Like Trees In November review by Chapter 14

• Released: Nov 30, 2010
Chapter 14: Like Trees In November

Chapter 14 is the resurgence of an old project by vocalist Chad Ackerman (Destroy the Runner, As I Lay Dying, Austrian Death Machine) and multi instrumentalist Tanner Sparks (Destroy the Runner). After work on Destroy the Runner's new album abruptly stopped Sparks and Ackerman decided to go back to Chapter 14. Like Trees in November is their first EP, a self released effort where they go through various styles of rock and metal, in just five songs. From the first track, Winter, where Sparks' heavy riffs and Ackerman's vocals, ranging from high pitch singing to brutal screams, all the way to Moth & Rust, which features Matt Geise from Lower Definition, you get pulled in and you just want to bang your head and sing along Tanner Sparks' keeps impressing on all instruments throughout the EP with a blistering guitar solo in The Wizard of Gods and a superb drum beat in Roses.

The names Chapter 14 and Like Trees in November comes from the book Watership Down by Richard Adams. How so? Well, chapter number 14 in the book is called Like Trees in November. Chad has said in multiple interviews that it's his favourite book and therefore drew much inspiration from it. All lyrics are great and fit perfectly with the music, the only thing I would like to point out would be the chorus of The Wizard of Gods which may come across as a bit too "boybandish", but that's just a matter of taste.

Overall, Like Trees in November is a great EP which I encourage people to pick up and listen to. It's heavy, its melodic and everything you would expect from a modern metal band. Most impressive songs are, in my opinion, Winter and Acts Aside From Action.

zeveron
    I wrote this.. Didn't realize it would let me post without logging in! My bad.
    P3pe
    this EP is amazing in my opinion, but I'm still waiting that there's gonna be a new Destroy the Runner album