The Diseased And The Poisoned review by Carnifex

• Released: Jun 23, 2008
Carnifex: The Diseased And The Poisoned

If there was ever an album that would make the perfect soundtrack to the Halloween movie series, it would have to be Carnifex's latest release The Diseased And The Poisoned, out on Victory Records. Their death metal carnage exhibits the hell-raising growls of Sepultura, the blood-curdling mayhem of Hatebreed, and the maniac scraping and roughly bristled shredding of Machine Head. The music is sure to scare the crap out of you, and infest your earlobes with a chronic buzzing liken to an overly populated beehive. The salvo of drum strikes played by Shawn Cameron tramples savagely over the pounding rounds holstered by bassist Fred Calderon, while brutally cutting into the open sores made by guitarists Ryan Gudmunds and Cory Arford. Lead vocalist Scott Lewis never lets up on the hedonistic growls, the teeth-kicking punches, the ferocious screams, and the pit-bull snarls snaking through the charred channels and cavernous crunching, all amplified to a thunderous pitch and typhoon velocity. Each track is as bestial as the next displaying animalistic chomping, razor-sharp shears, strangulating tugs, bruising slams, acidic foaming, feral scratching, and volcanic scorching that produce massive pandemonium all in the name of making sonic layers that howl in skin-peeling agony. Carnifex make death metal as brutal as their forefathers. The venomous bite and guttural pitch of Lewis vocals is nightmarish and the deluge of demonic strikes and raging shreds are metal edged and purposely packed to bust eardrums. Carnifex capitalize on their ability to create a blood-bath atmosphere with a chainsaw cycling that can tear clear through plates of steel.

Beneath the sonic rampage, the ravenous biting and the earth-shattering grumbles are lyrics that torch the mayhem. Such can be heard in the phrases of In Coalesce With Filth And Faith as the words inflame, This is hate and all the passion that goes with it / This is love and all the sickness I feel because of it / Because of you / I crowned you during death / Adornment of my dying bride / In coalesce with filth and faith / Your salvation deaths embrace. The enraged phrases open up sores and wounds that need to unchain their fury like in the track The Nature Of Depravity as Lewis reflects, The fears of my past are more than real / No script will offer comfort / All I have is the eyes of my nightmares / The beginning of the end is upon me ... I welcome the darkness / I let it in. The words are so honest and release such deep hatred and anger that it shakes the foundation beneath your feet.

Carnifex's words and music are relatable to people with deep emotions. It is for people who feel cornered and trapped and possibly clawing their way out of very abysmal conditions. The music may not appeal to fans of The Jonas Brothers, but it is honest and speaks from a genuine place. Carnifex's words express a legitimate gripe that enhances it's appeal. Deriving their name, Carnifex, from the Old English word for executioner, the band brings to life the death and destruction of the Dark Ages through their crushing strikes and charring shreds. Profoundly, there is a place in modern times that is reminiscent of the Dark Ages, which might explain why death metal bands are experiencing a new awakening. The legends of the Dark Ages are undergoing a new harvest in Carnifex's music, just with a more contemporary thrust being flexed in it beefy fists. You'll need eardrums made of something stronger than steel to withstand Carnifex's carnage.

