Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious review by Carcass

• Released: Oct 30, 1991
Carcass: Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious

From the very first moment I listened to this album, I was hooked. It was exactly what I had been looking for in terms of musical aggression, songwriting ability and technical skills. It may not be as aggressive as some of Carcass's earlier works yet it still sticks out as an incredible album. It's evident that their songwriting has evolved a lot since their previous albums. The songs are much longer and more developed than in their previous two albums. This does not take anything from them though. I believe that it makes the songs a lot better. Of particular mention are the guitar solo's They are constantly incredible sounding both technically and melodically. The album, Necrotism: Descanting the Insalubrious is Carcass's third full-length album. It was released originally in 1991 on Earache Records. Most of the songs on the album deal with gory and strange ways of dosposing with dead bodies for example, the song Inpropagation is about fertalising soil with human remains. The style of music is more death metal style than before. The grindcore style still remains although it is less apparent than on their previous albums. There is also a lot more technical ability on display than other albums.

The lyrics in the album are very intelligent. Intelligent to the point where they're head-wrecking. The band themselves are very intelligent people and take pleasure in flaunting this in front of their listeners. There is also a strong sense of humour hidden throughout the lyrics of each song. But you may need a dictionary beside you when figuring them out. This also. Their lyrics are brutal and gory throughout the duration of the album and fit perfectly with the music which is equally brutal and violent sounding. There is no real singing in the album. Instead the lyrics are growled and screamed aggressively but still manage to bring a lot to the music. They really suit the kind of music that they're playing. Of course, some people may not find this particularly enjoyable but to fans of this style of music it will not disappoint!

Of all their albums I personally think this is one of the best if not the very best album that Carcass have made. It's very aggressive throughout yet it may disappoint fans that got into them through their earlier works as it does not have the same bloodthirsty anger. Also listeners who got into the band through their later stuff will be surprised as it is a lot less accessible than their later stuff. The lyrics are much more complex and the songs are very long. I also think that it stands tall among all of the other death metal releases from that preiod right up to now. In my opinion the most impressive song on the album is Symposium of Sickness. It is surprisingly melodic while still being incredibly heavy. It also contains some of the most incredible sounding guitar solo's that I have ever heard. What I really love about the album is how everything fit's together so well. Everything has a very proffessional sound and the band lock together very tightly. Also of particular mention is the drumming which is constantly brilliant and lays very solid foundations for the rest of the instruments. Also just to mention again that the lead guitar work is consistently spectacular. There is very few things on the album that I disliked although I would mention again that if you're not a fan of growly vocals you will most probably not enjoy this too much. Also the lyrics are probably not for everyone as they are quite gory and hard enough to understand. If it were stolen or lost I would certainly buy this album again. It's one of the most enjoyable death metal records to listen to and although it's quite aggressive at times it is melodic enough so that it can be listened to at any time. It's definitely an essential album for any fans of death metal or other forms of extreme metal.

BrianDeuel
    This album was recorded at a time when the band felt that grindcore and death metal was over-saturated and dying. If you look at some of the bands that showed up at that time, and the fact that there is a ceiling to what a death metal band could sell and their exposure, you'd see that they were probably right. The one thing that I really appreciate about Carcass is their willingness to ignore the genre elites and do what they wanted musically. Albums like Necroticism and Heartwork bear this out. The addition of Michael Amott, and the chemistry and riffs that he added to the band, make this an almost perfect album. I still think Heartwork is their finest musical moment, but this album is a very close second.