The More You Suffer Review

9.3
 8.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The More You Suffer Reviewed by: RosetaStoned351, on august 27, 2015

Sound: The fourth album by Swedish death thrash band Carnal Forge is their greatest effort to date and must have for fans of the genre. Their sound could be described as very fast melodic death metal without most the melodic stuff. Jari & Petri Kuusisto's riffs remind me a lot of Slayer and The Haunted, and a bit of Carcass and Lamb Of God. The drumming by Stefan Westerberg is very fast and aggressive, but not as monotone as on the previous albums; "Who's Gonna Burn," "Firedemon" and "Please... Die!"

The previous albums had the speed and the aggression, but lacked a lot in the songwriting, diversity and memorable songs department. All those things are present on "The More You Suffer" and the riffs are phenomenal. This is also the first album to feature some guitar solos, and they're bit more melodic that you would think. The production is solid, with a great drum and guitar sound, but Lars Lindén's bass is a bit low in the mix and should've been more audible. // 10

Lyrics: The band was fronted by Jonas Kjellgren (mostly famous for being the guitarist and co-founder of Scar Symmetry) until he left the band in 2005, and his vocal performance on this record is awesome. He's got some really nice screaming and growling going on, and his lyrics are brutal:

"Facing the great black sky, drowning in my worst nightmare, hole-filled heart traumatized by the fear of my own existence. Man no longer needed, millions of years have gone to waste, it's only a matter of days, then we will all be erased."

"You had it coming, now your time is out. You've got a knife in your throat, and a nail through your spine. Pure f*cking pleasure as I remove your face. No rush job of torture, just maximum pain."

The only complaint I can think of is that his performance is even better on the next album; "Aren't You Dead Yet?," which was his last album as a vocalist. He's currently the bassplayer of Raubtier. // 9

Overall Impression: The riffs are really what makes this album so good, song like "H.B.F. Suicide" and "My Bloody Rampage" are just one crushing riff after another, and the main riff in "Ripped & Torn" is one of those riffs that other guitarists wish that they wrote. The same thing can be said about one of the riffs in "Let Me Bleed." My favorite drumming is found on the tracks "Cursed" and "Deathblow."

"Baptized in Fire" starts with a really sick scream and is definitely the darkest track on the album, but the best track on the album has to be "Deep Rivers of Blood"; a mid-paced and surprisingly melodic song, with two guitar solos and more awesome riffs. The other strongest tracks on record are "H.B.F. Suicide," "Deathblow," "Ripped & Torn," "Destroy Life" and "My Bloody Rampage." // 9

Comments