The Bleeding review by Cannibal Corpse

Cannibal Corpse: The Bleeding

As the last album of the Chris Barnes era, this may well be old-school Cannibal Corpse's greatest achievement. CC definitely have a knack for writing grinding riffs but slowing it up enough to make it interesting. My favorite is "Stripped, Raped and Strangled" because it's riff is so unique, and of the vocal work, which I'll cover later. "Pulverized" has such an odd, winding guitar job that it just grabs you and doesn't let go. The sound is comparable to other death metal bands of the time, with many fast riffs and drums, but these sickos do it with their own flair.

The lyrics, probably the first noticed by any listener. As evident by the song titles, the lyrics are unnecessarily gory, but, of course, it's Cannibal Corpse. Every song is about rape, torture, violence, dying, or being dead. If you know what you're being served, than you won't be as shocked. I won't even bother quoting some lyrics, as you can find out yourself.. Barnes' vocals are awesome, as his low growl was one of the best in the business. He even does an occasional high scream, which has a great effect. Fisher's vocals, to me, aren't as good, so I find this album to probably be my favorite CC disc. 10 for vocals, but lower for intense yet repetitive lyrics.

After fighting through the pummeling drums, hyper speed guitar and serious death metal vocals, you have to conclude that this is one hell of a CD. With amazing production compared to similar gore grind/death metal bands, everything is heard quite well. While favorite tracks are "Stripped", "Pulverized", "Return to Flesh", and "the Bleeding", every song is strong. There's a little bit for every death metal fan, even an occasional Chris Barnes high scream! Don't judge this album based on the new CC you here about so often. Pick it up and find out for yourself.

