The Anthropocene Extinction review by Cattle Decapitation

• Released: Aug 7, 2015
Cattle Decapitation: The Anthropocene Extinction

"The Anthropocene Extinction." What a name. This is the seventh album by literal human bulldozers Cattle Decapitation, bringing us the much anticipated follow up to 2012's "Monolith of Inhumanity."

Starting off from their prototypical goregrind roots, Cattle Decap's sound has evolved in loads of interesting ways. "The Anthropocene Extinction" continues from where "Monolith" lead off, an album which showed more and more progressive, black metal and atmospheric influences, merged with deft hands to their base sound.

Let's not understate how intense this record is: definitely the fastest, malevolent, hardest hitting album of 2015 so far. Strangely sophisticated guitar patterns interweave with crushing riffs, the sort of low end that often gets buried in this genre but here, brings the intense rumble needed for this sort of weighty barbell of an album. The drumming, courtesy of Dave McGraw, is almost scary in how much power is conveyed from his beats. We're dealing with some of the best in their field, absolutely.

But the album weighs on us conceptually just as it does musically. The extinction part of the title needs the (pardon my language) meat to back it up, and this album really hammers home that feeling in spades, especially from the increased amounts of melodic content that the band have brought in since "Monolith." This is actually an awesome progression to hear for such an upfront band, especially the increased count of Travis Ryan's er, "clean" vocals, which we'll get on to later.

Some choice tracks: "Mammals in Babylon" is one of the defining songs of the this band and album. Based on the sort of chromatic riffing that'd make Ion Dissonance reel, this song is blended with beautifully dark Enslaved-esque tremolo riffs, perfectly balancing the chaotic energy of brutal death metal with the intense catharsis of melody-tinged black metal.

"Clandestine Ways" brings the speed down a little but enters intensely groovy territory, interspersed with apocalyptic bursts of blast beats and polarized slam riffs. Also seems to be the first recorded instance of bass guitar actually sounding good with reverb.

"Apex Blasphemy" will reignite any love for mid-2000's Behemoth, bringing us a very blackened track that flits between said sound and more Enslaved style riffing. Certainly one of the darker and more oppressing tracks on the album, in a good way of course.

Travis Ryan is proving to be a pretty talented bloke, his diverse approach to harsh vocals has always ranged from surprisingly coherent death growls (and the very incoherent burbles) to complimentary (if terrifying) high end screams. But something that he's been bringing more and more of into Cattle Decap is a certain style of clean singing that blends with the melodic tremolo riffing very nicely. One couldn't say it's the most comfortable of things to listen to, but that would seem to be the point: if you are going to be the mouthpiece for the end of the world, nothing better than making it as eviscerating, biting and mournful as possible. Excellent vocal work on all fronts.

Lyrically, a lot of people seem to place emphasis on the bands vegetarian leanings. Let's try and settle this: Cattle Decap aren't the hilariously termed "extremist vegetarians" (as some have decided they are) but a group of individuals who are painfully aware of the problems that arise from our global society of randomly-determined existence. Think of it as "realist misanthropy."

The lyrical theme of "The Anthropocene Extinction" is perhaps the most encompassing one, with multiple songs dealing with various aspects of a semi-hypothetical current extinction event (I say semi, google "holocene extinction" if you're feeling too comfortable with being alive).

What properly makes this album a real experience is just how much it makes you hate yourself. Not in a depressive, simple way (like the snore-fest that is DSBM) but the story is told by an observer from afar explicitly pointing out our collective folly, our falsely-animistic, animalistic, ingrained nature dependent on faulty societal systems (the brutal meat industry, destruction of the global habitat, religious indifference, our lack of self-awareness etc.) and these themes are expressed with such malice, that it isn't hard for one to feel moved in some way.

Strange thing to say about a crazy death metal album, but hey, "Colored Sands" made me cry.

For any fan of extreme metal, give this a whirl. A crushing and inventive assault on the senses, one that crosses genres and influence but still retains identity and clarity of purpose. Prepare for absolute mayhem, be destroyed by absolute finality. Such a dark album, and safe to say, an absolute belter from Cattle Decapitation.

Would recommend on a playlist with Anaal Nathrakh.

Songs to look out for: "Manufactured Extinct," "Plagueborne," "Clandestine Ways," "Mammals in Babylon," "Apex Blasphemy," "Ave Exitum/Pacific Grim."

N-D
    I've always respected Cattle Decapitation for their active attitude to life, global problems etc. - I agree, they're not "extremist vegetarians", they're really individuals with their own point of view. And yes, all of band's members are vegans/vegetarians, but it's not the main thing - I mean that Cattle Decapitation are quite rare example of "clever metal band" - just check their lyrics. And yes, a lot of people know Cattle Decapitation for their "the most gorey and disturbing music video" for "Forced Gender Reassignment" from their previous album - but it's not just mindless brutality - if you will watch the video to the end, you'll realize that it's not that - the final scene reveals the whole meaning. And props to the guys (and an artist) for the meaningful artwork (as always). And yes, the music is pure destructive madness - but it's technical and progressive enough again. P.S. And thanks to Joseph for the review.
    Peres.T.Peanut
    Another masterpiece by these gentlemen. They are slowly becoming one of my favourite bands in the genre.
    sdbrown89
    This album is incredible, I've heard a lot of people moan that the vocal style has made them "sell out" - I hate this term, and I appreciate any band that is prepared to try something new and not play safe all the time. If this is an example of a band selling out, i.e, abandoning their style to make more money, this is the most heavy extreme selling out i'll ever see, make no mistake, this album is as extreme as anything else they've recorded and is utterly fantastic
    keefsy
    Exactly what I was thinking. If this is selling out then ****ed if I know what isn't.
    sewoo55
    They've used the same vocal style on Monolith as well, and I've not heard a single person saying that they've sold out. What are you on about?
    sdbrown89
    Got plenty of mates that don't like the new cleaner vocals, and read some of the comments on their youtube videos/ facebook page/ any metal website reporting any news story about them... just because you've not heard anything doesn't mean people aren't moaning you thick ****
    downstemmed
    Really? "I was slightly disappointed with this album. The lack of "swine" vocals has led me to believe, that Cattle Decapitation has gone mainstream."
    Wildmen
    clean vocals became a very trendy this days, and this isn't something new since Burton C. Bell
    Abacus11
    Looking forward to hearing this later today. I loved Monolith of Inhumanity and "Manufactured Extinct" shows a ton of potential.
    _LoveFuzz_
    You can be metal enough to eat a few plastic caps. Like 1 or 2, perhaps 4 if you spread it out over a week. But no man is metal enough to eat all those caps and survive.What was he thinking? It just seems like a really bad idea, clearly. I think there was a plastic fork in their too. Really dude, you just thought, "oh, I ate all these caps, might as well eat a fork too". I guess it was just "hey guys put your best black shirt on and lets just eat whatever washed up on the beach".
    N-D
    The artwork and the whole idea of pills, plastic forks and other trash in humans' bodies are just an allusion to "consumer society", which leads to "Anthropocene Extinction" - an extinction of humans as a biological species.
    lil_drummer_boy
    The images are also a very clear take on exactly what is happening to wildlife species. Especially birds who eat these caps and die in the same manner as depicted in the images here. Pretty powerful stuff.
    crazysam23_Atax
    "black metal tinged goregrind" What does this even mean?! These terms don't even work together.
    RocknRollRay
    do you mind listing all the members of the band and maybe the producer in the review? because that would be great info to have.