Live Life [EP] Review

8.7
 6.2
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Live Life [EP] Reviewed by: Ultimate-Grohl, on september 26, 2015

Sound: At the tail end of 2012, Capture The Crown released their debut album, "'Til Death," and immediately, Capture The Crown became a household name. "'Til Death" placed high on a few charts, notably Top Heatseekers. Unfortunately vocalist Jeffrey Wellfare performance was muffled by some weird, staticky sound in that album that probably ruined the experience for many listeners.

Following good success on tours, Sumerian Records dropped Capture The Crown from their lineup due to "musical/creative differences." It's not uncommon for Sumerian Records to play a part in a bands success that may jeopardize the bands future. The same fate was tested on I See Stars with their release, "The End of the World Party," and although that album was flawless, it was relatively poppy and polarized fans of them for years until their next release.

The stress that the band went through after their fallout with Sumerian proved to be too much, and in November 2013 they cancelled their UK tour. However, they've worked on an album while they were signed with Sumerian and wanted to release it very soon.

Capture The Crown set up a crowdfunding campaign to fund their upcoming EP, "Live Life," and exceeded their goal by $10,000 (with the help of one lucky fan :'). Capture The Crown secured the rights to their EP, and "Live Life" was born!

Whew, that was a lot of base to touch.

"Live Life" is the second studio work and first EP by Australian electronicore band, Capture The Crown. There are 5 songs on this EP. A good EP can really benchmark a bands success and put their career in perspective. It can also tell you how the band would sound on upcoming efforts. Unfortunately I can tell you one of those statements are true. Heh heh heh.

It sounds similar to "'Til Death." The songs are tuned to Drop C rather than Drop D. The electronic elements and synth are prominently featured, and are very titillating to the listener. The best thing about this EP is there's less "modulated" sound to this album and does NOT sound like you're listening to this EP through a VCR. You can actually hear the voice of Jeffrey Wellfare. Although absent static still plays a role in this EP, not as much.

The songs on "Live Life" are a lot less volatile; breakdowns are kept to a liberal amount, and tempo changes are less frequent. While there's no "spectacular" guitar licks like on "'Til Death," there's nicely structured passages that are full featured.

While Capture The Crown are very capable musicians on their own, "Live Live" is not without a few guest appearances. Much like on "'Til Death" with Denis Shaforostov, this album has a few notable personalities in the metalcore scene, such as Gus Farias of Volumes, Telle Smith of The Word Alive, and brace yourself, Siri of the iPhone. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Live Life" can range from linguistic to laughable, but a clever laugh. While many people couldn't take Capture The Crown seriously after hearing "You Call That a Knife? This Is a Knife!," lead vocalist Jeffrey Wellfare takes his lyrics a bit more seriously.

He's an absolute lyricist. Jeffrey Wellfare has a way with words the normal person can't fathom. Just look at "Live Life." Although his thick Australian accent and refined fry vox makes a translator quit their job, the lyrics leave so much for the listener to learn that looking them up dampens the experience and almost ruins the mystery of listening to that song, almost.

The lyrics dive into different themes, such as how we ruined the world in "Rebearth," all the way to getting drunk on "All Hype All Night," to a rather intimate performance in "When I Get Home."

Speaking of vox, Jeffrey Wellfare has a voice that just won't quit. His vocals are nearly identical to the ones featured on "'Til Death." Jeffrey has cleans you wouldn't believe. Even better is his fry vocals. Jeffrey had used his throat entirely prior to "Live Life," now he uses a tiny amount of voice.

The best lyrical performance in my opinion comes from "Rebearth":

"With the world at our feet
And the words
In our souls
We could change the world
But we're comfortable
Living in a fucking hole"

"We all try to change it
So easily
By stomping on the necks
That need to breathe
We stick our fingers in their eyes
When they need to see" // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great EP and shows substantial growth for the band. Capture The Crown have worked really hard and have gone through various struggles that have taken down many "Verb The Noun" type bands. I'd prefer a more volatile sound like on "'Til Death," but getting back on page is a good start. I'm sure most people will eat their worlds after listening to "Live Life." If this album doesn't satisfy your sonic needs, it makes a great way to keep dust out of the CD tray in your ute.

Honorable mention: the unmastered version of the song "Live Life" should've been featured on this EP. // 9

Comments