Kill Review

Cannibal Corpse: Kill
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Speed Metal, Grindcore
Kill reaches into the back of your throat and pulls out your writhing skeleton. This is metal crafted with little remorse for the eardrums and souls of its' people.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.7
 9.3
Kill Reviewed by: Ploosh_Meister, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is unbeleivable. It's brutal, insane and faster than anything. The production is so perfect that there is not one way to critisize it. Everything is just right and just how it should be. The drums are ounding and unforgiving, the guitars more technical than anything else you'll ever find, the bass awe inspiring (listen to intro of Discipline Of Revenge) and the vocals are great. // 10

Lyrics: What can you say about Cannibal Corpse lyrics. The lyrics on the album consist of rape, serial killings, and overall violence, just as a cannibal corpse fan likes it. The vocals fit in perfectly with the music, adding to the overall brutality of the record. Although George Fischer has a rather linear vocal range, he still keeps it interesting through this 40 minute Gorefest. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is brilliant. Not only does it have lyrics that can make you cringe, but the music is so technical, so fast and insane, that I would easily say this was the best Cannibal Corpse album to date. Every song has it's brilliant bit, and each riff, drum fill or bass line seems to have been thought out immensly. If someone stole this album of me, I would hunt them down and make them pay cannibal corpse style, listen to Maniacal, you'll understand. Buy this album. Buy it now. // 10

Kill Reviewed by: enterlude, on august 21, 2007

Sound: Cannibal Corpse is the world's best-selling death metal band. Despite widespread censorship (in Germany, Cannibal Corpse is prohibited from playing songs off it's first three albums, while in Australia, New Zealand, and Korea, the group's merchandise was temporarily banned) and a decidedly niche market, the band has sold a million albums worldwide over 18 years. This is no small feat considering that the band typically has song titles like "I Cum Blood" and "Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's Cunt." Unsurprisingly, much of the band's fan base is old-school death metallers and rebellious teenagers. And of course, the band's lurid image and merchandise has contributed to it's sales. However, crucial to the band's success is the fact that over the years, Cannibal Corpse has evolved into a formidable technical death metal band. The group doesn't play as fast or complicated as, say, Hate Eternal or Origin, but in a metal world of ever-increasing chops, Cannibal Corpse has more than held it's own. // 8

Lyrics: The addition of Fisher injected new life into the band. Fisher brought clearer, faster vocal articulation (think Slayer's Tom Araya, but an octave lower), as well as his patented "helicopter hair" headbanging. The band's sound grew increasingly sophisticated, as did it's production values. Vile was the first death metal album on the Billboard charts; highlights of the Fisher era include the Worm Infested EP and The Wretched Spawn. Both feature huge production by Neil Kernon, and the latter includes an enormously entertaining making-of DVD. Given the quality of the albums with Kernon, producer Erik Rutan (of Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal repute) had large shoes to fill here. // 7

Overall Impression: Kill is hands down Rutan's best production yet. The sound is clear and heavy without the over-processed sheen that afflicts many modern metal productions. More importantly, Rutan brings out impeccable performances from the band. The album has a precision and power about it that comes from a band that's fully in control. Album opener "The Time to Kill Is Now" is two of the most vicious, focused minutes of sound ever recorded. Right off the bat, Fisher screams "Kill" as breakneck riffs and drums fly by. Thirty seconds in, a wrenching, whammy-bar-abused solo crackles across the proceedings. The band's trademark pinch harmonics lead to the irresistibly catchy refrain, "Time to kill is now." One can't help but sing along. "Make Them Suffer" operates similarly, with tremolo picking and thundering thrash beats yielding to the mantra, "Make them suffer." Despite the constantly shifting time signatures (there's very little 4/4 here), the songs always returns to hooks or phrases that tie everything together. Bassist Alex Webster writes most of the band's material, and his songs deftly balance technicality and brutality. For such concise songs (only one exceeds four minutes in length), there's a lot going on. "Five Nails through the Neck" is absolutely crushing, with a steel-toed half-speed march (in odd meters, of course) leading to a rip-roaring gallop that dares the listener to keep up. The album has no weak songs, and has enough variety (album closer "Infinite Misery" is a surprisingly slow, doomy dirge) to keep the listener engaged throughout. At this stage in the game, Cannibal Corpse won't win any awards for innovation. Over the years, the band has stuck to the brutal death metal template it helped invent, while tweaking it's sound just enough to remain relevant. While this group of guys pushing 40 could easily rest on its laurels, Cannibal Corpse has served up a nice surprise here. The songcraft, catchiness, and cohesive energy of Kill make it one of Cannibal Corpse's best albums. Cannibal Corpse is one of the few bands that plays death metal for a living; this album is ample proof why. // 9

Kill Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on may 10, 2006

Sound: CC have perfected the death metal sound with their most recent release. Fast, technical guitars layered over a steady bassist (who, when he chooses to show it, is incredible) and blast-beating drums. The riffs on this album are superb, and make use of a Cryptopsy-style jazz-death metal hybrid mixed with all the atonal ferocity of early Slayer. The bass work on tracks like The Discipline of Revenge and Infinite Misery is impeccable stuff. The drumming, typical of CC, isn't great, but the drum production is done so well that you forget about that as soon as the blast beats thunder out of your speakers. The apex of what a classic death metal album should be. // 10

