Dead in My Arms review by Carnifex

• Released: Sep 4, 2007
Carnifex: Dead in My Arms

Here we are, Carnifex's debut album. To start off, I'd like to say my opinion on most modern Deathcore is that it tries to hard to meld Hardcore and Death Metal and it comes out merely tolerable and minimally enjoyable. But this album, and Carnifex's other works (to a lesser degree), blend the two nicely. A good, flowing, Deathcore album. I think the guitar work by Corey Arford is more on the Core side, but impeccable non-the-less. Very well done. As for Shawn Cameron's drumming, nothing to amazing, but not mediocre in the slightest.

The lyrics on this record got me. They're very abrasive; utilizing short, quick sentences and phrases. But upon inspection, they have good meaning. But, it isn't lost in the true Deathcore sound. As for the vocals, very typical on some tracks like "These Thoughts Became Cages", but very atypical on some such as "Hope Dies With A Decadent". Diversity at it's finest, when it comes to Lewis.

Overall, even while I always find myself enjoying tracks from the next two releases, I'll never like them more than anything from this album. I think it has the most effort on it, "The Diseased And The Poisoned" and "Hell Chose Me" are somewhat lack-luster. But this is the only Carnifex album I would pay full price for and get my money's worth. A very formidable and enjoyable piece of work from my favorite Deathcore band.

sslater24
    I'm not a metal guy, but I'm buying this album just so I can have it in my library for the next chill sesh
    krvolok
    Well this takes me back four long years,I mean the first line of "Lyrics and Singing" screams Carnifex.
    LordEarthworm
    all you're saying is that you like it, not WHY you like it. ugh. you're putting down all other deathcore right from the start with your really pretentious language, then continuing on to say things like the drumming is nothing too amazing but not mediocre in the slightest. i still know nothing about this album after reading your review.