Abominable Anno Domini review by Chakal

Chakal: Abominable Anno Domini

"Abominable Anno Domini" is the first full-length album by Brazilian thrashers Chakal, released in 1987. Chakal was also signed up to the small label Cogumelo Records, just like many other Brazilian metal bands, like Sarcfago, Sepultura and Overdose. Well, despite its thrashing insanity, this album also contains some death metal elements, for sure. This is really crazy. Riffs are just awesome, fast and really heavy. So are the solos. Bass lines are not really outstanding here, but what I like here about it is that it's loud enough to give this record an amazing heaviness. Drumming is also crazy and really aggressive. I really recommend you to check out this album if you like some real good thrash metal and never listened to this. To give you a hint, sometimes this remembers me of Kreator's "Pleasure To Kill", but more thrash metal oriented. This is really awesome.

Lyrics on this album kinda contains some interesting words. "Mr. Jesus Christ" fiercely attacks blind faith and religion, and there's also "Planet Is Dead" and "May Not The Mankind Suffer", criticising corrupt politics and war, respectively. There's also other songs, like "Terminal Brain", "Children Sacrifice" and "Jason Lives", that are pretty much like horror/evil stories. Vladimir Korg's vocals here are really awesome. They're basically death metal growls. It's really low pitched and powerful.

Enough said, this is a thrash metal gem. Like I've said before, be sure to give it a listen if you're a fan of the genre. I would point "May The Mankind Suffer" and its 11 minutes of pure crushing and "Mr. Jesus Christ" as the best songs here on this album, but this album is really awesome at all. I'm just picking these two ones randomly, there's songs like "Terminal Brain" and "Jason Lives" that are just as great as them. Just essential to any metal fan!