Lyrics: George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher breaks out the gutteral vocals on this album, working the mic in a surprisingly fast style reminiscent of Mike DiSalvo- that is, if he were an actual DM vocalist. The vocals are largely gutteral, mixed with a few moments of well-used screaming that sounds, thankfully, nothing like any metalcore band. The vocals are a bit too high in the mix, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. Typical of CC, the gore factor of the lyrics is very high. The surprisingly benign cover does no justice to the lyrics of songs like Five Nails Through The Neck and Necrosadistic Warning, which is a nice break from the usual Cannibal Corpse. Not much has changed here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. // 10

Overall Impression: It's my first CC album, but it definitely ranks among my top DM albums. Every song has its own character and unique riffage appropriate to the theme. While Five Nails Through The Neck moves at breakneck speed with trem picking, the chugging Death Walking Terror moves at an appropriately moderate pace interspersed with some great riffs. Every song's a winner here, with the brilliant instrumental Infinite Misery closing the album with infernal, bowels-of-hell-type riffage. My only complaint is that I wish the vocals were a little less high in the mix. If it were stolen or lost, I'd absolutely buy it again. Time to kill is now! // 10

Kill Reviewed by: elementsk8er002, on december 11, 2006

Sound: This album seriously blew me away. This band has much talent and I think they really showed it in this album. The riffs were mind blowing and each time I heard them solo or squeal, I smiled to myself. Cannibal Corpse has many albums and in my opinion this one was the best. After listening to all their older stuff, nothing compared to Kill. Paul Mazurkiewicz does an awesome job on the drums as well, he synchronizes everything perfectly with the guitars. The guitars are crazy and I liked the parts where sweep-picking was involved, the drums also have a good sound to them. // 9

Lyrics: To be truthful, I don't really listen to the lyrics, George Fisher has amazing death metal vocals though. That adds intensity to the music and makes it all that much better. Cannibal Corpse was always based around morbid and brutal lyrics, and their lyrics in this album went well with the music they produced. At times I listen to death metal not just for the lyrics, but for their skills at guitar and drums, I don't care how good or crappy their lyrics or singer is. // 8

Overall Impression: When I look at death metal all by itself, there is some bands here and there that stick out, but Cannibal Corpse is one of those bands that never go unnoticed, whether people love them or not. They are the official pioneers of death metal. The most impressive songs on this album to me have got to be "Make Them Suffer", "Death Walking Terror", and "The Time To Kill Is Now" The thing I liked about Make Them Suffer was the chorus part and how it just kicked in to it, it's real head-banging material. I loved the solo even though it was short. "Death Walking Terror" starts with a slow, heavy riff but does not lack in brutality, which is one thing I love. "The Time To Kill Is Now" has got to be my personal favorite. George just starts one of his famous yells and it ties all the music and everything together. The thing that made this my favorite song was all the squealing involved (it all starts around 1:19 into the song). By the way, if this album got lost, I'd probably buy 2 more, no matter what kind of looks I get. That's how good I think it is. // 9

Kill Reviewed by: Sintera666, on february 20, 2007

Sound: If you know death metal as well as I do, you would know that Cannibal Corpse is one of the greatest of them all. This album proves that! This is the third Cannibal album I've bought and it compares to all the others. The sound is fantastic, taking you into an alternate universe of utter chaos and gore. The opening song, "The Time To Kill Is Now," seems like an unimpressive title, but that all changes in a flash with blaring guitars with unbelievable speed. But saying that, when they play that fast, it's a little difficult to make out. But who cares! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are just what you'd expect from Cannibal Corpse. Each song is a horror story of mutilation and hammering nails into someones neck! Mixing all that in with George 'CorpseGrinder' Fischer's awesome gutterals! The combination of deep gutterals to high pitch screams, this albums got it. It doesn't have Chris Barnes constant growl, which you can't understand, from earlier albums. But even saying that, I don't think George's vocals are perfect either. But Who Cares! // 9

Overall Impression: This album does get a ten in overall. It has the right mix of everything a Death Metal album should have. I bought this album when it first came out and I still listen to it! The only song that I've lost interest in would have to be Brain Removal Device just because it becomes, well, annoying after a while. But this album is a must buy for all death metal fans! // 10

Kill Reviewed by: chikenpoop666, on february 06, 2009

Sound: these guy are probly one of my fav bands next to pantera, slayer, death, and venom. their sound on this album is like running into a brick wall, it's just so solid. the guitars in this are as heavy as a dumptruck full of fat people's crap, and at some points can sound super crazy (listen to maniacle). the lyrics are still full of violence, torture, and death. I listen to everything, even hank williams (40's country). the only crap I don't listen to is new rap, new rock, or new country (I hate new things, born in the wrong time). I'm only 12 but I'm still not falling for all these gay new trends, and these guys prove it. these guy will always be one of musics most influential, and controversial bands ever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics. The only way I can describe these lyrics is by saying brutal, violent, and gore. The corpsegrinder is still laying out those screams, and the rest of the band is still writing amazing stuff involving war, torture, and being submerged in boiling flesh. The lyrics flow perfectly with the music. The lyrics are a little clearer and easier to understand. When you read the lyrics, especially on 5 nails through the neck, it's almost like reading a story. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks ass, and is the bands second best album, next to evisceration plague. my fav songs have to be submerged in boiling flesh, brain removal device, maniacle, and make them suffer. There's nothing to hate about this album at all. // 10

Comments