Inflikted review by Cavalera Conspiracy

• Released: Mar 24, 2007
Cavalera Conspiracy: Inflikted

It's finally here! The reunion of Max and Iggor Cavalera that Sepultura fans have been waiting for since 1997. Listening to this record certainly takes you back to the glory days of Chaos A.D and Arise, yet there's still the downtuned riffage that Max has been reknowned for. I could even go as far to say that this album sounds like Morbid Vision, albiet with better production. The title track basically sets the pace for the album, it's a fast riffathon with an incredible groove and and catchy as hell chorus, followed by an insane shred solo by Marc Rizzo. Second track and promotional single 'Sanctuary' really starts things up, with no slow intro or build up. It literally just jackhammers you in the face from the start, and Sounds like it could've been stripped straight from Arise. Things start to get slightly death metally from hereon, as 'Terrorize', 'Black Ark' and 'Ultra-Violent' show certain influencees from the likes of Terrorizer, Napalm Death and even Celtic Frost. Take this from me, I cannot put 'Black Ark' into words, it's something you have to listen to to believe. Tracks such as 'Bloodbrawl' really shine through on this album, with incredibly tight playing, catchy hooks, incredible solos and fantastic vocals. The final track 'Must Kill' is quite possibly THE best song Max has ever written, being heavy as sin with such an awesome title and incredible playing from Marc Rizzo once again. The tone on this album is brilliant too, the bass is perfect in the mixes and Iggor Cavalera makes the drums sound like thunder. Max's voice is as violent and brutal as ever, with his gutteral roars being accompanied on 'Black Ark' by his stepson Ritchie. Rex Brown of Down/Pantera fame makes a bass cameo on 'Ultra-Violent' I can't find anything wrong with the overall sound on this album, it's been written, recorded and mixed to absolute perfection.

Lyrics are a tough one on this album, made even tougher by the fact that I don't have the lyrics at hand since the album isn't officially released until March 24th. From what I can gather, 'Inflikted' shows somewhat of an apocalyptic themed song, and 'Must Kill' is self explanatory within itself. I'll probably post another review of this album once I've bought it so I cna go into lyrics a little deeper.

Well I'm astounded. I knew that the Cavalera reunion was going to be good, but I didn't think it would be better tan 'Beneath the Remains' and 'Dark Ages' put together! I can't say anything bad about this album, it's quite simply the album of 2008. Every member plays tighter than any of the material I've heard from their previous bands, every riff and every vocal line is catchy and heavy, and the album is utterly relentless. From start to finish, 'Inflikted' will pummel you with it's mighty brazilian fists of fury, swinging your around by your throat, breaking your teeth on the walls, and it doesn't let you go until you're bleeding and hungering for more.Standout tracks are 'Inflikted', 'Sanctuary', 'Black Ark', 'Bloodbrawl' and best of all, 'Must Kill'. When this album is released, buy it without a second thought. It will be the best purchase you'll make all year.

webbtje
    Congratulations on writing about an album you own illegally. Also, no mention of Joe Duplantier on bass, frontman of Gojira, one of the most inventive and heavy bands in music at the moment? Shame.
    postmortem2006
    Actually i got emailed the album by some mystery man :/ It happened all last year too - I got sent The Blackening, United Abominations, Over the Under, The Last Kind Words and The Art of Partying all from this same email address. I got no idea who it is and they haven't rpelied, yet all the files they sent to me aren't full of viruses or whatever. And I ALWAYS buy the album when its released. I don't screw artists over like some people do.
    postmortem2006
    OH and webbtje, I care very little for Gojira because they don't really appeal to me, and I don't know much about 'em so yeha... sorry for the disappointment haha
    postmortem2006
    Its kinda thrash/death metal - imagine Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia and Beneath the remians but played in D and mixed ten thousand times better. Its certainly got an early Sepultura vibe to it. (p.s. I may have been exaggerating slightly when I said it was better than BtR, but its certainly the best work Max has had a hand in since then).
    undeaded
    Good album, lacking lyrically though. Thrash/Death Metal, Wikipedia had it as thrashcore, which was bullcrap.
    postmortem2006
    I know, UG seem to have trouble finding the right info for albums - I did 4 Vio-lence reviews and they put incorrect covers and dates on two of the albums :/