Kill review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
Cannibal Corpse: Kill

CC have perfected the death metal sound with their most recent release. Fast, technical guitars layered over a steady bassist (who, when he chooses to show it, is incredible) and blast-beating drums. The riffs on this album are superb, and make use of a Cryptopsy-style jazz-death metal hybrid mixed with all the atonal ferocity of early Slayer. The bass work on tracks like The Discipline of Revenge and Infinite Misery is impeccable stuff. The drumming, typical of CC, isn't great, but the drum production is done so well that you forget about that as soon as the blast beats thunder out of your speakers. The apex of what a classic death metal album should be.

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher breaks out the gutteral vocals on this album, working the mic in a surprisingly fast style reminiscent of Mike DiSalvo- that is, if he were an actual DM vocalist. The vocals are largely gutteral, mixed with a few moments of well-used screaming that sounds, thankfully, nothing like any metalcore band. The vocals are a bit too high in the mix, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. Typical of CC, the gore factor of the lyrics is very high. The surprisingly benign cover does no justice to the lyrics of songs like Five Nails Through The Neck and Necrosadistic Warning, which is a nice break from the usual Cannibal Corpse. Not much has changed here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's my first CC album, but it definitely ranks among my top DM albums. Every song has its own character and unique riffage appropriate to the theme. While Five Nails Through The Neck moves at breakneck speed with trem picking, the chugging Death Walking Terror moves at an appropriately moderate pace interspersed with some great riffs. Every song's a winner here, with the brilliant instrumental Infinite Misery closing the album with infernal, bowels-of-hell-type riffage. My only complaint is that I wish the vocals were a little less high in the mix. If it were stolen or lost, I'd absolutely buy it again. Time to kill is now!

frank_rhyno
    I personally didnt like this album. I prefer the Wretched Spawn more. I do not know why.
    Shinozoku
    TheRattlenake wrote: Well If it makes kids feel better somehow then I guess these guys have a point to play what they do but I dont see how extreme violence and gore makes people feel better about there life or any hardships they might have just faced like losing a girlfriend like I cum blood like holy shit, but if it works for some people whatver then, you made a good point, it was nice arguing with you ill stop.
    Death metal is the musical equivelant to horror movies. I love horror movies, and I'm getting this album. If anything, I'm gonna get it BECAUSE of the people who bash it. But then again, I've still heard "Make Them Suffer", first CC song I've heard, and it definatley won't be the last.
    TheRattle§nake
    Dude, If a band like cannibal corpse is not in it for the money then what are they in it for? They obviously arent trying to get any type of point across and its not like Im just bashing them without listening to them either I listened to as much as I could take. Every band should have a point to get across through their music like punk rock bands like anti-flag are against the Us governement and war and such so they tell kids through music, theres alot of shit emo bands in my opinion but the real ones express their feelings about relationships and things realted to that.Dont get me wrong, cannibal corpse play very fast guitar parts but you HAVE to recognize the stupidity of the lyrics, and what chance have they ever had to sell out? you thnk MTV are making them offers?NO, and I do hate sell out bands also and I do hate MTV,MTV ruined music. As you can see I suck at putting my thoughts into writing.
    metallica72487
    They could sellout anytime they want to they can play very good way better than those mtv bands and they could write about aongs about there girlfriend and about how bad there life is but they chose not to because they chose to play the music they love death metal and as far as lyrics go they write stuff like that because it fits the brutality of the music they love horror and the negativy of the lyrics helps get alot of anger out and if your feeling bad the music can help you get out agression and it makes you feel better when you listen to it they may be hard for some people to understand but if you dont like this band or this kind of music i don't understand why people come on here and give it negative reviews if your not into a certain type of music then of course your gonna say it sucks same goes with death metal is a form of music and its not for everybody
    TheRattle§nake
    metallica72487
    Thats fine im just trying to prove a point that this it good music and i think the musicians especially guitar and bass players are unfairly overlooked in this genre.
    malfeitor665
    Though a good album..it seems these reviewers see at as their best.Kill did show a return to the fast ass blast beats we loved..but still isn't even their fastest..as far as technical..yeah...corpse keep one upping themselves with that...but as far as overall (being the proud owner of most their entire catalog (I need the killing spree damn it...which by the way has a lovely comic book rendition of Unleashing the Bloodthirsty thanks to Vincent Locke)...I personally would rate this album about a 7 comparatively to their overall catalog...
    Gopher636
    do you stupid s hits actually think they rape dead people and stuff? godammit theyre messing with the stereotypes of metal, because they know *****s like you get there panties all tied up about it. and when you can play frantic disembowelment at the same speed cleanly with hi-gain, then you can say they suck. maybe. nope, nevermind. narrow minded sh its...
    JVDumarC
    [quoteHave you seen them live? They are AMAZING! and they do not jump around, that would make them look like a bunch of apes. They stand strong on their territory and headbang like there was no tomorrow. and only one of them scream thankyou very much, the rest are too busy playing the fastest and most difficult riffs known to man. So there. ][/quote] u tell that pussy dude... CC it's awesome... HEADBANGIN'INSANE, 'til braindamaging headache... \m/ >_< \m/ Jst listen to "Severed Headstoning" MG... BRUTAL!!
    Dude...
    metallica72487 wrote: Whats with all of you ****ers comming on here giving Cannibal Corpse bad reviews when you don't even like them and you more than likely dont even like death metal and you probaly dont even like extreme metal bands at all you think there just in it for the money they may make a living off of it but they dont get any radio play and there not getting a million dollars they have been on metalblade records an indy label which has a bunch of talented bands on it including Cannibal Corpse that are hardely ever regonized except for in the underground and without metalblade there wouldn't be one of the most widely regonized metal acts in the world Metallica which has influced many other of todays bands and they were also the first label to sign slayer Cannibal Corpse have stuck with this label since they started and have never sold out so they can make more money everytime they put out a cd they do it for the the music and the fans and they are very good musicians thats why there band has lasted as long as it has and thats why it will continue that way just because you dont know what good music is doesn't mean you should bad mouth Cannibal Corpse and all of there fans I bet if they ever become a mainstream band and it was considered popular to like them you would be like i have always loved there music but its not popular to like this band so people like you put them down and give them biased reviews.
    personally, i think consumers need to hear all opinions to make a good choice. While some of them are retarded others just want to express their point of view. If noone reviewed it that didn't like it it would be called "Bias".