Nothing To Lose review by Carpathian

• Released: May 8, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Carpathian: Nothing To Lose

Who The F--k Taught You Snaps? I saw that title, saw carpathian's name next to it and prepared for a frenzy of breakdowns, crowd cries and big get up lyrics. 2006 offering by Aussie True Blue Hardcore band Carpathian, was over in an instant. They got gigs, with spots next to the primo of hardcore, with what I think was by power of association (Carpathian, Prom Queen, Parkway all started on Resist, played shows together and are the Kings of hardcore in Australia). Most notable association is that of Michael Crafter, former frontman for Prom Queen, now taking vocal duties for Carpathian through their tours, as Matty folds back to the guitar duties.

Lyrically, i've heard discussion of straight edge emphasis being involved, but i'm not one for stereotypes and models in lyrics. Listeners are looking for the points of lyrics. The album as a whole, is also lyrically uninspiring. "How Does It Feel To F@#$ Yourself Up?" is so direct it was funny the first time i listened to it. It's as if Carpathian are addressing the song to a 40 year old Ice addict in a housing commission. Seriously, they don't push the envelope in Snaps. Why is the protagonist (the person this song is directed to) Suddenly f@#$ed up for being starstruck? Also, the directness of lyrics, would of been putting it simple, as connotations and metaphors are just to difficult to contemplate; they neither make sense nor fit into the context of the songs. Take For Instance "End Of The 1980's. "How many people in this world are like me?" From a distance we look much the same. Wondering if cold is the absence of something because. I've felt this forever." It's as though the Singer is adressing the lyrics to himself, but the passage is just too confusing, and the phrasing of this song and other songs, don't fit. It's clear the lyrics have been written, set aside and then screamed to fit the riffing. You can hear it and see it in the lyrics booklet as sentences are broken apart, as if though they want a certain amount of syllables per part. The singer's voice (Matt)is the product of a growing hardcore frontman, damage to his voice through persisiting with screaming using his throat (correct way is through your abs... fat frontmen are screaming wrong) has lead to his instrument being the way it is. The breathing, you can hear though the prasing of sentences is difficult, with little skips for breaths. It's just, I donno what it is but let's say I look for mic grabs during carpathian concerts.

It's obvious Nothing To Lose isn't trying to match Prom Queen's or Parkway's offerings, but trying to appeal to their crowd and hardcore enthusiasts who die and come back from the dead on their hall concert floors and in the pit. But only they challenged themselves, to see past their fans and focus on the music, and make something worthwhile and a lasting album (6 month test, really bored s@#$less), and possibly challenge the frontrunners of Australian Hardcore. This album for me is the artwork. The pictures lack purpose and focus points. Pictures of the band in black and white are in my mind. "Hey, the kids would love this pic man, put it in!" The front cover serves no relevance. And ironically the last picture is the best. If I lost it, I'd be happy with the files on my ipod and wouldn't buy it. I hate it because it's unintelligent, and it feels that it was made with fans in mind, and doesn't branch past them. I Love it only because I can play it loud in my car and normal people will look at me weird. "What is that crap? Turn it Off Dickhead! My Mum makes a better SkitzMix!" Standout tracks are in the sound section. If I had to some it up, I'd get one of those gay stickers with "For fans of:" and put a whole lot of Hardcore bands, because it might as well be the same.

goldenphoenix1
    sorry bout matty marty typo keep getting confused with other bands and names they're hometown is adelaide man so much of the review got cut...pissed me off...the sound section was cut to a history section...dammit anyways the album is really dissapointing after the six month test nothing gets me going saw them recently on a tour next to atreyu i think and 36 crazyfists...they didn't fit. i just hope they make a shredder for the next album, and more dramatic structure with songs, pauses, bends and more slower breakdowns