Civil Disobedients review by Capdown

• Released: May 22, 2000
Capdown: Civil Disobedients

The sound on this album is very good for a debut ska-core album, sometimes debut ska albums are usually badly recorded and suffer in quality this album does not. The guitar, bass, drums, saxophone and vocals are all at the right volume and contains a perfect sound. Half of the songs on this album are fast punk songs, the other half dives into reggae, dub, ska-punk and ska-core fields. The album is diverse in those respects but stays in the Ska-core/Punk feel throughout the album. This album has a perfect sounds all the way through it.

This album contains to singers who split the vocals in each song, the main singer Jake Sims-Fielding who also plays saxophone is an amazing frontman with undescribable vocals. He mainly shouts the words so they fit in perfectly with the backing music. The back up vocals in this album is performed by Keith Minter who has a similar voice to Jake but differs in the right ways adds and fills in all the rightly needed places. This album contains feelings about their political stand point and singing about their opinions and views about the government, their life and people "sitting on their arse". I don't find it as opinionated as their other albums because of how fast they sing it's hard to understand the message they're getting through. This album came out in 2000 when the band was very raw and fast, jake's singing skills weren't really at the peak they are on their later album but he still packs a force with his fast and rough vocals.

I absolutely love capdown so my opinion might differ from someone else but this is an amazing album and anyone who likes hardcore punk and ska should definitely get their hands on a copy. I've listened to the song "Ska Wars" and "Cousin Cleotis" at least 300 times and I've probably listened to this album in it's entirity 100 times. The only bad thing about this album is that as jake being the only horn section it lacks some saxophone in some parts. If this album were stolen I'd dive into the fetal position and eat my hands, after that I'd head home and try to order a copy off the net.

EpiExplorer
    alkalineweeman
    EpiExplorer wrote: Generally when something has -core at the end of it means a punk offshoot. So.. its just Ska, then. And its a bit dull to listen to.
    Actually the suffix -core would traditionaly mean blended with hardcore which this album has small elements of. I'd probably rather call it Ska-Punk than Ska-Core but it's definatly not as you put it "just ska".. in any case whatever genre its lumped in you gotta take each piece of music on its own merit and don't get hung up on labels. On topic i haven't listened to this album in a few years but remember really enjoying it, i'll need to dig it out and see how it stands today. Decent review, surprised its the 1st.
    faultyy
    Nice review. This is still one of my favourite albums, don't think there has been a week where I havn't listened to it since about mid 2002. It's a shame they split up and that they never topped this album (in my oppinion anyway)
    Jackolas
    pop punk? you are "turtlely" wrong, as they would say north of Nottingham.
    Mr Pringle
    Haanz wrote: Skacore is Flatliners. This is pop punk ska.
    Now having listened to the capdown since after I wrote this review, I would take my claim back of calling capdown "Ska-core" but this album isn't pop punk ska in anyway really, it's got 3 or so songs that fit under ska-punk and the rest are more a less fast punk songs, aswell as a dub song. Really it's a diverse album, I should have made that more clear in my review :\