Guitar Heaven review by Santana

• Released: Sep 21, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Santana: Guitar Heaven

Well, where do I start, I was looking forward to hear this CD, when I heard Santana + Classics = EPIC, or so I thought... I started the CD and I hear Whole Lotta Love, pretty good job, I wasn't impressed though, I had high hopes about this one, and Chris Cornell was good, after that one I can say it was a downward spiral... I wasn't surprised by Can't you hear me knocking(Scott Weiland) and my opinion lowered a bit. Sunshine of your love wasn't bad, I jumped right to back in black, and then... My jaw dropped... It was supposed to be a tribute to Bon Scott, well I can say it woke up Bon just to kill him again(yes it was that bad...), I can't describe it, I totally fell down to the florr with this song, I bet Angus would kick santana's ass for picking Nas to sing... Then, riders on the storm, one phrase: Jim is Rolling around on his grave... Really... I hate it, Chester Bennington? Kill me now please... Smoke on the water, too much guitar, yeah, its Santana, but Blackmore wrote it simple and awesome, lets keep it that way, the voice kinda let me down too... I jumped straight away to little wing, it was a mood riser, I think this and whole lotta love, are the good highlights of this album(being Back in black and riders on the storm the bad highlights), I congratulate both Joe Cocker and Chris Cornell, for being great(if you even think I need to say a word about it). Under the bridge, at first I didn't identified it, I mean I knew the name, but the beginning is so different, but I realized it was the RHCP song like I thought, its a good one though, another good one. I'm not going to review any other song in the album, because(your gonna judge me for this) I don't know them, and I can't give a fair review of a cover without knowing the original. My advice: Piracy is illegal and I don't support it, but don't buy the CD without downloading it, or at least search the songs on youtube, I guess you gotta have a very particular taste to enjoy that, Don't get me wrong, I think Santana did a pretty good job on the guitar, but it was just a poor choice of singers, you can talk all the s*it you want about Slash's album(witch I think is awesome) but, he matched perfectly the song with the singer, I know it might not be fair because this was a cover, and I had this pre-concieved idea of the songs, but it is really poor in the singer/song choice. I would give it a good rating for the guitar job, but I wont because of what I said before.

I don't think I should write a lot about the lyrics, since it is a cover album, so I wont do it. Some are good, some are bad, personal opinion, i would give mine on the band's original album, but not this one. I'm not gonna evaluate the singers for the same reason, they all have proven themselves, doing what they are good at, I don't think the singers are bad, I just think there was a poor match, and I'm not gonna talk thrash about the singers nor the lyrics, because someone made poor matches.

It obviously compares to other albums/artists, its a cover album, my opinion, way worst than any of the originals. Most impressive songs: Little wing and Whole Lotta Love(and I guess sunshine of your love and smoke on the water aren't that bad) for positive impression. Back in Black and Riders on The Storm for negative impression, and really negative, if this was temperature, those songs weren't Fahrenheit or Celsius, they would be Kelvin...(sorry for the science joke xD) I love the guitar parts by Santana (I'm not gonna talk about the riffs because those were already awesome)except maybe smoke on the water. I hate the poor choice of singers, or better, the bad singer with song match, much better singers could've been chosen(in exception of Whole lotta love and little wing). My advice, don't buy it before you hear it, it is impossible for someone to stole mine since I downloaded it, and if you ask me, I'm glad I did it, but if I bought it and it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again. But again, I'm just a 16 year old beginner guitar player who enjoys the classics, so if you want a good review, listen to it and make your own review, I would like to hear other opinions. This was my first review, and I did it because I thought I should say what I think about this, and also because there was no review for this album. To finish this, I'm sorry if I made any mistake, but English is not my native language. Best Wishes and Keep on Rockin Antero Duarte AKA tntero

