppose it's all in your taste, generally if you have a higher tolerance for violence and gore etc, you will enjoy CC MUCH more. But the musicmanship is bloody amazing
    duncang
    Five Nails Through The Check. Please folks, I'm only handing out warnings for REALLY brainless flaming, but to people calling CC 'gorecore', or indeed Edguy 'real, MATURE music', you're tempting fate.
    Noremak
    i love how everytime they go into the studio they dont even have to put effort in thier songwriting. its just "we're gunna make this album more brutal than the last" and the outcome is great
    Ibanezmansam
    Hair metal? Omg... they were power/symphonic metal and now more hard rock, but I see no hair metal songs!
    Well yes and no. I love their music, but from listening to other bands like Dio and Skidrow... they MUST have hair-metal influences. Like painting on a wall... thats very "Hairmetal like" and the guitar playing and singing (while very good) is kind of cheesy... a major characteristic of Hair-Metal Anyway got the album today and highly recommend it... it is brutality personified and the DVD it came with wasn't half bad
    BucketHayden
    i cant say i like CC, but i find them intriguing, there lyrics are as disgusting as they are hilarious and there fan base are loyal and surprisingly articulate. I also heard that several members of CC play WoW which is funny. Even though i dislike the music, I hope they keep making there music and that they stay ****in brutal, CC FTW
    Poglia
    Ibanezmansam wrote: Oh god haha, Edguy as mature? There essentially a decent hairmetal band...
    thrashnmosh782
    lol i think hair metal is soooo gay XD and this album freaking kills. i got it before it came out XD and its so awesome CC FTW
    Ibanezmansam
    Oh god haha, Edguy as mature? There essentially a decent hairmetal band... Not going to lie I love them but there the furthest thing from "deep" Just bought the album and can't wait to get it... CC FTW! anyone seeing them at Mayhem?
    Poglia
    Scout1011 wrote: LOL, you consider Edguy mature!? Their songs are as equally ridiculous lyrically as Cannibal Corpse. Stop looking so deep into this music, there's just no point.
    Well, they have funny songs (Lavatory Love Machine, Pride Of Creation, ...) but also deep and mature lyrics. Read the lyrics of Theater Of Salvation, The Piper Never Dies, Land Of The Miracle, The Asylum, Sacrifice...
    Scout1011
    Poglia wrote: Two weeks ago I have seen Edguy live (this is real, MATURE music for me) and all were older than me (I'm 21). All 30 or 40 years old.
    Poglia
    Reviewer Pete wrote: I'm 23 /pwnt No, really, what the hell do you expect? You can't just throw out a garbage statement like that without taking the demographic of UG in mind. That the majority of DM fans is 18-20 or somesuch is hardly surprising, given that most users on here probably are around that age. I'm sure most of the jazz fans on this site are 18-20 too. Go into the real world and you'll find plenty of death metal fans who were kids when the genre started 20-or-so years ago.
    Reviewer Pete
    Poglia Oh, and I have NEVER seen a Death Metal fan older than 18-20. All of you guys were born in 1994-1992-1991 and so on, I have checked all profiles. Two weeks ago I have seen Edguy live (this is real, MATURE music for me) and all were older than me (I'm 21). All 30 or 40 years old.
    tamotots
    Cianyx wrote: Oh, and I have NEVER seen a Death Metal fan older than 18-20. All of you guys were born in 1994-1992-1991 and so on, I have checked all profiles. Two weeks ago I have seen Edguy live (this is real, MATURE music for me) and all were older than me (I'm 21). All 30 or 40 years old.
    Well i'm 15. And i'm a death metal fan. in your face
    Cianyx
    Poglia wrote: 2) Death Metal is VERY technical and difficult to play, I know, but the riffs are random and without any criteria. EVERYONE can just fill Guitar Pro with random notes and the result will be a typical Death Metal riff. And growl? I simply hate it... singers who use growl use it because they can't sing clean. Oh, and I have NEVER seen a Death Metal fan older than 18-20. All of you guys were born in 1994-1992-1991 and so on, I have checked all profiles. Two weeks ago I have seen Edguy live (this is real, MATURE music for me) and all were older than me (I'm 21). All 30 or 40 years old.
