Kill review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
Cannibal Corpse: Kill

Cannibal Corpse is the world's best-selling death metal band. Despite widespread censorship (in Germany, Cannibal Corpse is prohibited from playing songs off it's first three albums, while in Australia, New Zealand, and Korea, the group's merchandise was temporarily banned) and a decidedly niche market, the band has sold a million albums worldwide over 18 years. This is no small feat considering that the band typically has song titles like "I Cum Blood" and "Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's Cunt." Unsurprisingly, much of the band's fan base is old-school death metallers and rebellious teenagers. And of course, the band's lurid image and merchandise has contributed to it's sales. However, crucial to the band's success is the fact that over the years, Cannibal Corpse has evolved into a formidable technical death metal band. The group doesn't play as fast or complicated as, say, Hate Eternal or Origin, but in a metal world of ever-increasing chops, Cannibal Corpse has more than held it's own.

The addition of Fisher injected new life into the band. Fisher brought clearer, faster vocal articulation (think Slayer's Tom Araya, but an octave lower), as well as his patented "helicopter hair" headbanging. The band's sound grew increasingly sophisticated, as did it's production values. Vile was the first death metal album on the Billboard charts; highlights of the Fisher era include the Worm Infested EP and The Wretched Spawn. Both feature huge production by Neil Kernon, and the latter includes an enormously entertaining making-of DVD. Given the quality of the albums with Kernon, producer Erik Rutan (of Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal repute) had large shoes to fill here.

Kill is hands down Rutan's best production yet. The sound is clear and heavy without the over-processed sheen that afflicts many modern metal productions. More importantly, Rutan brings out impeccable performances from the band. The album has a precision and power about it that comes from a band that's fully in control. Album opener "The Time to Kill Is Now" is two of the most vicious, focused minutes of sound ever recorded. Right off the bat, Fisher screams "Kill" as breakneck riffs and drums fly by. Thirty seconds in, a wrenching, whammy-bar-abused solo crackles across the proceedings. The band's trademark pinch harmonics lead to the irresistibly catchy refrain, "Time to kill is now." One can't help but sing along. "Make Them Suffer" operates similarly, with tremolo picking and thundering thrash beats yielding to the mantra, "Make them suffer." Despite the constantly shifting time signatures (there's very little 4/4 here), the songs always returns to hooks or phrases that tie everything together. Bassist Alex Webster writes most of the band's material, and his songs deftly balance technicality and brutality. For such concise songs (only one exceeds four minutes in length), there's a lot going on. "Five Nails through the Neck" is absolutely crushing, with a steel-toed half-speed march (in odd meters, of course) leading to a rip-roaring gallop that dares the listener to keep up. The album has no weak songs, and has enough variety (album closer "Infinite Misery" is a surprisingly slow, doomy dirge) to keep the listener engaged throughout. At this stage in the game, Cannibal Corpse won't win any awards for innovation. Over the years, the band has stuck to the brutal death metal template it helped invent, while tweaking it's sound just enough to remain relevant. While this group of guys pushing 40 could easily rest on its laurels, Cannibal Corpse has served up a nice surprise here. The songcraft, catchiness, and cohesive energy of Kill make it one of Cannibal Corpse's best albums. Cannibal Corpse is one of the few bands that plays death metal for a living; this album is ample proof why.

slayerofsouls
    Probably the Best release of '06. "Maniacal" has to be the best cut off this album. I lyric s are so stright forward an pissed-off Cannibal in finest form. "rage, taking control of my mind, finding the need to kill, without mercy.." that one will go down in history an a Death Metal Classic. And to all those talking shit, shut the **** up! If you're a cannibal fan and didn't like the album thats one thing but don't come here and shit on them because you dislike them.
    AmorVincitOmnia
    There's a lot of people that just love playing music. They don't care what the lyrics are, as long as they're performing in front of their fans. Also.. It keeps them going. It's not "easy" to play their style of music and make the money they make. So it would seem to me that they do it because it's difficult, and the things in life that are difficult, tend to be the things that are worth doing.
