Desolation Of Eden review by Chelsea Grin

• Released: Feb 16, 2010
Chelsea Grin: Desolation Of Eden

Desolation Of Eden is the most recent product of the Salt Lake City, Utah deathcore band Chelsea Grin. Their Previous efforts produced the roughly recorded Chelsea Grin EP (July 27th, 2008) and early tracks of such songs as Recreant, Crewcabanger, and Cheyene Stokes. These days there aren't many standout albums that emerge from the deathcore genre yet Desolation Of Eden can be considered an exception to the rule, with its powerfull harmonys, crushing riffs, dynamic sweeps, and alexs' insane high-low vocal abilities.

The lyrics on Desolation Of Eden are as powerfull as the music with it, and features some pretty well put together lines, one of my favorite being a verse in Recreant where Alex says... I'm f--king sick of all the lies and all the treachery I was always by your side and this is how you repay And after all these years you f--king turned your back on me? I can't believe I ever considered you family I will never forget this knife you placed in my back Recreant... The lyrical subject on Desolation Of Eden can go anywhere from Betrayal, To choosing your own path, And to of course, death. Alex has a voice that suits Chelsea Grin well and is very well capable of doing screaming highs and insane lows.

The overall production of Desolation Of Eden is very well compared to the Chelsea Grin EP and captures the band members abilities just as well. 01. Judgement: although it is a rather weak track in my eyes compared to the rest of the album, it does do the job of preparing you for whats to come. 02. Desolation Of Eden: blending right into the ending of Judgement this particuler track holds its own in capturing the trademark "Chelsea Grin" sound. 03. False Sense Of Sanity: this song didn't especially stand out to me in the first half of it but does it feature a nice groove sounding breakdown in the last minute. 04. Sonnet Of The Wretched: starting with a slow fade-in this track highlights alexs' ability to do incredible lows and write interesting lyrics. 05. Cheyene Stokes: this track, Coming from the Chelsea Grin EP, i somewhat knew what to expect yet was still very impressed with how the guys re-recorded it and kept nearly all the orginal parts with of course the addition of much improved vocals. 06. The Human Condition: right from the start this song will catch your attention and hold it until the end with its tapping melodys, crushing rythm guitar and solid drums. 07. Elysium: at first listen this instrumental caught me completely off guard in that it maintains a brutal structured rythm yet highlights a soft calming lead guitar making this track deffinatly in the top 3 best tracks on the album. 08. Recreant: being another Chelsea Grin EP song I was looking forward to this track the most. although it seems a bit slower than the EP version it sounds 10x better in quality and features a new insanely slow breakdown at the end of the song. if I could describe Chelsea Grin in one song I'd say Recreant would be it. 09. Cast From Perfection: not a big standout on the record compared to some of the other tracks it still packs quite a punch. 10. Revenant: aside from having a similar spelled name to Recreant this track holds its own and shows the talent of alex, jaek, david, dan, andrew, and michael very well. 11. Wasteland: putting a close to the album this track features disembodied voice speaking almost unreconisibly under the roar of the intruments before the song comes to a close. Desolation Of Eden highlights the talents of each band member and is a good step in the right direction for them. One of my only disapointments about the album was that they didn't put the track Crewcabanger (Chelsea Grin EP) on the new record for some reason. And also at times it seemed as if the music was dragging on longer than it should have been but other than that I suggest any Chelsea Grin fan should pick this up.

