Hell Chose Me review by Carnifex

• Released: Feb 16, 2010
Carnifex: Hell Chose Me

Carnifex are a Deathcore band from San Diego, California America that formed in 2005 and "Hell Chose Me" is the bands third album offering released feb 16th 2010 through Victory Records. There are 10 tracks and they are Hellishly Titled: 01. Hell Chose Me 02. Dead Archetype 03. Entombed Monarch 04. Names Mean Nothing 05. Heartless 06. Sorrowspell 07. The Scope Of Obsession 08. By Darkness Enslaved 09. The Liar's Funeral 10. Genocide Initiative The Line Up On This Record: Scott Lewis - Vocals Fred Calderon - Bass Cory Arford - Guitar Ryan Gudmunds - Guitar Shawn Cameron - Drums I'll be honest I've never really been a fan of Carnifex upon hearing the bands previous effort "The Diseased and the Poisoned" album I just thought it sounded dull and repeative, and just didn't really go anywhere with me that was until now hearing "Hell Chose Me". I'm much more of a fan of Death Metal bands like Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Dying Fetus and Aborted. Much more than alot of Deathcore bands such as Suicide Silence and Bleed From Within. But I'm not here to argue which genre is better their both great genres in their own rights. I'm simply here just to write how much of an improvement Carnifex have made. As the reason why I mentioned those Death Metal bands was because Carnifex have slowly but surely crept more into the realms of death metal on this most recent and exciting effort. The band still utilizes breakdowns along with ear pierching pinch harmonics which is still very Death metal I mean look at bands like Suffocation, Dying Fetus and Aborted they are Very much pure death metal and have Breakdowns in their music. The guitars have much more of a personality of this one than on their previous efforts, the drums are blasting alot more on this one, the bass... well haha, the bass must be doing something right? I think its good that the bass doesnt use distortion, though then it could probably cut through the mix and kinda clash with the guitars. The production on this album is superb, you can hear all instruments well, nothing really is louder, there all at a level mix. The musicianship is great also it has seemed to improve to a new level where it just all flows together like an everflowing stream.

The vocals are probably the some of the most awesome I've heard within Deathcore. They do a lot of over dubbing with the screaming and growling vocals which Is something I've always quite liked. Similar to what Deicide do, not vocally but the same kind of style in which they present it. The lyrics on this one seem to be more along the lines with Hatred, Death, Hell (haha of course),Blasphemy, Pain, Damnation, Suffering that kind of thing. Here are some lyrics from "Entombed Monarch" "I Am Bred To Be Broken, Crush Your Bones And Leave You Choking. I Rose From The Dead To Make Sure Angels Never Sing Again. I Won't Stop Till These Mountians Move. I May Not Kill You But You'll Die From The Wounds. Forty Days And Unholy Nights My Reign Of Terror Only Matches My Might" The lyrics on this album are pretty awesome, I recommend to read along to them with the songs there quite interesting and there not boring at all.

Hell Chose Me is a respectable and stable effort by Carnifex. Its not like their breaking any new ground or its the first of its own to be done but its a nice effort. It defintly went past my expectations and I'm glad it did, I like it when bands go past my expectations and kinda make me go why? Did I think that in the first place? This band is pretty awesome! Worth a check out if you're into Deathcore/Death Metal music or just any type of music and wanting to explore into different realms. Standout Tracks: Entombed Monarch, Heartless, Hell Chose Me and By Darkness Enslaved. Thanks for reading, I know I'm probably not the best person to be writting a review for this album, but I gave it a go, Its only my opinion anyway...vist the bands myspace thanks!

