Charred Walls Of The Damned review by Charred Walls Of The Damned

• Released: Feb 2, 2010
Charred Walls Of The Damned: Charred Walls Of The Damned

Charred Walls of the Damned features two ex-members of Iced Earth: vocalist Tim Ripper Owens and drummer Richard Christy. So, yes, it is smart to assume that the self-titled debut is thrashy, power metal with lots of guitars and soaring, skyscraping vocal acrobatics. The music is as large and in charge as the band's vivid name! Noted metal producer Jason Suecof plays guitars here, showing off another side of his musical personality, as he fires off galloping guitar parts! He also produced the album, so it has a crispness to it, as well. Steve DiGiorgio, of Sadus and many other metal bands, plays a fretless bass. So there's a lot to talk about with this all-star, thoroughly metal lineup! Charred Walls of the Damned is power-riffic metal that could have been born in the 1980s, on a blanket of Priest/Maiden jacket patches! It's robust, it's well-played and it'll get your blood flowing at dangerous speed! If classics like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden get you going and really, how can you be a self-respecting metalhead if they don't?- then Charred Walls of the Damned is an easy record to like, to bang your head to and to get those fists pumping high over your head. Suecof proves himself an able guitarist and Christy is an apt sklinsman, proving that he is much more than a purveyor of hilarious jokes on the best morning radio show ever known to man! Blood on the Wood is certain to claim status as an anthem; it's under four minutes and makes its points effectively, while Ghost Town is an epic full of riffs so metallic they could fill cavities!

It's Ripper. Need I say more? He's got a set of lungs on him that could wake the dead and capture the attention of even the most disconnected and disinterested in angels in the heavens. While I wasn't the biggest fan of his work in Iced Earth, he certainly fits what Charred Walls of the Damned are doing. There are no trends, no hot right now conventions and no fleeting moments on Charred Walls of the Damned. On Voices Within the Walls, Owens delivers a chorus so catchy, I found myself humming it long after I shut the music off and after I shut my eyes. The album has a positive note to it, as well. Everything about this self-titled efforts projects good vibes. Good metal vibes, that is!

On paper, the experienced metal pedigrees of the individual members of Charred Walls of the Damned are impressive. In theory, there is absolutely no way this project/band/album couldn't sound awesome. And in practice, Charred Walls of the Damned do not disappoint, not one bit. The album is molten metal from back to front and the members have chemistry and have penned seamless songs. It's not too 80s and not too thrashy; in fact, the music manages to be a throwback without sacrificing moments of modernity. Nice work, gents!

Andragon
    Steve DiGiorgio is also better known as the amazing bassist in Control Denied [Schuldiner's last project] along with Christy.
    ReiverOfSouls
    Pretty killer stuff. Glad to see Christie back on the skins again. Hopefully they do a tour and hit Pittsburgh. I'll definitely be there.
    ScalyGuitarrist
    Hey look, it's the Iced Earth rejects! I KID I KID! Tremendous musicians, can't wait to get this. Btw, they forgot that DiGiorgio was in IE as well, he recorded the basslines in Horror Show.
    reignofrock
    Biased and poorly written review. I tried to like Owens in Priest, but let's face it, those 2 albums are forgotten within the Priest discography for a reason. Plus, I couldn't even dig him in Iced Earth. Simply put: he's just not that good. I don't even know why he was ever chosen to replace Halford. Ralf Scheepers sounds waaaaay better than Owens ever could. Owens got one lucky break and somehow still manages to get work; it's sad.
    Spine V.
    I don't like Owens vocals in Judas Priest nor Iced Earth, but in this band he fits perfectly, great lineup from vocals to drums...and their second album Cold Winds On Timeless Days on is good, although not as good as this...
    nyoung_24
    Anyone mention Suecof's tenure, not only as backup guitarist/bassist for Trivium, but their producer on Ember To Inferno as well? Granted the afforementioned disc doesn't sound as great as what everyone wanted, it was well produced by Suecof. I can't wait to pick up this disc and give it a listen after reading this review.