KoRnOnA6String
    RockFreak000
    This CD sucks my friend gave it to me cause he didnt like it and im gonna throw it away.
    LiE_iN_SiLeNcE
    It amazes me how much of a dick u guys can be. So you don't like the music. stop bitching about it and go listen to something else. Mayb other people like it, and that's cool. just don't listen to it if you don't like it, don't ****in insult it
    StratPat
    1st? Cannibal corpse are the worst display of music I have ever heard. Utter and complete garbage.
    Icons of Evil
    this album is awesome i put it right next to my Arsonists Get all the Girls cd, and Suicide Silence Cd
    Slayer 101
    ****ing emo fags with your 60$ hair cuts and self pitty. get the **** off this link. im suprised you faggots can even look at a cc album cover without it destroying your fragile little hearts
    iand93
    This is a great album. Probably my favorite by Cannibal Corpse.
    srpv92 wrote: cannibal corpse are the most ****ed up band ever, and it's believed the singer does necropheliac ! im suprised the music industry let these albums get realed for how screwed up the lyrics are... yet bands like the anti know-where legue found them selves banned from playing certain songs live... this sucks
    CC has been banned from playing certain songs live before too. They've even been banned from playing live at all in some places.
    ImagineTheThorn
    srpv92 wrote: yet bands like the anti know-where legue found them selves banned from playing certain songs live... this sucks
    Then you should know that Cannibal Corpse is banned from playing any songs from their first 3 albums in alot of European countries.
    anthrax1214
    my favorite cannibal album. everybody always says "YOU CAINT UNDERSTAND THEM WORDS!" guess what... So? THis is the clearest chris sings with cannibal. he makes more sense than most punk/emo music, which i hate with every inch of my being. so all you bashers/posers can go listen to some green day or fall out boy or avenged sevenfold, easy listening.
    anthrax1214
    HybridMan wrote: Cannibal corpse is the worst music ive ever heard, its a -10/10 rating
    THEN WHY DO YOU LOOK AT A CANNIBAL CORPSE REVIEW?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    SUICIDEXX666
    dude you must be ****ing stupid they said it entertainment and who the **** give you that ideal that chris barnes do necrophila and they also said never do any of this shit that they write about
    Realityburn
    The hate for Cannibal Corpse is hilarious. Newsflash: If you take this band's lyrics seriously, even the band themselves are laughing at you. Cannibal Corpse is fun the same way a slasher flick is fun. Do you watch a Friday the 13th movie expecting great dialog and character development? Of course not. And you don't listen to Cannibal Corpse expecting beautiful guitar melodies and introspective lyrics. If you accept Cannibal Corpse for what they are (a musical version of a low budget slasher flick), then they're a fun band. If you take them seriously, you are, quite frankly, an idiot. I don't listen to death metal at all anymore, but I'll still throw The Bleeding on now and then and rock out to it like I did in my teens.
    mchugh92
    this is just stupid why are yous arguin about what band is better, i mean CC are awesome in my opinion, but thats just it: AN OPINION, it doesnt mean shit to anyone else except me, so just wise up and stop arguing music cos yous will be here all ****ing day, and to those who are trying to start these arguments wise up and go to a page of band YOU like instead of bringing other people down cos of their tastes in music
    hawkdude9
    actually they are banned quite frequently-they cant play anything from the first 3 albums live in germany and they dont sell the first 3 in like germany, russia, and new zealand amone others
    Shredder Guitar
    yeah that was awesome on ace ventura! lol. and yeah i agree, the lyrics are quite violent, but you cant understand them anyway... the bass on hammer smashed face sounds intense
    invisible_mann
    srpv92
    boyan89
    CANNIBAL CORPSE WHOOO!! and yah i agree with invisble_man and guitar-pete those ppl who hate it **** them! go listen to your fall out boy and cant handle the truth that metal just wipes every emo shit nowadays *signs* stupid emo!
    guitar-pete
    Just gotta put my 2 pence in. All those complaining about Cannibal Corpse, why did you click the friggin' link? If you're too pussy or can't handle the lyrics go listen Fall Out Boy. And it seems that most of you out there are too stck up your own arse to realise that Cannibal Corpse are just having fun with their music. And that Hammer Smashed Face bass solo is awesome live. Especially on Live Cannibalism.
    RX120D
    invisible_mann wrote: haha, ****ing pussies. cant handle the lyrics and brutal vocals? stop listening to all that emo bullshit and start listening to something with a bit of hair on it!
    BAHAHAHAHAHAH! OMFG! LOLOLol!
    RX120D
    shwilly wrote: they are the Michael Angelo Batio of Death Metal
    Michael Angelo Batio sucks, hes fckn boring, omg i would rather watch the grass grow. Guitar world needs to stop doing videos abou him, he's a fag. just because he can play fast and knows every fkn scale ever doesnt mean he's amazing. im sick of hearing "MAB is the best guitarist ever" he's just fast, no emotion in his music. and its soo repetitive, every song has 20 mins of shredding. CC is pretty good, i only like the Gore Obsessed album cause its not too random. theres awesome riffs in that album. Pit Of Zombies is by far their best song. anyway, how many steps down are they tuned? every time i try to figure it out i get all messed up lol. \m/
    stumaster18
    KoRnOnA6String wrote: LOL @ All you guys here! It's just a friggin' act! When asked about people being turned off by their lyrics, he answered "Hell, even we think our lyrics are weird" XD! Anyways, don't take these guys too seriously, really, they're just having fun, in a way ; And I'm more into the 'new' generation of Cannibal Corpse. I really don't like the old vocal work, and the guitars have a much lesser impact, mostly because of their higher tuning. In my opinion, Kill rules all! \m/ (Yes, I'm a downtuning-*****. Well, basically, they didn't really downtune, seeing they still have their old tuning basically intact. It's expand-tuning XD)
