Shaman review by Carlos Santana

• Released: Oct 22, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Carlos Santana: Shaman

As it's predecessor "Supernatural", this album features several artists, and because of that, several styles and rythms. So, this album must be regarded according to 2 categories: a) Santana band songs. - There are five in this CD: "Adouma", "Foo-Foo", "Aye, aye, aye", "Victory is won" and "Let me love you tonight" and the sound of some of this songs is a shame. I'm sad to say this because I'm one of the greatest fans of Santana in this little planet called Earth, but it's the truth. Songs like "Foo-Foo" or "Aye, aye, aye" are an insult for fans. The sound of actual Santana band needs to be refreshed, needs to born again. b) Featured artists songs. - For me, there are only five good songs of this ones: "The Game of Love" (actually, the best of the whole CD), "You are my kind", "Feels like fire", "Why don't you and I" and "Novus". The sound of this five songs is great, because they cover several styles and rythms, from pop to rock, from hip-hop to instrumental. The other songs in this categorie are crap.

Except for "Foo-Foo", "Hoy es adis", "Amor", "Sideways" and "One of these days", the lyrics in this album are "so-so". They fit very well with the music, especially in songs like "The Game of Love" or "Feels like Fire", but they are surpassed by music. In this album, music is much more expressive than lyrics, something that carachterizes all Santana music.

Compared to last album (Supernatural), Shaman sucks. Except for "The Game of Love", "Feels like Fire", "Why don't you and I", "Novus", "You are my kind" and "Victory is won", the other tracks are just crap. Except for the artists who appear in the songs I mention above, the other ones don't deserve to be featured in an Santana album. I don't know what Carlos wants when he invites this kind of "stars". I think Carlos should quit this "featured Stars" stuff, and focus on the Santana Band.Personally, I was waiting a long time for this album, and once I got it, it really disappointed me. It was a luck that I bought the pirate version, because I only spent $1.5, instead $19.So, if you are thinking of buying this CD, don't waste your money; you better download the good songs I've mentioned from the web, or buy a pirate version as I did.