Shattered Hopes review by Cessate

• Released: Sep 18, 2005
Cessate: Shattered Hopes

Death metal is the best way to describe the genre, however, it is obvious there are many classical metal influences on the album. One thing that is, in my opinion, exceptional about the band, is their awesome use of harmony between the two guitarists. It is very well written for the guitars. The bass could be more distinct, and, considering how awesome the guitar solos are, it would be nice to have some bass solos in their as well. Drums pound away, the double bass is like a machine gun. As for sound quality, you could not even tell this was done in a home studio, it is very good quality mixing.

Well we have some really brutal growls here. Brutal as in good of course, man the vocalist must be worn out after a concert. Lyrics are typical for death metal, very dark, very much about topics like suicide and death. For the genre they are perfect, although it would be nice to get away from some of the death cliches, but this is what Cessate writes, it's their style. it would also be nice if some of the songs had lighter vocals, something more distinct. However, the vocals fit in perfect with the style of music, who wouldn't expect growls and screams in Death Metal? If there was one thing I could change about the songs is more distinct vocals, because the best songs in my opinion are the ones that you can clearly hear the lyrics.

This was, in fact, my first venture into the genre of death metal. And Cessate, from my home town of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, has me hooked on the genre. I would say that My Right To Die, Baby Shaker, & The Sweet Darkness Of Despair would have to be my favourites off album. As I said above, the only thing I'm not in favour of is the excessive growls, some singing would be nice here and there. One little thing that I think tops off the album is how at the beginning and end of the album there is some old-school techno metal, like the music you hear on those old horror movies. I just think it adds a bit of flavour to the overall album. If this work of art were to be stolen, I would buy it again, but not after slowly killing the bastard who stole it! I support my local music. Overall, this album deserves a ten outta ten, and definitely worth trying out!

bassmonkey16
    this is the wrong cd!!! wtf?? this is a band from my hometown, and its not called Desert of shattered hopes! please fix this! the band info can eb found at www.cessate.net
    Crutchy
    Justin Bender's my guitar teacher. I'm not lying!! I'm also from P.A.