    IainDavies_2
    I've only heard three songs from this album. but i know i will buy it. i don't own any death metal albums and i've only just started getting into it. i always new about cannibal corpse, even when i was like 8 years old becaue of the ace ventura movie but now i see how relevant they are to death metal, they are in my opinion the best pure death metal band out there (except Death)
    IainDavies_2
    one thing i have to say. the more i see Pat O'Brien play guitar, the more i feel less of a guitar player. he is AMAZING. if you've seen the video on you tube for Frantic Dissembowlment then you'll see what i mean. he's so relaxed yet so perfect. and his solos on kill are pretty sweet aswell. he might not be the most unique or hasn't written the most catchy songs ever, but his definately one of the best guitarists out there.
    el_guitarrist
    cannibal corpse is an great band but with a little bit more of blast beats, cannibal corpse would be an greater band
    shredder_666
    Enough with the ****ing complaints by these pussies who hate the band simply for the song titles, album covers, and lyrics. Probably a bunch of ****ing christians. STOP coming to these ****ing sites just to insult other peoples favorite bands. You dont see many Metal fans going to britney spears and hilary duff reviews and leaving comments about how sluty they are do you? HUH? copy and paste one for me faggots! I agree that THE STORIES behind Cannibal Corpse lyrics are beyond wrong, scary, cruel and terrible...but thats just it!... ITs music this is CREATIVE EXPRESSION. Bless this band for having the balls to write interesting music. Think of this genre as horror movies. People who watch horror movies dont necessarily support murder and terror, but they are looking to get a kick out of a good movie. Music is no different. Have an open mind faggots. Personally, i enjoy billy joel, bob segar, the eagles, the police, as well as bands like quiet riot, whitesnake, trixter, motley crue, as well as bands like metallica, megadeth, dragonforce, atheist, slayer, and anthrax, and also bands like Cannibal Corpse, Napalm death, mayhem, venom, and rob zombie. I even enjoy some garth brooks and brad paisley. My point is i have an open enough mind to search through genres that may such but find good artists or songs. I dont hate bands just because of covers or song titles. I dong give a shit who says shit like this. But **** you people, leave CC fans alone. YOu have a problem, go up to corpsegrinder yourself and tell him he sucks....in person, i dare you...tell him. On a personal note...GREAT album. Love it. Love the band, listen to them everyday. Devoted fan forever.
    Icons of Evil
    awesome album i would say its probably their best one i have all of their albums and this one is just amazing The Bleeding or Gore Obsessed would be the next best album and they are not Black Metal
    Cobain_Is_King
    Kill is one of the best albums I've bought in years. All those bitching about George's lyrics, or Cannibal Corpse in general, just **** off. Yes, the lyrics are about murder and disembowlment, we accept that, doesn't make us stupid though does it? Don't diss a band just because you don't like them or understand them mate.
    leper_affinity
    This is a pretty solid album, although I really dispute that CC are one of the great death metal bands their act relies too much on gimmicks and shocking people with gory lyrics. Nile, Behemoth, Opeth...those are some genuinely decent death metal bands.
    Funyun
    First album of theirs i got and ever since then ive been getting all their albums, Gore Obsessed, Eaten Back to Life, Vile, The Bleeding and Tomb of the mutilated
    DP_SF_DTX_RATM
    Anybody who posted here just cause they hate CC and want to get a reaction out of us, here's a tip, GO OUTSIDE. I love em, there sound always impresses me, Alex Websters one of my favorite bassists.
    thrashnmosh782
    your mom i cant beleive you ppl just sit and bitch about a band u dont even like. if u dont like them why the FUCK do u sit around and rip on them? like CC is amazingly talented (not my fav, but still epic) and they write amazing music. so all yall who sit around and just chirp on bands that u dont even listen to, grow a pair and **** off cuz no one wnats u around
    {Haggard}
    "Kill reaches into the back of your throat and pulls out your writhing skeleton" thats quite imaginative man. The first time I ever heard CC, I went into my dungeon, put on an execution mask, put my own head in a vice, and let 'er rip. I don't know how you can listen to these shenanigans. It's horror to a new level. It's even worse than reading an R.L. Stine book. It's like getting run your dick slammed in a suitcase. Just makes me want to punch my cat in the head. Goodbye.
