Celldweller review by Celldweller

• Released: Feb 11, 2003
Celldweller: Celldweller

The sound of this album ranges from industrial rock (Songs like "Switchback") to almost techno ("The Last Firstborn" comes to mind here). It has a Nine Inch Nails-esque sound to it, except the music has less distortion and sounds fuller to me. It also seems like Klayton, the vocalist and producer, was a perfectionist when it came to the production of the songs.

The lyrics are for the most part very good. There are a few songs where the first verse and the second are the same, but that is for me forgivable as long as it doesn't happen in every song. Since I've already compared the album to Nine Inch Nails' work (as they really do sound similar), I might as well mention that Klayton has a better vocal quality than Trent Reznor (Trent's voice was very scratchy-sounding to me during NIN's first albums). The only problem in that department is that in some songs Klayton over-processed his voice, giving it a deliberately electronic sound.

Overall, this album is a very impressive debut from Celldweller. I would, despite some minor flaws, recommend it to any (or at least most) fans of electronic or industrial music. And finally, if I were to lose it or accidentally scratch it, I would probably buy it again. I look forward to their next release.

Necrotic
    if you get bored with it, just go download his remixes, there are hundreds of them. Plus a newer band called Blue Stahli is really good.
    Dalek300
    supermendel wrote: too bad he doesn't release a knew album =[
    He's got his sophomore album in the works at the moment. It's called Wish Upon a Blackstar