Maxhammer343
    I personally love this album. Carnifex have definately stepped up from their previous efforts. Good review.
    BlackSymphony6
    red157 wrote: And I was rejected as a UG reviewer?
    exactly, there are some absolutely shocking reviews posted by members of the team. To be fair, this one is not that bad. I think the rigid formats of the reviews do not help at all. I imagine that its difficult to craft a truly insightful review while having to conform to the 3 section structure.
    crazysam23_Atax
    Amuro Jay
    moomoocons wrote: Nor'Easterbass wrote: ...really?! their best album to date and it gets a 5.8 user rating? wtf is wrong with you ppl?! this album is sick! guitars improved immensely, vox and lyrics got better, and the drumming is better...so... Better than terrible can still be bad... Just saying.
    While this is true, it could also be attributed to kvlt kids trying to hate on these so called "mallcore" bands. Also, it could be other deathcore fans just voting this down because they hate Carnifex and haven't given this album a chance.
    awsomeguitarguy
    duncang m : Decent review, but repeated use of the term 'cookie monster vocals' hardly screams 'extreme metal expert'.
    no actually it does
    moomoocons
    Better than terrible can still be bad... Just saying.
    F8iscruel
    sadly i'm one of those kids, I'm trying to start a metal band right now, and i started on guitar hero, so i hope you weren't being sarcastic. also there were what seemed to be a lot of misspellings in the review, but i wanted to see what the opinion of it was, probably won't check them out, but I'm glad the review helped me figure out how they might sound like, which of all the comparisons i like none. good review.
    Bjorney
    BTBAM is on victory...
    Nor'Easterbass
    TylerAOH&A7X
    FoulIncantation wrote: TylerAOH&A7X wrote: besides, i left out....the biggest difference is that most music out there is meant to be emotional and make you feel good all this shit ever makes you (and me up to about a year ago) is pissed off and the only thing you find good about it is the fact that its "awesome" i mean does this band really please your ears in any way?? other than the fact that youre all just pissed off at someone or something and you need this brutal skilled riffage and speed to take out your teen angst?? seriously, try smoking a bowl every now and then 8D I can see where you are coming from, but personally alot of this music it does very indeed make me feel good, not angry, it a has a peacful feel to it (i know this might sound weird but thats what its like with me) and it does mean a lot to me, anyway i like to listen to everything death,black,Gore,grind,power,thrash,rock,cyber,jazz,everythi ng and thats what i believe is why i dont get bored with one genre because im always changing from one thing to another. and also there are plenty of "metal" bands that range from so many lyrical themes and i think alot are meaningful, just what i dont get is when people who dont like this music come and have a go at it because they're were once into it or were never, im just saying if in the future i happen to start falling away from metal im not gonna go on the computer and write to people saying that they shouldnt listen to this for personal reasons, because i just dont see the point in that because i know if there feeling what im feeling its just having a good time not really worying about what other people are thinking about them, right now i feel happy and if in the future i dont really like this music anymore i wont look back on this part of my life being a complete waste of time and think why? i'll look back and think about all the wonderfull and meaningful times I had. and also i understand what you mean about all the tech stuff but this is only one album, look around in the metal genre and im sure you "will" find a band that you do enjoy.that was just my opinion and i respect yours and hopefully you can respect mine, thank you. listen to fear factory's "resurrection" just one of the so many beautiful, memorable and meanigful metal songs, cheers.
    well, you know as i stand by everything i said, it really was the fact that i posted it at 5am, half-baked haha, just ranting...usually i dont rant about things, and trust me i can think of MANY bands in the metal genre i love and enjoy (Between the Buried & Me, Maudlin of the Well, Opeth, Dream Theater, Pantera etc etc) i just really think this kind of music is made because people are showcasing their talent and abilities to be brutal and technical, and not much more idunno, maybe i see it differently than most people do, and the people around me are no help haha, but maybe not EVERYONE is into this for the same reasons, i just know when i was, it was an angry phase where anything fast-pased, aggressive and technical as shit where you felt like you could literally be ripping off some *****s face, appealed to me, and nothing else, NOTHING else did...everything else in my old opinion, kinda "sucked" and right now, since im out of high school and i realize that 90% of high school mind analogies absolutely do not matter and change for the better the minute you adapt to "not-high school" haha, im more tolerant to everything, and less tolerant to metal in general but i still do stand by what i say when i say metal is so much like the horror movie genre, because not only is the thematic material similar, but the kind of fans are similar, people tend to flock towards one band/movie and consider it a cult classic, say Slayer and Texas Chainsaw Massacre...but THEN you got the remakes and the bands that sound exactly like it, with slight (never very significant) differences and btw, i own Resurrection by Fear Factory and i love it, its one of the most melodic "heavy" albums i have and there are few bands that help me daily restore faith in metal, and they are one of em, but say bands like Opeth and their amazing songwriting capabilities and their incorporation of such soothing, relaxing acoustics in their music, and there you go, GREAT STORYTELLING!! CONTRAST!!!! CONFLICT!!!! i love music that changes, i dont really enjoy music that stays the same
    Legendaryhero7
    gibber19
    thecheat3224
    This album really surprised me. I really didn't like their last album, but this blew me away.
    BlackSymphony6