    Thank you for not being an ignorant *****
    invisible_mann
    haha, ****ing pussies. cant handle the lyrics? ****ing stop listening to all that emo bullshit, and listen to something with a bit of hair on it.
    fendermustang12
    Wow... If you don't like the band, go the **** away, ok? Music isn't completely about lyrics, and these guys are just bashing on their instruments and yelling. You're to ignorant and deaf to hear the talent these guys have. I'd like to see you guys try to play their material. Anyway, this album is good, but there are a couple of boring tracks, Pick Axe Murderers is one, but it's still solid. Though, Tomb of the Mutilated is indeed their best album.
    RUIN717
    ok if people are really afraid of these guys and think they should be banned and stopped, then i would think they would have the same opinion about every horror movie ever made as well, cause i mean its about the same thing, cept one is through music and one is onscreen, either way its jsut about having fun in your own way. and for all those people calling cannibal corpse talentless, i would like to see you pump out that many good albums in 15 years and be able to play music like that, in other words if you say they are talentless you are clearly uneducated and know nothing of Death metal and cannibal corpse, i am not saying that everyone needs to listen to Death metal and shit, i am just saying that you should respect it for being an established musical genre with many talented musicians in it.
    Kivarenn82
    whoah! this takes me back. i haven't seen this album in well over 10 years! back when we all had dial up and i think we still had napster to share our music. anyway, looking back.. this still is one of my favorite metal albums of all time besides the lyrical content now. but i think we're all grown up enough to know that they weren't serious, and has someone mentioned earlier.. its all an act! look past all that and enjoy some downright heavy tunage.
    Mr.headbanger
    i think there lyrics are intense, its not like there going to do it or anything. if you dont like the lyrics then get passed them and listen to amazing talent.
    D. Hero
    I read that Jim Carrey liked these guys at some point in his career. Probably around Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. I think that's why they were in the movie lol. I think Cannibal Corpse is pretty cool, actually.
    eblood21
    Jaked_Baked
    wow everyone here is pretty **** whining about the lyrics and contenet... the genre is called DEATH- metal.. or r u retarded and not capable of reading the word DEATH or no its meaning... the whole point of DEATH-metal is to sing and write vocals based on death and gore...AKA (for all the retards)DEATH-metal(u no the gengre of music DEATH metall) if it was for these gorey DEATH lyrics it wouldnt be call DEATH metal *****s.. and to think u ppl say they have no talent are u **** kidding u try to play like them..and if ur goin to say IM BETTER.or.THEY suk well then my friend tell me how many albums u have out there?? ..its pretty Obvious this band is like by ppl if there selling?? (or does ur little brain that doesnt understand the meaning of DEATH metal cant comprehend that??) so if u dont like death metal cause u cant handle vocals/lyrics which is that whole point go listen to another type of metal(u no cause there is other types of metal out there...reallyyy!!??..yeah)exp. metal-core or i was goin to say black meatl but thats about satan n u probly wont be able to handle that either. neways stopping bash these band on wat there purpose is suppose to be which is creating once agian DEATH-metal..yes "DEATH"..u no wat DEATH is right
    gywo copta
    I don't like Cannibal Corpse but why care about the lyrics? As Tom Araya of Slayer said, "it sells records." It's that simple.
    belialonmyback
    Like Jaked_Baked said, the lyrics in this type of music are about death and violence, and incase you haven't noticed, both are very real things. If you've ever enjoyed a horror movie before or some program where there was violence, then you shouldn't really be complaining about the lyrics. As far as the vocals are concerned, anything but extreme vocals would sound out of place with the music.
    Jaked_Baked
    now also a reminder for all those fragile ppl out there death is about fluffy bunnys and star and princes is about well haha death..torute...gore..and voilence(the sould purpose and point of death metal)again if it wasnt for that it WOULDNT be called death metal...neways i recommend for sum ppl to watch metal: a headbangers journey teach u a lil bit maybe cause when it come to gengres of metal music sum of you;s need to take baby stepps
    noahray
    i highly doubt anyone listens to cannibal corpse expecting anything OTHER than gore lyrics, decimating growls, pulverizing riffs, and frantic delivery. if you were expecting sappy bullshit lyrics, whiny emo faggots with wide rimmed glasses, and mediocre recycled taking back suunday riffs please stop posting on REAL band's reviews and threads. also, Gats is a BAMF and probably listens to cannibal corpse.
    NosferatuZodd09
    uh als ot the speed thing some dude said about MAB and CC they are quite fast... Frantic Disembowelment -> 280 BPM and uses sixteenth and triplet 8ths... so... that's fast as hell :S
    NosferatuZodd09
    eblood21 wrote: haha this music is a joke. it completely sucks. the riffs arent complex, the vocals are pointless and stupid, and the full band sounds like a walrus giving birth. aka it sucks. you disagree with me? **** you.
    funny thing talking of complex when you like taking back sunday... quite ironic >.>
    KoRnOnA6String
    @RX10D: They're currently using standard Bb, I've got my 7-stringer(contrary to my name, lol, old name) in standard A, and the lowest I've ever fretted a song of theirs off the "Kill" album was 1 on my low A-string. For their older albums most of it is standard Eb, basically the same as Bb, just without the actual Bb.. yeah.. lol And the next one that says Children of Bodom sucks: 'FUKK OFZ MAN, U LIEK SUK N STUFZ!' ; Really, why can't people just listen to what they like, and let other people listen as well.. >.> No need to bash bands, it's not going to make their fans listen any less.. Unless they're sheep, that is ;..