ThrashUnleashed
    Carnifex is far from original, and definetly a lack-luster band, but I always find my self listening to them and really enjoying it.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    undeaded wrote: Deathcore.... Machine Head. ALotLikeVegas wrote: Dudeman5000 wrote: Please don't compare Machine Head to a ****ing deathcore band. i agree. because machine head suck. bought the album a few days ago, i love it. Yeah Carnifex...So much better than Machine Head. I mean Machine Head released the best album of 2007 and Carnifex... released another copycat-let's-see-how-many-notes-we-can-get-in-with-pro-tool s album.
    +1000
    Nor'Easterbass
    chimecho05 wrote: EPIC FAIL I like their old album better, the breakdowns suck, and the drumming wasn't that pleasing.
    no WAY dude! this album kicks so much more ass than Dead In My Arms. albeit a great album, this was a nice step forward. shitty review tho :/
    chimecho05
    crocoscar
    "Their death metal carnage exhibits the hell-raising growls of Sepultura, the blood-curdling mayhem of Hatebreed, and the maniac scraping and roughly bristled shredding of Machine Head." Comparing death metal with 3 bands which are not death metal. Great job.
    CrunchyMonkey
    Deathcore sounds like skinny, angry teenagers having tantrums. No creativity, just an empty shell with pre-made structures that all you have to do is cut and paste the notes. And the review? What the hell? It sounds like kids screaming "NYAAR I'M.. SO... ANGRY!!!", not, ahem, "blood-bath atmosphere with a chainsaw cycling" whatever the hell that's supposed to be. If you think you like Death Metal, try Hate Eternal, not this distressing horse-shit.
    imnotjohn45
    btw this deathcore thing is getting so trampled. i just downloaded 'lie to my face' by this band and i thought it was mislabeled as a whitechapel song. fail.
    imnotjohn45
    this review aggravates me with the horrible overuse of metaphors or similes or whatever is constantly used. see figure 1 for example. FIGURE 1: Lead vocalist Scott Lewis never lets up on the hedonistic growls, the teeth-kicking punches, the ferocious screams, and the pit-bull snarls snaking through the charred channels and cavernous crunching, all amplified to a thunderous pitch and typhoon velocity. Each track is as bestial as the next displaying animalistic chomping, razor-sharp shears, strangulating tugs, bruising slams, acidic foaming, feral scratching, and volcanic scorching that produce massive pandemonium all in the name of making sonic layers that howl in skin-peeling agony.
    mannofmetal
    first off machine head doesnt suck at all secondly this album is ****ing brutal and i love it XD
    0h The Horror
    Carnifex, grindcore, deathcore, whatever the hell these fags are all calling themselves today. It's all so very bad. Learn to play guitar, learn to sing in a way that's actually pleasing, and maybe grow some balls for extra measure.
    sukflowers399
    "Dave641 : carnifex haha they stole their name from a ****ing warhammer 40K model" Wrong. I got to hang out with them after playing with them. Carnifex is "old english for the executioner". That's what they got it from.
    mikey son
    mister_crowley wrote: Ugh people who don't like Deathcore or even don't like the band. What's the point in commenting an review about them and creating a stupid Machine Head VS Deathcore shitstorm. It barely makes sense. IMO: Machine head do such. Gutteral vocals beat angry rapping.
    because the point of being able to post comments is to our thoughts on the review and machine head isnt going through their nu metal phase anymore so no rapping
    Fourminuseleven
    I was very disappointed with this album. First of all, I like deathcore a lot, but Carnifex is so mediocre and cliche. All of their songs sound very similar. I have both of their albums and the first one is much better. On this one the vocal patterns are terrible, and the drumming is just boring and predictable. The guitars have cleaned up a lot since the first album however. I've seen Carnifex live and they do put on a good show though.
    the_kid_tek
    Hey, deathcore isn't everyone's deal. Personally i love it, i'm sure some people hate it. The fact is, the album is out whether you like it or not.
    mister_crowley
    WeR138
    Evil_Jester_666 wrote: Carnifex is F***in amazing band saw them, Dance Club Massacre, The Demonstration, KillWhitneyDead, 9 yards Of Bullets and a few others a couple days ago, really awesome live bands
    That was a cool show. I caught it in NC. The Demonstration was my favorite, it's who I went to see really. Only stayed for a few Carnifex songs and they sounded good.
    becker009
    the review: way too verbose. the author tried way too hard to make the review interesting with useless casts of imagery. the album: not very good, compared to their demo stuff.
    Evil_Jester_666
    Dave641
    carnifex haha they stole their name from a ****ing warhammer 40K model
    IronMaiden5
    Someone handed me their little sampler disc with other bands on Victory after the Summer Slaughter last night. I couldn't listen to one full song on the whole thing. These guys aren't very good at all.
    xConverge
    the album is mediocre compared to their first, it sounds like practically every other deathcore album. dead in my arms is pretty good though...just avoid this o_O
    undeaded
    Deathcore.... Machine Head.
    ALotLikeVegas
    i agree. because machine head suck. bought the album a few days ago, i love it.