    A tiny thing.. Growling is not singing.. It never was and never will be.. It is NOT a substitution for singing either. Death Metal vocalists are called vocalists not singers for a reason..
    Poglia
    thephilguy wrote: 1) what are you doing posting on the Cannibal Corpse review if you have no interest in it? 2) it's not "random brutal riffs" by any means. I hate it when people trash music they don't understand. the creative effort and technical proficiency that goes into this music is probably too much for some people to comprehend. oh well...
    1) I'm just saying that I don't like them. Can I post my opinion? I think I'm free to do it. Please note that I have not said "They suck", but "I don't like them". They are skilled musician and I respect them, but I don't like their music. Understand now? 2) Death Metal is VERY technical and difficult to play, I know, but the riffs are random and without any criteria. EVERYONE can just fill Guitar Pro with random notes and the result will be a typical Death Metal riff. And growl? I simply hate it... singers who use growl use it because they can't sing clean.
    GoldSoundzUKNZ wrote: sorry but I just don't get how this is considered music. it's just roaring disgusting lyrics over chugging guitars. i get Nile and Opeth, at least they're tuneful, but I don't get how anyone can just put a Cannibal Corpse CD on and listen to it, or even take it seriously.
    This. Oh, and I have NEVER seen a Death Metal fan older than 18-20. All of you guys were born in 1994-1992-1991 and so on, I have checked all profiles. Two weeks ago I have seen Edguy live (this is real, MATURE music for me) and all were older than me (I'm 21). All 30 or 40 years old.
    brutalkid
    run at me anyone who came on here and said **** cannibal corpse i will kill you... is a good song hahaah
    Spooni_Shaq
    littleleo88 wrote: not really. more like a truth-teller. do you lot really enjoy "classics" such as "skull full of maggots", "Rotting head", "I Cum Blood" and many other highly disturbing titles. If music says something about a person, this sort of music says something very worrying.
    Yes I do enjoy them. See, the trick is to understand the band before slamming them. They intend for their songs to be like gore fest horror movies, only in song form. Aka they are portraying a fictional theme in their music. If they took their lyrical content seriously, then wouldn't you think they would be in a mental institution or jail?
    littleleo88
    Spooni_Shaq wrote: Cyanide86 wrote: This band is (one of) the worst piece of shit that I have ever heard.Catastrophic vocals & pathetic and childish lyrics!!! Troll, yes =D? Looking forward to googling another set of lyrics
    the-hynes
    I like CC just on the fact that their lyrics are hilarious. Music is ment to be fun
    pitbull510
    lol, you think playing slow is messing around? That it should just be used as a buildup? Its not ALL about playing fast, as much as blast beats are awesome.
    GoldSoundzUKNZ
    sorry but I just don't get how this is considered music. it's just roaring disgusting lyrics over chugging guitars. i get Nile and Opeth, at least they're tuneful, but I don't get how anyone can just put a Cannibal Corpse CD on and listen to it, or even take it seriously. Saying that, their cover art is always interesting, if only to see how grotesque they make it each time...this one is disappointing, almost like Dance of Death
    markdirt
    I cannot imagine a more boring or unoriginal band. Cannibal Corpse is the Kenny G of gorecore.
    RUSTDOGG666
    these guys are gods. everything they do ****ing rules. long live cannibal corpse and they're amazing metal music. hell yeah.
    Scout1011
    The gory lulz continue with this album (along with actual decent death metal)
    CradleOfJames
    Mine hasn't come in the mail yet :'( Cannibal Corpse are my favourite band, their lyrics make me laugh. "Your dead child I defile Necropedophile" Thats so awesome! I wish I could see them, but they are banned in Australia :'(
    Drezzdez
    Flamers must die, CC are the greatest DEATH METAL band in history in my mind. Hope they continue the brutalness
    Poglia
    desimate wrote: define the term "normal lyrics" for me will ya please? because ive got a feeling your idea of "normal lyrics" are very different from other peoples =)
    I mean SERIOUS lyrics, like: - Life - Death (it's serious, but not if you say "I'm gonna kill you and blow your brain onto the wall!") - Feelings - Religion - Loneliness - Love And so on... of course I like funny songs too but I simply don't like death metal. It makes no sense for me, I like MELODIC music and CLEAN voice. Not random brutal riffs without melody and just "GROOOOOWL IM GONNA EAT UR BRAINK GROAAAAARRR!".
