Trout Mask Replica review by Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band: Trout Mask Replica

How does this album sound? It sounds like nothing that you've ever heard (unless you play you're guitar stoned out of you're head). The guitar varies from being skillfully played and catchy to out of tune and bonkers. At first, you'll be horrified at what you're listening to and you'll quickly learn to despise this album. It will take a while, but you'll soon begin to pick out the hidden intricasies and find that even the rubbishy tunes are quite catchy. Songs like The Blimp and Human gives me blues will stand out just for their crazy sounds and warped imaginings and songs like Frownland will stand out for the reason that it's so wrong and yet so right.

The lyrics range from rubbish (You're X ray Gingham dress, I knew you were under duress) to blilliant (I don't want to kill my china pig, oh no. A man's got to live, a man's got to eat, a mans gotta have shoes to walk down on the street). The majority of lyrics grow on you (Even the gingham dress sounds cool eventually) and pretty soon, you'll be singing them out loud in the shower. At first, Beefheart's voice is absolutel shockingly, depressingly awful, however, as the album goes on, you can tell that he really isn't that bad. There are some songs where his gravelly voice actually complement the music wonderfully (China Pig). There are even one or two songs where there is no music at all-only beefheart singing. These are preety good despite the lack of music and help to add variety to the album.

This album in no way compares to any other artist (except maybe rank Zappa, who produced it). It stands alone in it's field (wierd guitar/jazzish, artsy). The most impressive songs are China Pig, The Blimp, Antmanbee, Old Farts At Play, Humangivesmeblues and Pachuto's Cadavar. I love the freaky guitar playing and the way that the lyrics shouldn't fit the songs but do. I stared off hating the guitar and the other instruments, but at the end of the day, this album is like a fried mars bar - so wrong and so right. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the culprit and eat his children.