    mchugh92
    i wasnt really into death metal but i was curious about it and i went for the only death metal band id heard of and it was CC and i downloaded songs off of gallery of suicide at first i thought it was crap but then i researched other bands of the genre and found that there was a lotta subgenres and i downloaded the album human by death and loved it, then i downloaded this album and listened properly and loved it, death metals an aquired taste especially CC so if you dont like it then dont comment on the reviews of the most death metal band there is, i love the guitar work on this, the riffs are insanely technical and the solos respond to the violent lyrics really well (harmonic squeals and fast chromatic runs things like that)
    Pingis_Or_Death
    TheRattlenake wrote: Dude, If a band like cannibal corpse is not in it for the money then what are they in it for? They obviously arent trying to get any type of point across and its not like Im just bashing them without listening to them either I listened to as much as I could take. Every band should have a point to get across through their music like punk rock bands like anti-flag are against the Us governement and war and such so they tell kids through music, theres alot of shit emo bands in my opinion but the real ones express their feelings about relationships and things realted to that.Dont get me wrong, cannibal corpse play very fast guitar parts but you HAVE to recognize the stupidity of the lyrics, and what chance have they ever had to sell out? you thnk MTV are making them offers?NO, and I do hate sell out bands also and I do hate MTV,MTV ruined music. As you can see I suck at putting my thoughts into writing.
    Why they play? Because they like it, or because of their fans? Ever though of that? Smartass.
    BumSnack
    Dear god. ITS DEATH METAL!!!! Of course the lyrics are gonna be disturbing. CC are great, they are easily the best death metal band. Now shut up and get outta here you fags.
    stumaster18
    BloodCellZ wrote: Sorry, but there is something wrong with someone who writes a song about ripping out the entrails of a virgin or whatever that song is called. I'm surprised that any record label would support them, but oh yea, I forgot, they'll sell anything that makes money!
    obviously. welcome to the world of business, which backs up music altogether. without money, there would be no music. So you should thank it.
    Shredder Guitar
    that was an awesome review, the one for today. someone who appreciates the music without bitching about the subject matter.
    njc3190
    I don't like this band's music, but they interest me and i find them funny! For all those ppl saying "why do you even clik on this page and comment, if u dont like the band?", the idea of these articles are so that anyone can comment on their feelings about it. It's not an exclusive page for CC lovers, so pppl have the right to say what they want about this band!
    Teufel
    Death Walking Terror. Hell yeah. Cannibal Corpse is the shit.
    pitbull510
    I am a diehard death metal fan, but i must say- CC sux! they give death metal a bad name. Ill admit, some of their stuff is a little catchy, but you guys need to listen to more cryptopsy.....
    Burning_Angel
    Sure the lyrics are disturbing. But you people cant take it so seriously. Its all Black Humor. You think they REALLY want a monster to come out of some chicks pussy? Wow. You'd be an idiot to think the lyrics were serious.
    Dirtydeeds468
    Want some cheese with that whine? Maybe you pissheads complaining about the lyrics should show some goddamn consistency and start complaining about horror movies, gore flicks, violent video games, and violent telivision shows. You yuppies spend so much time bitching and moaning about how you don't like censorship that it appears you can't find time to uphold your ideals in places that aren't convenient to your image and taste in music. Idiots.
    punksucks666
    yer these guys seem prety fuking crazy, tis just hard to find some of their more.....appeling music. if anyone can hook me up with some of thier more better songs like only 5-6 send us a email of em on salty_mcstooge@hotmail.com cheers .....devildriver \m/
    slayer7666
    cannibal corpse ****ing ownsss this cds pretty good but theyll never top totm.
    Sinten
    who the **** plays death metal for money? the huge majority of death metal bands can't even live on their earnings from their music alone and work second jobs. and i doubt the members of cannibal corpse are rolling in cash either, they are successful for the genre but they working their ****ing asses off for it. you pussy mainstream emo bitches need to get out of here and go post on your generic regurgitated rerecords
    Rebourne
    Dirtydeeds468
    Rebourne wrote: Cannibal Corpse sucks, you have to have an IQ of 60 or be completely ****ing deranged to ignore how all of his lyrics are either about killing or raping someone. I'm all for free speech, George can say whatever the **** he wants, but you don't have to be stupid enough to listen to him.
    STFU No one cares about how you lack the intestinal fortitude to listen to Cannibal Corpse (even when you probably can't understand the lyrics) or watch a horror movie. BAWWWWW
    x Trev x
    I'm into all forms of music whether it's jazz, metal, emo, noise, alternative, etc., and I must say that Cannibal Corpse is one of the greatest death metal bands ever. Of the three CC records I own, this is the best. All of them crank, though. THE TIME TO KILL IS NOW!!!! \m/
    hawkdude9