The Bleeding Review

Cannibal Corpse: The Bleeding
Release Date: 1994
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
The Bleeding continues the trajectory Cannibal Corpse had established during their early-'90s heyday.
 6.9
review (1) 74 comments vote for this album:
The Bleeding Reviewed by: themetaler, on july 27, 2007

Sound: As the last album of the Chris Barnes era, this may well be old-school Cannibal Corpse's greatest achievement. CC definitely have a knack for writing grinding riffs but slowing it up enough to make it interesting. My favorite is "Stripped, Raped and Strangled" because it's riff is so unique, and of the vocal work, which I'll cover later. "Pulverized" has such an odd, winding guitar job that it just grabs you and doesn't let go. The sound is comparable to other death metal bands of the time, with many fast riffs and drums, but these sickos do it with their own flair. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, probably the first noticed by any listener. As evident by the song titles, the lyrics are unnecessarily gory, but, of course, it's Cannibal Corpse. Every song is about rape, torture, violence, dying, or being dead. If you know what you're being served, than you won't be as shocked. I won't even bother quoting some lyrics, as you can find out yourself.. Barnes' vocals are awesome, as his low growl was one of the best in the business. He even does an occasional high scream, which has a great effect. Fisher's vocals, to me, aren't as good, so I find this album to probably be my favorite CC disc. 10 for vocals, but lower for intense yet repetitive lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: After fighting through the pummeling drums, hyper speed guitar and serious death metal vocals, you have to conclude that this is one hell of a CD. With amazing production compared to similar gore grind/death metal bands, everything is heard quite well. While favorite tracks are "Stripped", "Pulverized", "Return to Flesh", and "the Bleeding", every song is strong. There's a little bit for every death metal fan, even an occasional Chris Barnes high scream! Don't judge this album based on the new CC you here about so often. Pick it up and find out for yourself. // 9

Comments