Gore Obsessed Review

8.7
 7.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Gore Obsessed Reviewed by: guitfiddleRR, on october 07, 2010

Sound: The sound of this album is very raw and heavy, and similar to "Bloodthirst". The songwriting structure though, is slightly different from its predecessor. "Bloodthirst" had some more traditionally influenced musical structure in many of the songs, while this album is a straightforward technical Death Metal album. I can't tell you who stands out the most on this record because the band is tighter than ever as a piece. Every CC album seems to surpass its predecessor in many ways, although I still like "Bloodthirst" more than this one. Still, the musical performance of this album is brutal in every aspect. Not too many songs are that memorable, but it will satisfy the heavy quench of a metal addict. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are just as brutal, deep, and heavy as any other Cannibal Corpse album, also bringing in some new creative and bloody ideas. One thing I had to laugh at about this record is the title. With seven previous releases all containing some of the most graphic album covers in all of music, "Gore Obsessed" seemed a little cheap. Trust us guys, we've figured this out about you already. Seriously though, the lyrics are sufficient. They have good compliance with the music along with well depicted graphic imagery. Another cool bonus is that a bonus twelfth track can be found on many copies of this, a cover of Metallica's "No Remorse". The performance is also top notch. George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher is a fully established professional Death Metal vocalist at this point, and it shows during every moment of every song on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album. With weight, technicality, and speed, this album is a very fair follow up to "Bloodthirst". My main criticism of this album is that not a whole lot of the songs or riffs are that memorable, at least in my opinion. This is probably just a personal opinion, this album still deserves much credit for its effort and accuracy. I guess I just enjoy other Cannibal Corpse albums better. Still, I would say any Cannibal Corpse or technical Death Metal fan should make an effort to own this record. It will leave you gore obsessed for sure. // 8

Comments