    devjeetroy
    but i see fun in their lyrics and if u dont ill take u as a test subject and follow the instructions given in the song "hammer smashed face"
    diddykoi6
    Poglia wrote: Don't flame me, but I hate Cannibal Corpse and brutal "splatter" metal in general. Why can't they write normal lyrics? They are disgustign, I see no fun in their lyrics.
    flame? anyhoo i prefer other stuff this is to wierd for me but thats just me so yaa
    Camron62\m/
    you don't know brutality. really? is that what yer looking for in death metal? fun? go listen to A Day To Remember. jeez.
    Emsixteen 42
    Poglia wrote: There are always exceptions, and I was talking about real life, not UG. At least here, all Death Metal fans are 14 year old kids that think "omg itz fukin evil i luv it!!!!". You are free to listen to Death Metal, Jazz, Pop, Rap, House, etc if you want, even if you are 50 years old. I don't care. But I simply consider NOT mature a band based on fast riffs that says "GROAAARR ZOMBIES WILL RAPE UUUU".
    The last time I went to a death metal concert, most ov the people were way over fourteen years old. Oh, and Cannibal Corpse is more intelligent lyricly than Groar Zombies Will Rape You. Oh, and Edguy isn't mature music at all. Real mature music is Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, and many other classical musicians. I don't normally listen to classical, I'm the metal person type, but that is real mature music. I obviously don't give a crap about music being mature because I wouldn't listen to death metal like this.
    blinky67
    Brilliant Production! Brilliant Material! My Favourite Line-up! And Now My Favourite CC Album
    FearOfTheDuck
    Its always funny seeing the amount of people talking crap about Cannibal Corpse. If you don't like 'em, don't go onto the internet to complain about them you sad, sad people! I love CC, they're a death metal band who don't tske themselves that seriously. Most recent albums have toned down lyrics and artwork and the musicianship just keeps getting better. They were the first band to mix metal with b-horror movie gore. Just look at them as, an extreme version of the Misfits haha. Or not
    Aggro
    I think that Kill is better than this. But I still like Evisceration Plague :]
    trivium036
    "Normal lyrics"? I laugh at this term You mean crying about being dumped by your gf or singing about clubbing?
    trivium036
    Im sooo happy with this album. Alot better than Kill, which i found disappointing.. Compared to the wretched spawn anyway. This album has a similar sound to kill, but 50x better. Corpsegrinders vocals are sounding mad. Now all i need is for CC to remake the first 4 albums with George.
    exodus_thrash
    Ikonoklast wrote: Cannibal Corpse is one of those bands that are always the target of some parents group that is deeply offended by lyrical content. What those parents hear on Evisceration Plague shouldnt ease their worries, of course. Hahaha, i remember when i was about 12, and my mum told me off cause she found the cd with 'Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cnt' on the back. Happy days, will be checking this out.
    LOL mum's dont like death metal. my brother got abused for having the song "**** your god" by deicide :haha my mum insisted it got deleted. i dont know why she doesnt like death metal, i mean, she show's traces of satan himself.
    Set-Abominae
    This album is sick (in a very, very good way)! I think I've listened to it ten times over by now. My favorite track is easily Priests of Sodom. Seeing them in Edmonton in April, I cannot WAIT.
    RMM82
    I like this album, but i just don't think it's as good as "Kill" was. I think this one kinda gets old after a while. Oh well, I just got the re-release of "The Bleeding," so I'll be listening to that instead. Keep it brutal CC!!
    paranoiddemon
    I happen to find it very fun. When I have a good day, I listen to Modest Mouse. But there are just those days when I want to rip someone's head off. And for those days, I release myself with Cannibal Corpse, The Acacia Strain, etc.
    Unispex
    The nw album is BAD ASS!! Amazing production, they picked a great producer. Key tracks here IMO are A Cauldron of Hate, Carnivorous Swarm, title track, Shatter Their Bones, and Priests of Sodom. all of them are killer though, this is actually the album that got me into this band.