ArseniK92
    Music is music, and they make the kind of music they want to hear. If that isn't the dream of all musicians, shoot me now. Grow up, go play your lil' Epiphone Explorer.
    yoozum
    I don't think us skeptics will admit that at all
    ThatWouldBeJon
    EpiExplorer wrote: Sam Wotrey wrote: billybusa wrote: "I don't like deathcore so I'm gonna rate it 1" You guys are idiots. Problem is, all Deathcore bands sound the same. As soon as I read the title of this band, the prefix -core definitely sprung to mind. Wonder why. BMTH song called Chelsea grin. I hear it all the time at college, and frankly it needs destroying.
    Human371
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: Umm, the Bring Me The Horizon song is "Chelsea Smile."
    Yep, and its better than this...
    XenititesX
    EpiExplorer wrote: *cough* Everyone knows what it really is: Begins with S, ends in T and it isnt soot.
    slut?
    Human371
    (sorry for double posting) To be fair though, I have heard worse than Chelsea Grin.
    tancanada
    Great album, people need to learn what bad deathcore is cause this certainly isnt it
    Amuro Jay
    This
    ThatWouldBeJon
    EpiExplorer wrote: EpiExplorer likes to search deathcore reviews don't you? ive noticed from this review to the carnifex review and a few others you get your kicks off bashing this genre don't you? looks like somone needs a new occupation huh? Wow, someones really slow arent they? Go cry about your bands somewhere else. I do it partly because someone needs to see the bad side of everything of a story (or in this case, review), and no one on here does that. At least I try to, and if you get offended, then okay, be offended, nothing changes?
    Is the troll upset i caught him? well if thats the case then go listen to your Braindrill and Meshuggah and tell me how much that shit sucks too.
    Sam Wotrey
    Scrubb
    ScorianVaseras
    I can't take any reviewers seriously when they can't spell "harmonies" properly. L2ENGLISH. This album is ****ing terrible.
    dima210
    Deathcore has its great bands just like every other genre has something to offer. Usually you have to dig through a lot of shit to find something good in a genre that is so limited in playing style. There are good deathcore bands eg. Animosity, Through the Eyes of the Dead. But this, no no this is one of the pieces of shit that glimmers atop the pile that covers the gems like Animosity and other good worthwhile deathcore. It gloriously graces the top pile of shit. Chelsea Grin are worse than your average sub-par deathcore band. They fail to provoke anything new and fall short of anything interesting or fun to listen to. They have no originality. For some bands that's not bad and they could fit in with a lot of different bands and still maintain a level of talent of good music. Chelsea grin is neither original nor interesting. Their music is one dimensional and the songwriting is utterly boring and predictable. Whoever wrote this review does not know what they are blabbering on about.
    Abom
    No, other people criticize the review/genre. The difference is that: A. Most of them don't troll one specific genre. B. Most of them give a more in-depth criticism than "This is shit".
    Ender845
    Progis8strings
    Scrubb wrote: Ya know, the term "cookie-cutter" really pisses me off. Look at ALL genres. Most of them are all the same. Everything from 80's hair bands, to all the little nsync boy bands. Every genre is filled with "cookie-cutter" bands, who cares? If you like it, then listen to it, if you don't like it...then DONT F***ING LISTEN TO IT! and stop bad mouthing it just because YOU have a problem with it. Cookie-cutter or not, they are a great band. Deathcore, and all metalcore, need a lot more credit. It may sound like noise to some, but it is very technical. From the guitars to the drums. Even the vocals take skill and technique. Its tough to play this stuff live every night. So please, give credit where credit is due, and stop talking shit on something you dont understand.
    What? My bad on the double post but, what? Metalcore technical? WHAT?! Credit is due to the fact that not everyone can play like many deathcore and metalcore bands. Do not give the genres "technical" as their leading title. There are some standouts that could be defined as technical, Veil of Maya and others; however, technicality is not something to back these genres up with. If that's your main standpoint then you sir need to listen to something that is legitimately technical, i.e. Cynic, Between the Buried and Me, Animals As Leaders, and so forth. As far as bashing goes, I won't. I'm not huge on Deathcore, but so what. People don't have to like all music. Being open-minded doesn't hurt.
    shadowsoldier08
    i think the problem everybody has with deathcore is that, yes they do all sound very similar, but the GOOD bands sound nothing like that garbagecore. its not like "zomg rock n roll nickleback pwns" where vocalists actually sing, and henceforth all sound different...grumbly cookie monster vocals sound to same regardless. dont hate the genre, hate the bands.
    Ktool The Girth
    Ender845 wrote: ok well first off ive never commented on any reviews,and i realize my comment wont change anything what so ever. Why do people hate on music so much on here? we all have diffrent tastes. Hell my 3 favorite genres would be melodic death metal, black metal, and deathcore, and of course alot of people hate me for that last one. i get you dont like the music and yes i realize that about 3/4 of deathcore bands can barely play there instruments, but that doesnt change the fact i like it. My point in this long, stupid rant is basically what everyone else is saying. If you dont like then say so in a respectful way atleast, these people are following there dreams and making music they love. If that is considered a reason then to look down on someone, then go ahead and flame the shit outta me XD.
