Rumor Has It: Astaroth Has Stolen Your Eyes review by Catherine

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
Catherine: Rumor Has It: Astaroth Has Stolen Your Eyes

This CD finds itself in that genre I affectionately refer to as death metalcoremo. It integrates a lot of the good things about death metal, metalcore, and emo (or indie whatever you want to call it). But genres aside, this is an awesome CD. Catherine gave me back something that I really didn't think I'd ever hear again. Breakdowns that aren't completely overdone have a little something more to them than just open-strings, and chugging guitars. While they do have that, there's always a little something extra, a nice riff behind it, a pull-off, hammer-on run, or something. They have pulled off their dual-guitar attack quite well.

Although they have gotten a new vocalist since this record was released. They still sound very good live. Anyway, the old vocalist (who's name I can't quite remember) did bring quite a good range on the CD, not so much a pitch range, but an intensity range. Switching seamlessly from the Emo yell, to the Metalcore scream, down to the Death Metal roar. Lyrical, the album the album has the usual semi-abstract metaphors, with themes that go from the problems of the world, to Myspace (listen to Tom the Overlord), to how some scene kids have adopted the scenier than thou attitude. Songs that stand out lyrically are Tom The Overlord, Is It Tomorrow Yet? and Denigration Makes John Doe Angry, which features the lyric that was stuck in my head for days. I hope one day your scene destroys you.

When I bought this CD, I didn't really have high hopes for it. I hear a lot of people bad mouth any band on Rise Records, but I think some of them are quite good. Such as Drop Dead, Gorgeous and Catherine. Needless to say, this album FAR exceeded my expectations of it. It sat on my shelf for about a month, then I finally decided to listen to the whole thing, and I'm at really glad that I did. It has now come into the regular rotation of CD's that I listen to. With interesting breakdowns, great metalcore riffs, and awesome lyrics, this is altogether a great CD, but it makes me wonder, that with the new singer. Can Catherine come back with a sophomore album that with match or top this one? I'll just have to wait and see. Now the standard: if anyone stole this CD from me, I'd would say shit, and then go order it online again for like 10 bucks.

archangelseren
    this album is great. the guitats sound so good well the notes anyway it mostly works really well. good metalcore effort in my opinion, tracks 5, 6 and 8 are my favourite good stuff. GET IT U METALCORE FANS!!!!!
    xp4nic
    i wanna expand on my comment above, this is my favorite album of all time its more than amazing its "blatantly perfect"
    enjoikav93
    i love this cd. it is absolutely amazing, just everything about it just plain good music. Defiantly their best cd. Sad they broke up. inside/out actually isn't to shabby. RIP