Engel22
    I will say that Back In Black isn't best, rap isn't my thing, but the instrumental area of the song is sound and that's the only poor track in my opinion.
    Jon777
    I think you're being a bit harsh. I liked the majority of the album.
    -Rodion-
    Surveyor
    Not that I'm making any insinuations, but why was the decision made to close out this record- one filled with "guitar classics" from bands like the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen, with the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
    PIMO
    all im gonna complain about is Nas on the album -_- totally should have NOT gone with that but hey he's the artist and its his cover album so i guess let him have his way. Under The Bridge completely caught me off guard, i gave each track a skim of 15 seconds at first and didnt catch it lol i flipped a shit when i heard the first lyrics on the full playthrough
    MusicinationX
    Really what this album missed was that Santana latino spice, I think that was what fired me up about the album, hearing more latin versions of all this classics. He kinda did it in "Sunshine of your love". Good review man, I suggest you keep up the reviews, I like your writing style.
    Metallica>Life
    I agree that covers should be unique to each artist but..... Jake Shimabukuro's "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" still kicks Santana's a$s
    Metallica>Life
    I agree that covers should be unique to each artist but..... Jake Shimabukuro's "While my Guitar Gently Weeps still" kicks Santana's a$s
    tntero
    T7E wrote: BON SCOTT DID NOT KILL HIMSELF...HE CHOKED TO DEATH ON HIS OWN VOMIT. IGNORANT FUCKER
    hey dude, go read it again, because i never said that, i know how he died, and i know that theory, but i also know others, but thats not the point, you should learn how to read properly, and then tell me who is the ignorant ****er... alright?!?
    T7E
    JMan513
    I got this album the first day it came out and personally i love all the songs on it except for Back in Black. Under the Bridge and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are probably the best songs on the album and were done amazingly. The only song i was disappointed in was Whole Lotta Love. I mean its Led Zeppelin and its got Santana and Chris Cornell but personally it didnt sound like something that Chris Cornell shouldve sang, i dont mean it wasnt good just that his vocals didnt sound right to me.
    everjump
    Back In Black was the one song I was very interested in, because Santana is taking a rock classic in hip-hop direction. Yeah, Santana has done his homework, but... honestly, Nas is horrible... really horrible. As for the reviewer, I must agree with Rodion.
    syngates07
    ndrummerc wrote: tntero wrote: elcapitan1800 wrote: Thanks for the review. Personally I have always loved Santana collaborations, and so far I am enjoying this, though I havent made it through the whole cd yet. I just want to say though, if you "enjoy the classics" but dont know the songs While My Guitar Gently Weeps (by THE BEATLES) and Bang A Gong (by T-Rex), you have some homework to do!!! yeah, i do think i need to do my homework, but hey, im 16 and im not listening to justin "gay" bieber, you should be applauding! Don't be that guy.If we all just ignore him entirely, don't even make fun of him, he will eventually fade away like the rest.
    This. I give him credit for writing his own stuff, and actually being fairly talented musically. Just ignore him. Now onto the album, I'm gonna hae to say I disagree with the review on just about every level. I thought the album was very well done. I think While My Guitar Gently Weeps was extremely well done, and Yo Yo Ma's contribution was great, as well as Under the Bridge. Also, say what you want, but I enjoyed this version of Back in Black more than the original. Nas was an interesting choice, and he fit well in my opinion. And Janelle Monae is one of the most promising singers on the scene today. I think people should give the album a listen, and remember that buying a cover album, only to hear the songs done exactly the same, is a waste of money.
    ndrummerc
    pwninator123
    Does the reviewer not know that Chester Bennington is actually a supremely talented singer? This is the man who did a very successful and well-received cover of Whole Lotta Love...
    savolic
    Oujou wrote: There is nothing original about these covers. Santana took classic guitar songs and put them with a Latin rhythm section. Then proceeded to wank. I'm glad I didn't even pirate this, it'd be a waste of diskspace.
    +1, he might as well have put on a drum machine set to latin beat and then just soloed over the originals, at least you wouldn't have had some truly awful vocal covers as well. Could he have made a worse choice of singer for riders on the storm? Bennington just sounds uncomfortable trying to sing that.
    Oujou
    tntero
    jonpinkerton wrote: "...enjoys the classics" And you don't know "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" "Band a Gong" or Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away"??? CCR's "Fortunate Son"? Every one of these songs are considered classics. Eddie Van Halen said, "whenever you do a cover tune, i don't think you should do it like the original" and "I don't think any cover tune we've ever done has been like the original." No one would want to hear an album of covers that sound just like the originals, it would just be a compilation album, a greatest hits, not a cover CD from established musicians. That said, I definitely like some of the originals a lot more, but some of these covers have a good spin on them. That also said, sometimes I feel Santana gets carried away, but thats his style, and you know he enjoyed playing these. The singers werent always the best choice, but so be it, get over it. It's not a bad album, its just a different spin,
    youre right, it doesnt have to be like the original, i like alot of covers,for example You really got me by Van Halen is in my mind right now, but when you cover these classics you have to know people will create high expectations around it, and if you dont make good justice to what people expect, you'll end up with people saying its a bad album, im just saying, you want to cover, do it, just do it properly, or else be ready for the bad comments...
    thejester
    -Rodion- wrote: Really biased and close-minded review. The idea is not to take original songs and play them exactly as they were played. The idea is to play the old classics in a completely different way, and Santana did it great. It's obvious you have little experience with music and that you have a lot to learn, hear and read. IMO the album is quite good and does exactly what it was supposed to do. Try to be a little more open minded for different things...
    I dont think his review is biased at all. It is HIS review and HIS take on it. I enjoyed the read. It didnt meet HIS expectations. I have just been opposed to covering historic songs, people want to hear the originals, not necessarily how you can alter it. Once again that is my opinion. Very rarely do I see a cover that I say wow, that was better than the original. The last one that comes to mind where I was really impressed was Little Wing as covered by SRV.
    jonpinkerton
    Engel22
    Santana's idea (As mentioned above) was to do the songs in the style that he created, and he's done a great job. I'd rather see this advertised on TV over the same pop rock shite anyday.
    androidred0100
    Well, I read the review and was thoroughly displeased with it so I gave the album a listening for myself and now I'm even more disappointed to have to say that I kind of agree with most of it. IN MY OPINION a good cover keeps the spirit and essence of the original while putting a new spin on it/ making it your own and most of these songs just take it either a little to far or not far enough. Whole Lotta Love, Dancing the Night Away, Little Wing, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are great tributes, but everything else just kind of feels half assed. You can tell Carlos had a ball making it, but I got the feeling that he got carried away jamming rather than playing to serve the song. As far as the lack-luster vocals are concerned, with the exception of Nas, I feel that the artists were all fairly good choices but they weren't pushed enough to give more emotional performances. Half the album was good, half the album was a well intentioned fumble and Back in Black was a blatant **** up.
    jm911
    thanks for the review. i was waiting for some opinions on the album before buying it.
    elcapitan1800
    Oh and while you are at it, if you have any interest in the blues, I Aint Superstitious is by Howlin Wolf, one of the best Chicago Blues players, and definitely worth checking out
    elcapitan1800
    Thanks for the review. Personally I have always loved Santana collaborations, and so far I am enjoying this, though I havent made it through the whole cd yet. I just want to say though, if you "enjoy the classics" but dont know the songs While My Guitar Gently Weeps (by THE BEATLES ) and Bang A Gong (by T-Rex), you have some homework to do!!!
    LiamBrett
    i love this whole album especially sunshine of your love, fortunate son, while my guitar gently weeps, smoke on the water, i ain't superstitious and bang a gong. the only one that could be better is back in black