    Bjorney wrote: BlackSymphony6 wrote: also, this came out on victory? I had no idea they had any even remotely worthwhile bands on their roster anymore. BTBAM is on victory...
    touche. Great band that. I stand corrected.
    FoulIncantation
    TylerAOH&A7X
    BlackSymphony6 wrote: TylerAOH&A7X wrote: as well as Textures Textures are on Nuclear Blast. Good band anyway.
    really?!?! when was this??? last time i checked they were on Victory, at least for their first 2 albums, and thats how i heard of them in the first place, sharing the label with my fave band BtB&M
    the_burning_one
    Horribad wrote: metalcore = "My gf broke up with me. And then i died. And then she died. And then.. OHH A TOE-TAPPIN KNEE-SLAPPIN GUT-BUSTIN BREAKDOWN x10 . Deathcore = "My gf broke up with me. Then i shot her in the breast and ate her arms. And then.. OHH A TOE-TAPPIN KNEE-SLAPPIN GUT-BUSTIN BREAKDOWN x10
    Let me try some. Black metal: "Christian death! Kill jesus!" Death metal: "Terms you learn in med-school! Kill jesus!" Every genre has a stupid stereo-type For the record I love black-death metal.
    DudE132
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Cerelil wrote: Deathcore will die and be replaced by a new mallcore fad for brootal kids. Or on a brighter note, the kids who got into old school metal via guitar hero will become adults and make bands... Yes. All these stupid core genres are crap. I'll be glad when we quit hearing about all the bullshit and get back to hearing ONLY about real Metal.
    That is never going to happen you pathetic piece of ****. These ***** true metal fans are some of the dumbest human beings on this planet. Deathcore is here to stay and unfortunately, pathetic lifeless losers like yourself will always be here to complain.
    Horribad
    TylerAOH&A7X
    ThatWouldBeJon wrote: TylerAOH&A7X wrote: ThatWouldBeJon wrote: Nor'Easterbass wrote: chelsea grin doesn't ahve the guitar talent these guys have and ABRB neither...lol i hope your kidding.... i hope YOURE kidding, seriously As Blood Runs Black has only the talent of speed and brutality...anything else?? melodic purposes?? isnt that what MUSIC is all about?? man people tend to think that rhythm makes a song "classic" or "great" when in fact you can only use a rhythm oh so many times before you have to start doing something else, like polymeters and shit....i mean, essentially its the same as if music became this whole big system where people wrote variations and harmonies over ONE melody i just wish someone out there could see music like i do, then we could just collaborate and make something totally revolutionary do i smell a carni fan-boy? =P
    you probably do, seeing that your heads so far up your ass, thats the only thing you smell
    ThatWouldBeJon
    do i smell a carni fan-boy? =P
    turbo474
    gibber19 wrote: runx2xthehills wrote: devinpalacios wrote: Carnifex is latin, and it literally translates to "Meatifier". But good band anyways. Actually it means executioner. Good band and awesome live. Literal translations are different than meanings. Me gusta la musica(spanish) translates: Me pleasing the music. But it means I like music.
    Me pleasing the music?! Haha. Me gusta la musica (abbreviated from the redundant "A m me gusta la musica" or "to me the music is pleasing to me") really means "Music is pleasing to me." Nice try though.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    i hope your kidding....
    gomas92
    Legendaryhero7 wrote: when will black-death-brootal-evil-core-metal happen so it destroys itself and all these genras with it?
    You make me sick.
    deafening
    EpiExplorer wrote: I'm gonna say it. Sounds like any other deathcore band.
    ur really good at saying that eh? i see u practicing all the time..
    aaronofgray
    so, i liked carnifex when they were starting out, they sounded pretty original, pretty good. i liked. now, its the same shit as every-****ing-body else.
    TylerAOH&A7X
    as well as Textures if you havent checked them out, dont hesitate to do so now 8D
    Synyster915
    TylerAOH&A7X wrote: the genre of metal is MUCH like horror movies, and same with metalheads as compared to horror movie fans...they all start out great, and then we all have to rely on remaking the "classics" (which to add the only ounce of variety, there are many different "classics") and changing a detail or 2 of the script to make a new story to put out there, and then you eventually cant do anything else so you have to completely remake the old stuff with new technology see what i mean?? true music is fading, people are blind/deaf to the truth, completely brainwashed in these speed/complexity/technicality/broooootality showcases that literally prove nothing but "who's better" or "what's heavier" and therefore spawned the typical word "suck" in reference to everything else thats just not good enough see what i mean?? i, too was a metalhead, delved DEEEEEP into the confines of deathcore and "goregrind" and "hammerskullshitripyourdickopenandoverloadpeoplewithtonsandt onsofunnecessaryandveryunrealisticshockvalue....core....core " and now i am saying, i really do not enjoy this Death(of all musical value)core genre or anything like it.....(((((*****IN MY OPINION*****)))))
    wat.
    Maxhammer343
    I love this new album. Carnifex have definately stepped up from their previous efforts. Good review!
    shadowsoldier08
    ive only listened to the songs when they had them streaming on their myspace a couple times, and i honestly think it sounds garbage. diseased and poisoned was an amazing album, and im extremely dissapointed to hear them sound so genericly deathcore on this album.
    Alive@myfuneral
    haven't listened to this album all the way through yet but i enjoyed their previous 2 albums so hopefully this is just as good
    grille
    dont like em. but the album art looks like it could come from fallout 3
    barden1069
    duncang wrote: Decent review, but repeated use of the term 'cookie monster vocals' hardly screams 'extreme metal expert'.
    lol my thoughts exactly
    RoxyDub
    EpiExplorer wrote: JHC_DOH wrote: who's morbid angle? That was epiclulz.. totally random. Morbid angle?? 666 degrees!
    Epic.
    EpiExplorer
    JHC_DOH wrote: who's morbid angle?
    That was epiclulz.. totally random. Morbid angle?? 666 degrees!
    Bjorney
    this is the first album by them i've listened to through more than once and i thing its great
    EpiExplorer