Torture review by Cannibal Corpse

• Released: Mar 13, 2012
Cannibal Corpse: Torture

Cannibal Corpse's "Torture" does not fail any expectations. Each song is unique, very well written, and this time, not predominantly written by Alex Webster. The sound is phenomenal and Eric Rutan does a great job producing once again. You can hear each instrument equally and there's not that big of a battle for individual volume. This album separates itself from "Kill" and "Evisceration Plague" in creativity. Any death metal and Cannibal Corpse fan should own this album. You can't get anymore brutal than Corpsegrinder, Pat O'Brien, Rob Barrett, Alex Webster and however you pronounce the drummer's name... Alex had said they were excited about recording this, and that they tried to make each track recognizable and stand out from one another. They did a damn fine job. Better than "Kill" at least.

Although I listened to this album on an iPod, I wasn't able to look up many lyrics, but that doesn't mean that the guys weren't trying hard to write bad-a-s lyrics. Corpsegrinder delivers them unlike anyone and that's why he's the best. I don't pay attention much to the lyrics anyway, but I can tell you that the lyrics on Torture are DEFINITELY worthy of staying in your head if you read them while listening to each song. The lyrics match the music so well, and if you're a big Cannibal Corpse fan like me (kinda), you'll agree. If I saw more lyrics, maybe the rating would be 8, but because Corpsegrinder is a beast all his own... Here ya go.

I've only listened to this album twice all the way through, and I was already doing air guitar on some songs through the first listen. I play guitar, and it's now safe to say, Pat O'Brien is indeed one of the greatest metal guitarists in the community. He may sound a bit sloppy on his solos, but I'd like to see YOU copy HIS solos EXACTLY the way they are like he does and at that insane speed. Even well over a decade into writing guitar lines, Rob Barrett and Pat O'Brien lay down some bad-a-s riffage, structure, accuracy and skill. This band did an amazing job. 01. "Demented Aggression" - a fast, blistering track. Very impressive. This'll be a fan favorite, since it starts the album, maybe if anything else. 02. "Sarcophagic Frenzy" - quite a hardcore grooving f--king tune! Pounding, headbangable, great riffs, pretty beast. As I said before, production is great, and shows itself in this song. 03. "Scourge Of Iron" - unique from anything else I've heard from them (I don't know much). Catchy, very heavy, not just all speed and sloppiness. You'll like this one if you're searching for something that'll give you visions in your head with the lyrics and ominous music. Great solo. One of my favorite tracks. 04. "Encased In Concrete" - music video, yay... I don't mean that sarcastically, I mean it'll be very interesting since this song is so brutal. Impressive track, these guys are geniuses. 05. "As Deep As The Knife Will Go" - loud, catchy, instruments being played the shit out of... It makes me wonder what's going through the guitarist's mind when writing such incredibly creative guitar lines and connecting each section. Listen for yourself. 06. "Intestinal Crank" - wild, fast track, no one does shit like this better. Completely brutal break. Great solo if you can hear it well enough to realize the insanity of it and that you'll never be able to play it the same way. 07. "Followed Home Then Killed" - what's this? A change of pace? Oh, my God how it sure works. A slow, fast, scary, creepy song that could be a movie. Cool track, one of my favorites. 08. "The Strangulation Chair" - brutal f--king track. Catchy with odd changing time signatures. Great bass solo from Alex Webster. One of my favorites. 09. "Caged...Contorted" - pounding, brutal very heavy. Sudden tempo/time changes and not a bad solo make this track stand out. Listen for Alex's insane bass playing under the guitar at some parts! 10. "Crucifier Avenged" - intro reminded me of "Death Walking Terror", this is an interesting song, cool structure, pretty damn heavy... 11. "Rabid" - guitar playing is great, structure is great, bass playing is noticeably outstanding, and Pat delivers a great solo. Fast tune. 12. "Torn Through" - low sounding, very brutal song, interesting solo... Is this it for the album? Because I'm very pleased with the way the whole thing turned turned out. Alex Webster is the greatest death metal bassist besides the dude from Dying Fetus. Like most Cannibal Corpse albums and songs, I'm quite impressed, but I'm gonna need to listen to them alot more to actually remember them well. Great album, good job dudes.

dark Mass
    Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: That's pretty tame for one of their album covers.
    That's just the sleeve to cover the real cover.
    Soundservant
    SkepsisMetal wrote: Christmas Guy wrote: Ace Ventura Isn't actually a CC fan
    Is actually called Jim Carrey.
    crazysam23_Atax
    EpiExplorer wrote: Well, its CC, and ya know what yer getting.
    True, but the way you're saying it, it's like what you get is boring. Also, am I the only one who thinks the UG team needs to stop doing reviews. Their reviews are always so blah or so misinformed. It's bloody annoying.
    BlackSymphony6
    Leather Sleeves wrote: Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: That's pretty tame for one of their album covers. That's word-for-for the exact same thing I said when I looked at this.
    Their last two covers have been pretty 'tame' too. But if you have the physical copy and open up the front piece, it gets a bit more gross!
    soadhusky
    gonna buy it! PS the guy on the cover reminds me of DEATH from DARKSIDERS 2!
    Leather Sleeves
    Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: That's pretty tame for one of their album covers.
    That's word-for-for the exact same thing I said when I looked at this.
    iommi600
    Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: That's pretty tame for one of their album covers.
    True. I miss artworks like 'Gallery of Suicide' and 'Tomb of the Mutilated'... The album is great, nevertheless!
    Axemaster333
    KILL is WAY better than this album....it had more than blast beats every song. I like it, don't get me wrong, but I like KILL a lot better. Evisceration Plague is a hair better IMO as well. They still kick ass though...that is a well known fact
    SGofawesome
    [quote]crazysam23_Atax wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Well, its CC, and ya know what yer getting. True, but the way you're saying it, it's like what you get is boring.[quote]I personally do think Cannibal Corpse has gone stale. I liked select songs and when I started to expand on their catalog, I just couldn't get into all the similarity. I haven't listened to this record just yet though, so I could be wrong this time around.
    Cantplay4penuts
    Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: That's pretty tame for one of their album covers.
    There is a sleave covering it so they dont need to cencor it in as many contrys (i assume). The cover underneath is brutal. You can see it if you google the album in images.
    BlackDeath92
    EpiExplorer
    BlackDeath92 wrote: I wonder why Cannibal Corpse covered their brutal album cover with a sleeve. Does it have to do with shipping the album to other countries?
    Very much so, especially in Germany (Who seem to hate death metal covers for some reason), Australia (because their entire goverment is a silly mess) and compliance with certain parts of American law.
    Reflection92
    this literally rapes evisceration plague. an amazing album from start to finish, can't believe how every song is truly different and individual! HAIL CC, best metal release in a while
    Camron62\m/
    so my review wasn't the best... my second review i've ever done for this sight so yeah lol.
    flickermf
    CC never lets me down and this album is a brutal,heavy head grinding album!
    Bastard inc.
    Am I the only one that think this album is plain s**t? In a bad way. There are no memorable riffs by the time the album ends (except for track #3). Sure they can play fast and accurately, but big a 'meh' overall. This makes me like Evisceration Plague more.