Love Loss Hope Repeat review by Carbon Leaf

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Carbon Leaf: Love Loss Hope Repeat

On Carbon Leaf's website you can listen to a couple select songs from the album, but when I first found out that if you preordered this album you culd listen to it online I went on amazon right away. This is definitely the most mainstream of any of Carbon Leaf's albums, which is a step forward. The album has a nice shiny polished sound to it, which is much different than their other albums. Personally, I prefer a little more of a raw sound, if you've ever seen Carbon Leaf live it's incredible; the album does not give that live feel that I've gotten so used to. So, as a recorded it is fantastic, but there's nothing like a good live band.

Barry Privett makes absolutely amazing lyrics and is an amazing singer. A couple highlights, the second song, and title track, "Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat" sums up just that. "The War Was In Color" depicts a Grandfather telling his grandson about WWII, truly original and historic, "What good did it do? Well hopefully for you, a world without war, a life full of color..." my favorite lyrically is "Block Of Wood" which symbolically shows what can be created out of what you have and what you've lost. My favorite song from the album though is "Comfort" with the line "The more you live the less you will die."

My favorite thing about Carbon Leaf is every album brings something new, it's never repetative, despite my want to hear more of the same from them. Overall I'm left amazed again. I'd definately buy another copy if mine was stolen. I hope someone takes the time to tab some of the songs from the album I'd love to learn to play them.

Fargalas
    I don't know about this newer stuff. They started out great, and seemed to progress in the wrong direction for me after Echo Echo.