Rockford review by Cheap Trick

• Released: Jun 6, 2006
Cheap Trick: Rockford

Sound ridiculous? Consider that Trick still boasts its signature lin-eup, vocalist Robin Zander, bassist Tom Petersson, drummer Bun E. Carlos and guitarist Rick Nielsen, all of whom still play as well as ever. The band is still together, apparently, because the guys love playing music. They aren't in the game on some never-ending reunion tour, organized with the goal of milking fans for all they're worth. Most significantly, the band has never stopped making good music. There aren't many classic rock acts (defined as bands who achieved huge commercial success prior to 1980) that can claim one of those things, let alone all of them.

"Perfect Stranger," which was produced and co-written by former 4 Non Blonde Linda Perry, is an excellent choice for a first single. It's classic Trick, full of catchy riffs and bubbling with urgency. "If It Takes a Lifetime" is an exquisite piece of finely crafted pop/rock, reminiscent of Jeff Lynne's best tracks with ELO. "Come On Come On Come On" is a driving rocker that would have fit on Trick's classic '77 album, "In Color." If you need a dose of Beatlesque pop, the type that Tears for Fears mined for platinum, you'll definitely find it on "O Claire" and "This Time You Got It."

Forget what you think you know about Cheap Trick. Or, perhaps, try to remember what you used to know. The band proves with "Rockford" that it's one of the finest power-pop/rock outfits in history and, arguably, the greatest classic-rock band in the biz today.

Guitar*Girl
    I absalutly love this band and I'm 15. They are so amazingly talented!!! I have a few of there cd's and I love the rockford one. Amazing riffs. I also saw them on Conan O'Brian, that was amazing. I got a new guitar strap and its a tribute to Rick Nealson, Because Rick always is wearing checkers....I got a black and white checkered guitar strap. He other than Johnny Cash is my guitar hero.
    RasmusLiebst
    wingedgopher wrote: i saw them on conan and they played a song off this record
    O rly?
    Mcut202
    I saw that too it was a good performance. Then they gave Conan that huge framed record cover that had him on it.
    manic
    mrwaterpolo
    gibson08 : I live in Rockford, the town the albums named after (which is also where they are from). Its a great record i think
    you think? Like you don't know or in your opinion?
    wingedgopher
    yeah! it was pretty awesome.