The Altar And The Door review by Casting Crowns

• Released: Aug 19, 2008
Casting Crowns: The Altar And The Door

The Casting Crowns have a great sound. It's signature, not all Christian Rock, like Skillet, not all Christian Pop, like MercyMe, and not all old praise songs, like many artists in the Christian genre. Instead, they have a variety of DIFFERENT songs that mean more. As far as the band's talent goes, I'll start with the lead singer: He is a great singer, with a lot of energy and dedicated to Jesus Christ. The Pianist/Singer: Great voice and beautiful piano player, multi-talented. The Guitarists: Both of them are good on acoustic and electric guitars, adding a rock energy to the songs, but able to slow it down some, too. The Drummer: good energy and great beat. The Violinist: A good voice in some songs and pretty good on violin, more classical than country fiddle. The Bass: Decent, I like how there isn't too much bass in the songs, but just enough. Overall, I was blown away listening to them the first time; can everyone in the band sing; I didn't know Christian Music could sound so upbeat. Great Band.

The songs are written good, they don't just rhyme but give meaning to the lyrics. The songs are pretty original (East to West, Slow Fade, The Altar and the Door) I like that they are fresh and new, and don't stay on the old-timey Gospel hymn songs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but bands like this help bring the Gospel to a new generation; we need music like this. Overall, on songwriting I give a 6. Plus the fact that EVERYONE in the band can sing at least enough to be backup adds 2. 8 out of 10!

I think this album stands out amoung other artists in the genre as a new movement in Christian music. The old wont get through to the young generation, this music will. It isn't boring, it isn't un-hip, and most importantly in a world of Boom-Boom-Pow, IT IS NOT MEANINGLESSLY. This album is about Jesus, God, and sinners like you and me. Who can't relate to that? This album Rocks, Pops, Teaches, and Changes lives through spreading Christianity. I give it a 9 out of 10, why not a 10, because I'm not a superficial critic, I'm Guitarslinger, and this album ranks as high as I can rank it. Sincerely, guitarslinger

Link12
    Great review man! I saw these guys at Soulfest, they were pretty good.
    Cionnaith MacRi
    As a person who was active in Christian music before it became commercially viable I appreciate your comment. Casting Crowns is a working band that is a real church band rather than something that was built to make music. They were assembled by the Holy Spirit to praise God and He is blessing that effort through the worlds recognition....