The Harvest Floor review by Cattle Decapitation

• Released: Jan 20, 2009
Cattle Decapitation: The Harvest Floor

This album is epic. The guitar, drums, the vocals, and bass work are all top notch. These guys know how to play they're insturments, and they aren't afraid to show that fact. But not only is the musicianship amazing, but the song writing is top notch. They don't just blast brutal guitars drums and vocals in your face for the whole record, but rather take some time every once and a while and go into a nice almost classic metal riff (regret and the grave's chorus riff) our go into a wierd athmospheric part (the entire title track, the gardeners of eden) and they will sometimes pause just to bring in a riff that's just as heavy if not heavier than the last one. This all makes the album sound way more varied and heavier than it would have with just a straight ahead blast. This is definatley a record worth checking out.

The lyrics are pretty much all typicla death metal gore, but these guys have come up with an interesting take on them, but this is nothing knew to any old cattle d fan.they whole band is vegitarien, so they take what animals will go throguh in a slaughter house our other things of the like and put humans in they're place. I have no idea how they have spread this out over 6 albums, but they seem to do it well. Without a lyric book though, you won't understand a lot of the lyrics, because from vocalist travis ryan does incredibly heavy and brutal vocals. He goes from death grunts to a high black metal shriek (dani filth eat your heart out) with semaingful ease, and he does it all while sounding amazing. His growl is somehat different to my ears than the regular say, canibal corpse vocal. The bes way to describe it is it sounds more "round". He's an amazing vocalist, and you will definatley hear that on this album.

This album is great. There isnt a lot to really hate about it, except for one thing. And that is the beggining of the song "tooth enamel and concrete". They should not have put that sample in. It's like a saw against your brain when you listen to it through headphones. And what really sucks is that the song is so good, so you just have to listen to it! None of the songs are really terrible, although I usually find myself skipping over the ttile track, it's just very atmospheric, and they're isnt a lot going on. But the rest of the album is definatley amazing, so you should go out and buy it. As in now!

djn419
    wait a minute, last time i checked, grindcore was almost as old as my beloved death metal. and what i think the majority of people here are refering to as so-called grindcore is actually deathcore. stuff like Whitechapel, Suicide Silence. those atrocious bands. grindcore originally started out with the likes of Napalm Death. Napalm Death =/= Whitechapel. Grindcore =/= Deathcore.
    RMM82
    I've liked Cattle Decap. since "To Serve Man," but they've never been at the top of my list; until now. "The Harvest Floor" blows away everything else this band has put out. It has the technicality and brutality of their previous albums, but manages to be catchy and more listenable at the same time. Top notch death/grind from these crazy vegans!