Tomb of the Mutilated review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Sep 22, 1992
Cannibal Corpse: Tomb of the Mutilated

The first CC album I picked up, and I was not disappointed. Right from the start we get the skullcrushing Hammer Smashed Face. The title says it all, extremely heavy sounding guitars, hyper fast drumming and a bass interlude? Yup, it's there. Vocalist sounds like he's trying to spew his guts out into the microphone. I Cum Blood follows, again a brutal riff fest. The guitarists sure know how to make a damn brutal riff. Also the solos here are great. Kudos to these guys.

The lyrics, as you can imagine, are quite disturbing to those not already inaugurated into the death metal world. The titles themselves can at times be disturbingly delightful, such as "Necropaedophile" or "Post Mortal Ejaculation." The lyrics go well with the music, even if, at times, they don't really have much point other than adding to the putrid effect of the music. Vocalist (Barnes, I think it is) can do very low death metal growls to mid range screams, the guy can do it all!

Other bands in the genre would do well to create an album as crushing as this. Although not the most extreme band on the planet (that title would probably go to bands such as Agoraphobic Nosebleed or perhaps The Berzerker), they surely are technically proffiecient in their respective fields. For me, the highlight of the album is Hammer Smashed Face, their most popular live song to date. If the album were stolen, firstly I would track the person down and cause them a lot of pain (obviously reading from the lyric book to get some ideas). Or I could just buy another copy.

Led_Zeppelin992
    bassplayer496 wrote: Well, I'm not gonna argue, but I don't find him to be talented. And you're right, I can't really compare him to Les Claypool or Flea, but I don't think he's very good. The bass is tuned down alot, and played with a pick, and I just don't find the stuff he plays to be very hard. I'm really not trying to get in an argument though. You listen to this, and I'll listen to what I want to listen. I know it's not really fair for me to just diss on cannibal corpse when I'm not a fan of the black metal genre as it is. ~Love, Dallas~
    Dude Hammer Smashed Face is in Eb standard. AND, CC's bass player uses his fingers.
    turbopunk2000
    Nobody should take cannibal corpse seriously. Their kind of like weird al, they're a "joke" band. That's why Jim Carrey is a fan (I think)
    nostiQ
    For those of ya that are disgusted, you should know: there is a reason WHY the band is named "Cannibal Corpse". You're not supposed to look at the name and think "wow! I bet they talk about love and first kisses!"
    Gopher636
    "Hey! My name is Dallas, I'm 14 years old, and I have been playing bass for about a year and a half. I have a led zeppelin and metallica tab book, so I figured I'd tab some songs that haven't been tabbed or haven't been done to well" no, you fail. Cannibal Corpse own Metallica and Led Zeppelin, and just about every copycat band that spawned after them. sure, maybe its not 'enjoyed by the masses' but its ****ing death metal for god's sake. if they played Hammer Smashed Face in Hollister, im gonna bet 80% of the people that listened to it beofre wouldnt, cause the last thing metalheads want is an anorexic dumb blonde in uggs and 4790338 lbs of makeup singing ****ed with a knife. you fail. and considering your a beginning bassist, i figured you'd at least appreciate how godly alex webster is. stop being so narrow minded you prick.
    Sceptile_Master
    No and a closer reindition of their vocals would be alot worse than that but you gotta love 'em for it ;p.
    pantera27
    this is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. plain and simple this is pure brutality
    Soulreaper520
    bassplayer496 wrote: My views on CC have changed quite a lot since my rantings a year or so ago. I still don't think they're great, but I at least like a lot of their live stuff. I still think they tend towards self parody sometimes, but they're not so bad. What I find funny is that I really like their first few album covers, but I think the alternate covers for gore obsessed and bloodthirst are better than they uncensored ones, especially gore obsessed.
    At least u arent bashing Webster anymore
    Soulreaper520
    Jack Owen left in 20004-2005 so those crap solos arent in Kill or Evisceration Plague (which ****in slaughter). Pat Obrien is a way better soloist for CC than Jack. period
    vampyre-rock
    i like all "old" CC stuff like this. not the "new jack owen crap solos... overt techinical wankery pile the bodies send them to frame the human race sentenced to learn crap"
    hawkdude9
    "bassplayer"496 needs to get laid or get a brain. im assuming nobody wants him so he needs a brain. im not a bassist, and i know how hard it would be to play those bass parts. im smart enough to at least know he uses his fingers, and is the main songwriter for CC.
    boyan89
    One of the albums that redefined death metal and what it means. Some magical stuff.
    AzureNight
    bassplayer496, are you joking? Alex Webster is a KILLER bassist. Much better than Entwistle, Burton, Miller, Butler, etc. Les Claypool is different because his music is bass oriented. However, I'd like to see any of the others even attempt the difficult bass stuff Webster has to pull off.
    mickmars2
    led_zeppelin992 is right bassplayer496, alex uses Eb on all the early cannibal corpse songs, and he uses his fingers. i don't have many favourite bass players but i do luv how alex makes his bass stand out from the drums and guitars, especially on i cum blood. i luv this album, but i will shamefully admit the intro to addicted to vaginal skin scared the ****ing hell out of me! does anyone know if it's real or if someone just acted it out?
    bassplayer496
    I'm sorry, I'll try to start learning from bass players who get a pick and bash away. I'm not trying to get in an argument, but I don't see how you could say this is better than metallica. I'm sorry, but I think it just sucks. Let me tell you some good bassists :John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Flea, Cliff Burton, Marcus Miller, Geezer Butler. I don't care if you like this, but I don't. ~Love, Dallas~ ~Love, Dallas~
    mchugh92
    this is my fave CC album, hammer smashed face is a brutally awesome opener, with a good bass solo in the intro, i love the guitar solo in i cum blood, and chris barnes is at his best on every track here, definetely a must-have for fans of death metal
    BigRudy
    Tomb of The Mutilated is a classic, and it makes Metallica sound like the backstreet boys.
    bassplayer496
    My main probably with the band is that the music is just so dull....it just bores me. I know it's totally fair for me to tear apart this band since I'm not a big fan of the death metal genre. (With the exception of Venom and Death, if they count) But as far as being scary, this band doesn't even hold a candle to skinny puppy, now VIVIsect VI is a pretty terrifying album. ~Love, Dallas~
    Fetusmasher
    Great note by nostiQ.. don't pick up Cannibal Corpse and expect some sissy metallica fag thing.. this is real metal and not for the faint at heart.. Keep listening to the same old metallica shit (I stopped listening to Metallica upon the rel of Justice= "shit").. I traded it for a can of fart spray..
    Fetusmasher
    Bassplayer do you realise that Mr Webster would have to lear the ropes to get to where he is.. Just watch the Wretched Spawn DVD and see this maniac on his own and you will be blown away.. Oh and hear him blow Cliff Burton RIP away on the cover of no remorse ROT!!!
    Fetusmasher
    By far the most BRUTAL Corpse album Ever!! Barnes is the one and only when it comes to disemboweling and raunch.. And for the idiots comparing Webster to Flea or the other Fag.. Webster is a monster and can play anything they can play and with ease!!.. And don't call Corpse Black metal cuz it is not It is death metal/horror/grind at its finest!! ROT!!!!
    cmerules
    Cannibal Corpse is such a great band they OWN EMO BANDS!!!! Kudos to my Favorite band in the Universe exept for slayer!!!!! LONG LIVE CC