Chained To The Nite review by Cauldron

• Released: Apr 6, 2009
Cauldron: Chained To The Nite

Upon hearing this record you may think "Oh yeah! Old school heavy metal is making a comeback!" Well, unfortunately not quite, but this album is certainly a step in that direction. Released in 2009 on Earache records, Cauldron's debut album will make you yearn for the days when Metallica was touring for Kill em All and the NWOBHM burned bright. This album is complete with, head-bang inducing riffs, searing solos, driving drums, and classic but original vocals. If you need convincing, just listen to the driving intro to "Midnite Hour". If you are a real, vintage metalhead who is repulsed by all the "nu-metal", you will find sanctuary within this record.

The lyrics in this album aren't quite as effective as the way they are sung. Jason Decay (lead vocalist and bassist) has a very creepy, but inviting metal voice. Give this guy a few more years development and he will have created an entirely new way to sing metal. Its not quite a growl, its not very operatic. Its still in the works, but still, it works. As for the lyrics themselves, they tie with the music pretty well for a debut album. Parts of the lyrical work could use a bit more development, but seeing as this is the first album, they will get the attention they need.

My band opened for these guys last summer, while they were touring for this record. Their performances are just as good as the album, and they deserve to be recognized. "Conjure The Mass" and "Midnite Hour" are the crowns of this album for me. This band is not very well known yet, and I am hoping this review gets them more attention. There are many kids out there looking for new music like this, and finally here it is. This album proves that good metal is still in existence. I will do whatever it takes to make sure this album is within my collection of music. I must say, that I am looking forward to future releases. Good job guys!

Metallichemical
    Wow. I'm listening to them right now and I must say, just like everybody else, this is great stuff. Hopefully these guys can get the attention they deserve. I love it because it sounds like great old school metal, but it doesn't exactly sound unoriginal. It'll be great to hear some new stuff from these guys!This is probably the best band I've heard yet out of all these new bands with the classic sound.
    henkka_potku
    This is pretty good. I knew of these guys before and was super surprised to see this review on the front page lol
    scawti
    This album surprised me in a good way. Sounds like Dianno era Iron Maiden meets Mercyful Fate. Both versions of Cd covers remind me of something Spinal Tap would do.
    FearOfTheDuck
    guitfiddleRR
    FearOfTheDuck : If you want to sound like the first Iron Maiden and Angel Witch records, fine. But i've already got those records, so what are you giving me. Its like the thrash revival, just so meh.
    It actually has some originality to it. Its not really a full on thrash album, this album is really somewhere in between thrash metal, doom metal, and stoner metal...at least thats how i hear it. Its at least worth a listen. and yes Panasonic3, the guitarist and bassist/vocalist (Ian Chains and Jason DeCay) are awesome. I got to hang out, jam, and drink with them for a whole nite when my band opened for them. We were also with Enforcer and they kicked ass too
    LightxGrenade
    I like this a lot, glad I read this review and discovered this band. Yes it is true that they aren't doing anything ground breaking or revolutionary in their sound but it's just good plain and simple. I don't know what the hell people expect sometimes, if a band has a retro sound then they are just imitators if they have a newer sound then they are not "real" metal and are labeled in the metalcore/deathcore genre.
    ciadude2
    Honestly the vocals aren't bad but they aren't my thing. Love the rest of it though.
    Cerberus7string
    saw these guys when they supported nevermore for a sec i thought i time traveled into a 80's metal concert
    Headcrusher!
    I found the singing on this album was rather deflated, one example is is on Young and Hungry, the chorus sounds not half arsed but very forced. However on the whole the album was great and the singing is only a minor affliction.