    Basically you mean youre favorite genre is metal?
    Human371
    chernobyl516 wrote: what i dont think people understand is that this music is simply a form of expression for the members of the band itself. what's the point of bashing one's expression or dreams? most people don't get this far in music... so how can one call it "shit?" if it was "shit", then they would have never made it as far as they had. clearly many people like this band. so your negative input is simply a waste of time. the people that like it will like it and the people that dont will not like it. your punitive comments most likely arent going to change a person's opinion on this band unless they dont have an opinion. and if they dont have an opinion, let them judge for themselves. i find it sad that in this day and age, people are still immature enough to call music bad. one cannot define bad music because people all have different tastes. maybe the dissonance of chelsea grin is appealing to some. have you ever heard free jazz? that's music, but to the ear of some is just noise. point is, if your opinion is negative... dont argue that the band is "bad" or "shit." let people make their own judgments and respect the judgments of other.
    I agree with you, man. However, as a fan of good Deathcore (there is such a thing!) I am disappointed because:
    Sirwinston89 wrote: The worst part about all of these deathcore bands coming out now, isn't even how bad they may or may not be, but how in every review, they are hailed as being one of the few standout bands in the genre. My point is, according to UG, there have been about 7 new deathcore bands that are the "exception to the rule" of cookie-cutter deathcore.
    right...These bands really are cookie cutter. If you dont like deathcore, fine. With bands like some of these I can see why. You want innovation and a great live show from a deathcore band check out Arsonists get all the girls.
    EpiExplorer
    NakedBassist wrote: If you have a problem with deathcore, or this band in particular, why the **** are you bothering to a. read a review about a deathcore band and b. share your OPINION on the matter. Seriously, are you people seven years old?
    Its to see wether there is some form of good deathcore, theres like, a review a day on the shit and none of its good. And I sold my explorer long ago, funnily enough >.>
    Vince0707
    Good review man..i like this album. for those of us who like heavy music in the deathcore scene this album is fun. is it the most breakthrough and musically talented album out there?...NO, but its not supposed to be.and even the skeptics have to admit, those vocals are ridiculous;y awesome even if he can't pull them off live. technology is a beautiful thing haha
    SamuraiLP
    Boy do I love the saviors of comment boards playing the "personal opinion" advocate and "everyone's an individual." Kid's don't care. Your intelligent, world weary and cynical opinions will be shot down by conformity, through xXbro0talityXx It very well may suck, but no ones willing to admit it, and they'll shoot you down if you do, Bashers and flamers, fanboys and then the self proclaimed protagonists that rise against this sinful, ever so sinful, problem of people calling music they don't like shit.
    Eurasian_C
    My friend booked a show with them on it over the summer. Probably one of the worst bands I've ever seen. They were on tour with Those Who Lie Beneath, now THERE'S a ****ing cool band to listen to. These idiots just backhop and DUN DUN DUN all day.
    chernobyl516
    cworosz24
    This is my first post ever on UG and why are you people even reading this review if you don't like deathcore. I'm a metal fan in general. All forms. I agree that it's an aquired taste of music and not enough people take time time to look at it from a musical perspective. Take a band like August Burns Red or After the Burial. Most people wouldn't like them, but those bands are quite good at guitar. Anyways. I'm going on too much. I bought this album and I like it. If you like breakdowns, heavy riffs, sweeps, and pig squeals. You'll like this album. Buy it. They need your support.
    HolyYetti
    I met the singer of this band in a Vans store in Las Vegas randomly Nice guy, bad music
    ThatWouldBeJon
    For the record, i didn't write this review for fanboy status or for it to be bashed relentlessly, yes we all know every deathcore band sounds the same, and that the music sucks and whatever else but its an aquired taste of a genre. i wrote this review based on my first hand impressions. but before you bash this some more maybe try to give this band a listen from a musical standpoint not an "oh another shitty deathcore band" point of view
    NakedBassist
    Panasonic3
    yoozum wrote: "Im f--king sick of all the lies and all the treachery I was always by your side and this is how you repay And after all these years you f--king turned your back on me? I cant believe I ever considered you family I will never forget this knife you placed in my back Recreant... These are considered to be good lyrics? Sounds like something Linkin Park would do.
    haha lol. all the deathcore reviews are the same, saying that not much deathcore is good but "this" is the exception, and they all have the "most amazing lyrics." reviewer stated it needed better songs and it dragged on too long but still gave it a 8?? baaaddddd....
    Sirwinston89
    metallifreak77
    I knew the singer in high school... not well but enough to hate him. And all his little hardcore friends. Send help to SLC, UT. They need it now more than ever with a crappy music scene like this.
    yoozum
    Progis8strings
    I'm not huge on Deathcore by any means and this band's name makes them even less attractive as a listen. Just saying, naming matters.